I'm so PROUD of myself!

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by GreatScout, Jun 20, 2005.

1. GreatScout

GreatScout Farmall Cub

Folks, I've been doing a lot of first time stuff on my Scout & it's really starting to pay off. I'd painted the body most of last summer (still have to give it a final wet sand & polish). This last couple of months I went ahead & painted the hard top as well as the windshield frame. My windshield was cracked, so I was opting to replace it at the getgo. Bought the windshield seal from Lightline of LA at the '04 Redezvous, and the windshield from Pull N Save in March. For two weeks I couldn't find the windshied seal :eek: Searched every 'logical' box I had in storage to no avail....until yesterday morning :D Installed the glass single handedly with some twine, some Murphy's liquid oil soap and a 5" suction cup. I'm just SO dang proud!! I've pics to upload but they're too large, so I gotta edit them down first. Rats! Here they are now.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  2. MikeInMobile

MikeInMobile High Wheeler

Glad to hear that you were able to DIY. Ive always thought it too tricky to try myself. :eek:

Dont you just love it when a plan comes together? :D

3. GreatScout

GreatScout Farmall Cub

Yeah, but ya know...I was sweating over misplacing that seal! How could I have done that?! I was on the verge of buying another one cause I was pressed for time (moving in July; gotta finish the painting, use the Scout to move stuff, give up the garage . . . and NO WINDSHIELD!!). I'm sighing in relief now for sure! The install wasn't all that bad once I figured out where the twine needed to wrap around the seal (originally had it just behind the outer lip rather than tucked inside the frame seal lip). The service manual pics are so dark you can't really make out what's what, and only four sentences to describe what you need to do...almost felt like I was on my own anyway.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  4. Darel

Darel High Wheeler

I was the same way until I just tried it myself, figuring on an 800 they're all flat panes anyway so if I broke it no big deal. Ended up putting all the seals on all my glass and saving myself a ton of money. BTW, weren't those 90* corners on the windshield a bee-yotch? :) The other 3 windows combined took less than half the time the windshield took because of those corners.

D

5. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Good going! You gonna bring it to RMIHR and show off your new paint job?

Roy

6. GreatScout

GreatScout Farmall Cub

Yeah, those corners WERE a PITA, but a few good tugs on the twine (cutting off my finger circulation in the process) and it came through. Roy: I really plan on bringing to RMIHR, but I want to be absoultely sure it'll cope with the altitude through Fairplay and overall get me there & back without setback. Fingers crossed & hopes high. Otherwise it's the Jetta again