IHSTO Binder Bee 2008

Discussion in 'IH Scouts & Trucks of Oregon' started by M. Mayben, Oct 8, 2007.

1. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

The 2008 coin is REALLY spectacular!!!!

And...Mike Richards and family WILL be able to join us at the Bee this year!!! They are coming home and bringing the coins with 'em!!

We got TONS of loose ends ta wrap up...but tha Bee IS gonna happen!

2. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Seems to be some really nasty "rumors" floating around regarding IHCC Chapter 30 "official" participation (or lack there of) in the 2008 Binder Bee. For the record...

In a telephone conversation on Nov. 12, 2007, a Chapter 30 representative informed me that they had decided to DECLINE a "sanction" for Binder Bee 2008 as one of "their" events. This decision was made by Chapter 30 BEFORE the IHSTO planning committee had even begun to formulate a proposal regarding a joint venture, much less set up a meeting to discuss any potential arrangements or "invite" Chapter 30 to participate.

So IHCC Chapter 30 has NEVER been included in Binder Bee planning activities for this year's event...at THEIR request!

That said...Chapter 30 has been PERSONALLY INVITED by me, along with over 125 similar special interest groups and organizations with a mailed invitation offering them booth space to promote their organizations at NO CHARGE other than the regular show registration fee, or the walk-in visitor fee which is collected by IHSTO volunteers for Powerland. This mailing consisted of six pages of information and this was IN ADDITION to the individual mailings of the multi-page brochure that Lyle and Linda have sent out this year. I believe that mailing alone was in excess of three hundred pieces.

As of this date, NO RESPONSE has been received regarding our invitation, even though some of their members have pre-registered for the Bee. And they have floated a rumor that IHSTO is charging $15 PER SHOW VEHICLE/ITEM. That rumor is DECIDEDLY NOT TRUE, anyone can download the pre-registration document and CLEARLY understand that FACT!

And for three years, the registration fee has remained the same...even though for 2008 we are taking a MAJOR bath due to greatly increased costs on all fronts. But we have a commitment to keep regarding the VERY MINIMAL registration fee and we are going to honor that commitment. It's too bad that petty crap like this even comes up...but as in all large special interest activities..."politics" can float to the top like sewage at any time.

3. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Mike,

I am glad to see that there is some on record clarification here, since some awfully hard to hear information has been floating around out there of late. I knew it couldn't be true, and am glad to hear that we are getting some good offical word on the street so we can hopefully end anymore rumors from getting any further entrenched, or possibly starting.

I don't know if it's politics, probably a really bad case of the old game of "telephone" more than anything else, which seems to pervade groups that don't utilize venues like this to keep their communication loops focused.

Having been in your shoes, I can tell you that this sort of "rumor control" happens all the time. Glad to see you are being pro-active on the situation.

Cheers,

John

4. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Crosspost from this thread:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73623

One of many activities available during Binder Bee 2008 is a chance to run your rig on one of two, old skool Peerless engine analyzers. We have 22 time slots available for 45 minute evaluation sessions which will be spread over Saturday and Sunday. Anyone wanting to run their rig on the machines MUST sign up at the registration desk when they check in for a time slot. This is a first come, first serve kinda deal and ya gotta sign up at the desk...DO NOT call or email Lyle or me for a slot!

While each of the machines is equipped with either a "first" or "second" gen exhaust gas analysis capability, only one of 'em is functional at this time. We will try and accommodate anyone's desire to "see" an idle air/fuel ratio if time allows. This test component can be extremely flakey to use in an outdoor environment under continuous use, so if it breaks down during test we're SORRY in advance!

If your rig is equipped with a Delco-type large cap HEI ignition system (internal coil), then you MUST supply us with an appropriate "pigtail" to allow access to the harness connector in order to hookup the analyzer(s)!

In order to be able to personalize each diagnostic session, we must know in advance what the vehicle parameters are for the rig under test. I've attached a file which may be downloaded/printed that will be used for this purpose. Participants will be given this doc at the time of signup and it must be filled out in advance and accompany the vehicle in the diagnostic lane.

The diagnostic lane area is adjacent to the vehicle/product display area, but will allow extended engine running without impacting show visitors with noise and exhaust gas. And normal, "shop safety" practices will be observed during vehicle testing.

So...if ya wanna sign up for a diagnostic slot, download/complete and bring the attached docs with ya to the Bee!

Ya can pick up the .pdf files to download from post #27 in the linked thread.

5. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

The show grounds layout for Powerland is now ready for viewing.

We will be spreading out over a much larger area for this year's edition to reflect the growth in the show over the years. Keep in mind however, the attached map does NOT show the whole of Powerland which covers nearly 60 acres. There are MANY attractions and additional museums on the grounds for checking out in addition to the Binder Bee itself.

The Brooks Depot Museum folks will once again have all kinds of grub and drinks available at the Depot! Shorty's Boy's BBQ menu is now set for the Saturday evening feed/awards/raffle event. That will be followed by "story hour" for the kidz while the rest of us chew whatever fat is left over from the day. And get this...the "Ice Lady" in the Country Store has now installed an ATM so there is NOT any excuse for not buying swag!

The stationary engine/product display area will be behind an enclosed area (snow fence) so that these items can be operated in a more suitable, safe manner. Anyone who is intending to operate a stationary engine needs to have a fire extinguisher included with the exhibit. Same for the Diagnostic Lane (we will provide the fire extinguishers). This will keep the noise and exhaust gas away from the general crowd.

And...once setup begins on Wednesday afternoon, this layout will be massaged somewhat to reflect current grounds conditions.

To view the show grounds layout, go to this thread and look at post #28:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73623

6. Brad Anderson

Brad Anderson Farmall Cub

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  7. Brad Anderson

Brad Anderson Farmall Cub

That Dyno was personally owned by a former member of Chapter#30. He no longer owns it. (heard it was sold to a "puller") so no, it won't be there.

Brad

8. Jack Bailey

Jack Bailey Farmall Cub

I would just like add that the rumors are just that, Rumors. I had a nice conversation with Carl last night to help clarify IHCC 30 posistion. We have 6 directors each one chooses a show to attend with the tent. This year 6 other shows were chosen but members attend shows of their preference. IHCC30 has a strong relationship with IHSTO and we hope to grow that in the future.
    Jack

9. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

So there you have it.

Rumors that have taken on a life of their own...and perpetuated with each retelling by continued regurgitation.

I do know how this whole pile of crap got started and who continued to spread it around. And there are some folks who seem to dwell in negatives without an understanding of what is real and what is fabrication...or can't tell the difference.

This issue is now dead. IHSTO has a process for dealing with this stuff, the process was employed, end of discussion. Those that need to know...know. For others...it's none of their business.

We have a show to produce, we're gonna get it done. Too bad needless/worthless crap gets in the way but that is life, organizations are no different than individuals.

10. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Jack,

Thank you again for calling me last night. Email works, and when face to face is impossible the next best thing is a phone call. I am glad we were able to put the situation behind us and make clear where both clubs were standing. The participation of IHCC 30 and the rest of the tractor crowd is a vital part of the Great Western Binder Bee and I would hate to see the relationships between the two clubs go down the drain for lack of communication between the two clubs. It will me my mission to make sure this doesn't happen again. We've got two great clubs here and we have great potential if we act together.

Thank you again.

Carl

11. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

A big "Thank You" to Carl and Jack Bailey for getting these issues solved. All it takes is direct communication with the parties involved, which just seems to be hard to do at times.

I now have a better understanding of how IHCC30 is structured which will be very helpful in strenghthening our relationship with each other.

Thanks again guys,

Lyle

12. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

Just an update on the trail conditions. The loop we will be running is open and very scenic. Lots of places to take pictures and stop for breaks. Trails have a few challenging spots for stock scouts but nothing impassable. Trail ride is an all day event so please bring a good lunch with lots of fluids and clothes to match the varying condititions that the coast range has to offer. Trail ride sign up sheet will be at the registration desk. Hope to see you there!

13. Cory Smith

Cory Smith Farmall Cub

Looking forward to the show guys. See you friday!

14. ihfarms

ihfarms Farmall Cub

Wish I could be out there for this.I know first hand after my trip with my travelall that it is beautiful country out there.I'm already planning something for next year.I know I didn't want to leave.

15. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Keep your eyes on the web site and our website- www.ihsto.org
    As soon as information is available on Binder Bee 2009, it will be posted.

Sorry you can't make it this year. It is a great part of the country to be in. I guess you could say my opinion is very slanted in one direction since I live in that great part of the country. :yes:

Lyle

16. John Donnelly

Weather forecast for Friday...

Low to Mid 80's and sun, sun, sun!!!!!

:)

Looking forward to the good times as always.

-John

17. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

All the t's are being crossed and the i's are being dotted for what will be the best Binder Bee ever. Many, many hours of work have been put in by the show committee this year. The work is continuing as I write; last minute printing, registration packet stuffing, supplies being loaded and emails flying.

I have it on good authority Cyndi from Binder Books will be at the Bee on Saturday with whatever she can pack in her pickup. Hopefully, her plans do not change at the last minute.

When at the show, be sure to check out all the other vendors who will be on site. A couple of "firsts" this year is Dave the Gear Man and Warn Industries.

The show chair, Mike Mayben, has been spending many, many hours "selling" this year's show. His wife, Kathy and Matt Guerino have been working tirelessly on kids activities, a much more expanded feature for the 2008 Bee, so bring the kids. Also, Kathy and Mike have been securing raffle prizes. Don't forget to visit the IHSTO booth and purchase your tickets. We will have a $1 and $10 raffle for some great prizes, as well as a kids raffle.

Again this year, Shorty's Boy's Texas BBQ will be on site with lots of food and providing the food for Saturday evening's dinner. Tickets this year are $9, a very modest increase of $1 over last year. The same dinner will cost more at the Truck Show. Plan on joining everyone for dinner Saturday night followed by the presentation of the awards and raffle prize drawing. Bring your lawn chairs when you come down for dinner.

Also, on the Powerland site is the Country Store with ice, ice cream, corn dogs and other snack foods. The Country Store hopes to have an ATM on site during our show.

The ladies of the Depot Museum will again be out selling their yummy pastries. Be sure to visit them while at the show.

This year's trail ride has been checked by Trail Master Dan and promises to be a fun ride on Sunday, so be sure to sign up at registration.

The awards are mounted, thanks to Mike Mayben and the coins have arrived from Korea accompanied by Mike Richards, who will be at the show this year.

Tee shirts will arrive on Friday covered with artwork designed by Carl Wiese. Carl is also responsible for all rest of the show artwork; awards, coins (with assistance from Mike Richards), flyers, brochures and the banner ad you see here on the Bulletin and the ihsto.org site.

I just received an email from Red Nelson of the Truck Museum. He fired up the KB 8 log truck yesterday, without asking. This is nothing but great support for our show. The PNWTM's KB8 will be the centerpiece for our IH on the Log Deck display this year. If you see Red, be sure to thank him for his help and the loan of the KB for our show.

A big round of applause go to the entire show committee this year. :clap: :clap:

All is ready........................Let's have a show.

Lyle

18. John Donnelly

Kudo's to the entire show staff for all their hard work. I know we are all looking forward to all the new things, and also all the good times.

A big :thumbs up: to the event staff!

:ihtractor:

-John

19. Wbrent7766

Wbrent7766 Farmall Cub

Man, works going to drag today. All I can think about is getting to the BEE tommorrow morning. See you all there.
    Wes

20. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Everyone,

We are already at the grounds getting ready for the show. If anyone has any questions, please call the show coordinator at

Most of the show committee will not be near computers so posting to this thread my not glean an immediate answer, so for questions, please call the above number.

Carl Wiese