IHSTO Binder Bee 2008

Discussion in 'IH Scouts & Trucks of Oregon' started by M. Mayben, Oct 8, 2007.

1. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Stikee it up here Greg! John...can ya add this to the web site Events calendar for us?
    (edit...THANK YOU for the stikee Greg!)

As Carl announced at the October 2007 club meeting, the 4th Annual Great Western Binder Bee, 2008 edition is now locked in with the venue, Antique Powerland in Brooks, OR for July 11th>13th, 2008.

Planning has begun in full swing and will be a discussion point with past and current Bee planning committee members during the Dunes trip this coming weekend.

Chris, Amber, John, Jack, and Mike passed on a wonderful archive documenting past Bee planning activities and events, this will be enhanced during the next several months as we move forward for the 2008 event. Kathy will be incorporating the process in a project plan (her area of expertise) and participating in all planning activities.

Right now...we need MANY volunteers for various assignments TBD. We need NEW BLOOD to help us in this effort so that this event will be even larger and have greater impact on the IH community for the coming year and the future of our organization.

Because of the diverse nature of our club participants being spread all over the northwest (and beyond), travel to meetings will be minimized through the use of a toll-free conference call system we have available. And we'll fully utilize the IHSTO website as a communications tool since Chris has now fabbed it into a fully functional tool and is looking for content!

The email contact for all Bee 2008 inquiries so that it can be managed separately from my other activities, and be accessible from my cell when I'm outta pocket from La Casa is:

rodelizrd@gmail.com

Also...PLEASE...DO NOT "IM/PM" me...I DON'T deal in that playground whatsoever, either here on the BB or on my cell. However, I WILL respond when appropriate to voice and MMS on my cell (BEST form of contact), that number is: 510.501.3680 and DOES have vmail active. No one is more connected than me...but IM/PM is way over the top and I consider that stuff kidtoyz and of no value.

Let's try and keep all Binder Bee-related content to this thread so that we don't have multiple locations spreading Bee information all over the place.

Stay tuned...the NEXT BIG DEAL is on the way!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  2. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

OK kids...here's my ONE and ONLY PLEA for warm bodies who will COMMIT to doing stuff! Producing events such as the Bee takes MUCH in the way of resources, both human...and financial. And....right now...we need HUMAN resources.

We need folks who will handle their assignments from start to finish, and be available on-site at the Bee/2008 for the duration of the event to insure everything runs smoothly. That means from the start of setup (the campground needs to be established BEFORE the morning of Thursday, July 10, 2008), through the teardown/cleanup phase on Sunday evening.

Here's the committee positions and current "volunteers" who have committed to making Bee/08 the biggest and best yet:

1) Committee Co-chairs: Michael Mayben/Kathy Schnobrich
    a) manage show production
    b) manage planning process
    c) manage advance inquiries for participants/guests
    d) liaison with all involved Powerland personnel and representatives from Powerland-affiliated organizations

2) Campground Coordinator: Lyle Wiese
    a) organize/assign/mark out actual campground allocations
    b) manage campground facility from move-in thru move-out

3) Registration Coordinators: Linda and Lyle Wiese
    a) organize registration packages
    b) manage actual registration process throughout show

4) Show Grounds Coordinator: Michael Mayben
    a) exhibit grounds layout/setup/signage
    b) co-prepare Vendor "Village" setup
    c) games space setup
    d) organize the IHSTO Guest Services Patrol
    1) TBA
    2) TBA
    e) prepare a secure/monitored display area for operational stationary engine exhibit

5) Theme/Media Production Coordinator: Carl Wiese
    a) develop theme and artwork for all media, t-shirts, stickers, etc.
    b) manage outside sourcing of all media materials

6) Sponsor/Vendor Coordinator: Michael Mayben
    a) manage vendor/sponsor inquiries/applications/confirmations
    b) co-prepare Vendor/Sponsor "Village" setup
    c) manage "special guest" activities/requests
    d) arrange food/beverage catering

7) Judging/Awards Coordinator: OPEN (need a volunteer ASAP)
    a) select/prepare all awards
    b) select/train/manage judging team

8) Communications Coordinator: OPEN (need a volunteer ASAP)
    a) manage outside "PR" activities
    b) manage show committee communications system (radios)
    c) tower announcer for show activities

9) IHSTO Booth Coordinator: Kathy Schnobrich
    a) PR for distributing club information to visitors

10) Special Activities Coordinator: Matt Guerino, with assistance from
    Kathy Schnobrich and Mike Roth
    a) planning/management of "games"
    b) arrange for n=2 outside resources for "technical" presentations
    c) manage donations for raffle

11) Trail Run Coordinator: Dan Hayes

Email me WHICH position you will commit to, Ideally we'd like to have all positions filled by the Nov. 1 club meeting so we can announce and move forward.

DO NOT let the expense of "travel" to face-to-face meetings deter you from participating, we will be doing MANY toll-free conference call meetings, and also using a "web meeting" resource with few face-to-face activities. Out-of-region/out-of state warm bodies are WELCOME, all we ask is that you be an IHSTO member AND follow through with the commitment! We need NEW BLOOD here...the "regulars" who carry the load of club activities need HELP!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  3. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Hands are NOT being raised for Binder Bee organizing committee positions near as quickly as we need!!!

Our first face-to-face committee meeting will be on Saturday morning, Dec.8 at 12pm, location is Lyle and Linda's place in Oregon City.

Once that initial meeting is in the can, then most subsequent activities will be handled by conference call and web meetings, so VERY minimal travel/gas burnin' will be required.

Now's the time to get involved, we need NEW BLOOD and NEW IDEAS to continue to build on an extremely solid foundation.

We have vendors and sponsors lining up now and we haven't even begun to organize information and packages for them. If they are on board already...where's the membership we need so badly to pull this off yet again???? As Carl stated at this month's meeting...we have 317 IHSTO members on the books...it's time to come outta the lurk mode and give us a hand!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  4. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Mike is correct. We do need new blood and ideas for this year's show. Those of us who have been involved from the start want a break. Besides, new ideas will keep the show fresh and it won't become "the same old IH show like last year".

We do already have one new idea from Colin; a stationary engine display with engines actually performing work. But this will take more than Colin presenting the idea.

The more of you involved with the production of the show, the easier it will be to put on.

Lyle

5. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

OK...after layin' a guilt trip on Matt Guerino...HE'S IN! His assignment is TBD, but he WILL be at the initial Bee/'08 meeting on Dec. 8!

Anyone else????

6. Matt G

Matt G Farmall Cub

No guilt was necessary - I've enjoyed and benefitted from the hard work of the core IHSTO membership for a couple years now, so when I saw the requests for help I blocked out the time. I'm glad to have the chance to contribute to the club in some small way.

Many of IHSTO's other 300+ members are in the same boat as me - please consider investing a few hours per month for the next few months to keep things going strong.

Otherwise you might see Mike go vigilante on a few people... :cowboy: :gun_bandana:

7. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

8. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

There was NO TALK of eliminating the trail run from OFISHUL Binder Bee activities Dan!

I just need to know POSITIVELY that it IS gonna happen and YOU are gonna ramrod the deal.

So now...based on YORE input...it WILL continue to be a component of Binder Bee planning!

Thanks for kickin' in!

9. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

During my tenure as the president of this club in it's infancy, I learned one valuable lesson.

There is a group that gets it done, and then there is a group that essentially just follows along because someone planned something fun.

The problem is, those that follow do not realize the amount of work it takes to keep things going strong. In 3 years I was so tired and my BP was so high I had to take things down a considerable amount.

If more hands and brains share the load, things are not only better, but folks stay interested longer, and we build something that lasts for a long time.

If we don't invest of ourselves, we die.

So.. those of you that are part of "The 300"... should remember that those Spartans that number about 17 are working their collective butts off and you might want to consider givng back to an organization that has given you so much.

Sorry for the rant, but I am tired of seeing good people work themselves to the bone like this and not get any help when we have such a large organization and many hands to lend to make light work.

Come on people!!!

-John

10. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

11. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I placed my order via mail. When I get mine, I will post pics.

I ordered the USAF hot weather boots for my ever-evolving OBDR uniform.

-John

12. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

IHSTO Gang,

I'm probably not going to make it to the meeting on the 8th...

I have every intention of making it to the Bee in '08. I'm going to reserve my leave dates in January.

Can you pencil me in for parking duty? Or latrine / trash detail? ( I CAN provide references. ) I'll be willing to help out with anything that requires a strong back and weak mind.

I'll be happy to procure the coins again this year if ya'll can provide some artistic design or guidance. Do you have a theme or focus for the Bee this year (like the IH centennial in '07)? I've also had an inspiration for another "goodie" I'm going to check out! If there's any other way I can help out "in absentia," PLEASE let me know.

Regards, Mike Richards

13. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

GREAT ta hear from ya Mike!!!!

Linda, Lyle, and I had a GREAT meeting yesterday with the Powerland Board of Directors...now we are ALL on the same page regarding Bee/'08 and planning will move rapidly ahead on our end!

The theme and artwork is in the can...the announcement will be made to the IHSTO membership at the Xmas dinner and then posted on the BB. I had a call late last night from a Powerland board member...they are REAL EXCITED about our chosen theme and we're looking forward to additional activities and efforts on their part to make tha upcoming Bee REALLY representative of the Great Northwest!

Stand by for more info...our initial planning session will be this coming Saturday...once the details are ironed out, we're gonna plug ya in. I gayrondamteeya...it WON'T be for latrine duty though! When ya can, send me some deetale regarding your projected "availability" during the Bee time frame...I got the PERFECT job in mind for ya!

We'll let ya know about the coin deal early next week (Dec. 9).

THANK YOU for doin' whatcha DO!

14. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

For those of you who did not attend the IHSTO Xmas meeting, Carl announced the theme for Binder Bee 2008.

Following is a crosspost from the "Events" forum:

The theme for the IHSTO Great Western Binder Bee has been finalized. In celebration of the great heritage and culture of the timber industry in the Pacific Northwest, we have selected:

"International Harvester On The Log Deck"

As the most important industry in this part of the world, we will be shining the spotlight on the small, independent logging operations which were so prevalent in the 40's>60's in the region. By far, the vehicles of choice for crew operations and timber hauling carried the IH badge, and we're fortunate to have some remnants of typical, small time logging operations that will be showcased in Vendor Village, along with the signature vehicle, a KB 8 timber hauler as discussed in this thread:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums...ight=log+truck

The signature logo for Bee/08 will be revealed soon.

15. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Here's a cross-post from the events forum:

The Great Western Binder Bee 2008 registration form, along with camp ground reservation information is now available for download.

The spaces for full hookup (no black water connection) for the RV folks are limited, so make your reservations ASAP, space allocation will be assigned in the order in which reservations are received. As always...there is virtually unlimited space for dry camping/tents.

Those of ya planning to camp on Friday night, make plans to add a dish to the legendary IHSTO potluck which will be hosted by the Binder Bee Planning Committee.

Thanks to Lyle for condensing the registration/reservation form down to two pages, that makes handling much easier for all!

Here's three versions for download, pick tha one easiest for ya!

Attached Files:

16. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

17. Matt G

Matt G Farmall Cub

Carl,

Looks fabulous!!

18. GregF

GregF moderator Staff Member Moderator

Outstanding job of capturing the theme this year!:cool2:

Greg

19. Chrispucci

Chrispucci High Wheeler

Carl also put together a little banner ad....

[​IMG]

He does nice work!!!

20. rick W.

rick W. Binder Driver

Why does the clock read 2005?