In need of carb Guru's

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by ddedman, Jun 16, 2015.

1. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

I know that there is a wealth of knowledge out there in regards to the carburetors used for the IH's. Here is my dilemma, I have been chasing a gas smell around my scout and have most of it figured out except the constant smell of gas within the engine compartment. First I looked leaks and found none, verified float position, thought it could be running rich so adjusted the fuel mixture screws till I had steady idle (no vacuum gauge) and all in all the scout itself runs relatively well with the exception of difficulty starting when hot (seems flooded, hold the pedal to the floor and it clears and starts). First off I am new to messing with carbs so be gentle. Prior to first start I did clean the carb and replace the gaskets but that is about as far as I am comfortable in going as far as rebuilds. I believe this is a holley 2300. It is stamped 428091-C91 list 6380 101. I dont know what jets are in it as I did not verify that when the bowl was off. I also dont know what CFM it is. I would suspect the 350 CFM version just by estimating the size of the Venturi? I pulled the electric choke of for a visual inspection for leaks and found what appears to be seepage from the base gasket and or a possible leak from the cam lever that controls the choke idle speed.

[​IMG]

I guess what I am looking for from the experts is your thoughts and direction I should go. I have an idea that a proper rebuild and new base plate gasket is probably the answer however want your opinions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Time for a rebuild. It is leaking the fuel out of the bowl, which is likely why it has hard starts, no fuel in the bowl, manifold is flooded. Try to find a rebuild tutorial for you model to see if they are known for cracks or anything like that. It is not difficult work, but take lots of pictures of the linkages when you take it apart so you know how it goes back together.

3. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Hello I've had alot of stock scout carbs in the past. When they go bad some can be saved and some can 't as the bodys can warp. It's up to you but if you have a 2bbl and want to stay 2bbl i'd get a new or refurbished one with a warranty. 2 I can recommend and have used are the hollley 2300 I have the 500cfm but I believe they came with a 350cfm. My 500cfm made good power. But it was not good for off roading. They can be made to do well but i never did try.I also recomend the motorcraft 2100 model 2bbl. Jeep guys love em as they give good performance stock and work great offroad in stock condition. NOt sure what cfm mine was I'd guess it was at least 350cfm......... Just some ideas for you I wasted time rebuilding old warped carbs and it was a waist of time but yours may be fixable....... Good luck!!!!!
    brandon

4. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

The numbers on that carb indicate it was originally for a 1970 304 with auto trans @ 275 cfm delivery. So it is an original design model 2300. Those are good carbs. I concur with previous assessments that it is time for a "frame off resto" on that mixer. Gentle spritzes of carb cleaner hither and yon won't git-r-dun. There are plenty of "how to" write ups, books and videos out there on the owlgorz interwebz. It isn't rocket science. Spend a little time lernin' yerself up guuder, get the correct Holley brand rebuild kit and have at 'er.

5. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Ok thanks..

6. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Evidently i did not verify the float position well enough. Mechanic friend of mine took a quick look and tinkered with the float and no more "heavy" fuel smell. Now to get the idle and fuel mixtures back on track. I will offer some advice. I decided to go with the electric choke and wish inhad done the manual version instead. I suppose that once you find the sweet spot it will work well. Just a long road to get there. Personal preferences im sure..