IHC VIN Decoder

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by RichW, Dec 11, 2008.

1. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

There are no 1966 Scout 80s. The Scout 80 serial numbers ended at FC124894 (the "A" is immaterial... just an indication of GVW class within the IH stable) and production ended July 14, 1965 (the last roll tests anyway, the line probably stopped earlier) and 800 production ramped up, the early models still using the old style serial number that started with "FC". Scout 800s debuted in late '65 as '66 MY Scouts and picked up at the old style serial number at FC150001 (to differentiate them from the Scout 80) before transitioning to the 13 digit VINs on December 12, 1965, at G165001 but the first Scout was G165294 (with a six digit model prefix before the "G").

Not to be insulting, just trying to clarify, you are sure yours is an 800 and the serial number is FC151121A? If so, then the tag is mismarked as an 80. Stranger things have happened. Your finger is covering up the last of the number so being the anal-retentive Binder Bookie that I am, I seek clarification. FC151121A would fit as a very early production Scout 800 built in late July of 1965. If you are not sure what yours is, post a front 3/4 view of your Scout and a full view of the serial number tag.

scout2000 likes this.
  2. Kokomala

Kokomala Farmall Cub

Could that "0" in front of "4x4" slipped?

3. BinderBookie

Good catch! That's exactly right and I can't believe I didn't see it! Makes it a very early Scout , which is cool in and of itself.

To the OP, I suggest you order the LST. Might be some interesting things to be found there!

4. MSUBulldog

MSUBulldog Farmall Cub

Cool, worked for my 73 Scout II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Colt84

Colt84 Farmall Cub

Hey Roy this colt out of Danbury iowa my dad is redoing a scout the serial number is FC32450 any help on finding what year it is will be much appreciated thanks in advance

6. Colt84

Colt84 Farmall Cub

My dad working on an old scout the serial number is FC32450 can anyone happen to know roughly what year that is thanks

7. BinderBookie

FC32450 would be an early 1962. 1961 VIN range runs from FC501-FC28865. 1962 runs from FC28866-FC58142. Build date is likely near the middle of December 1961 (still 1962 model year production. If you order the Line Setting Ticket, you will have the exact build date (denoted first by the roll test date and then the final inspection). You will also have the exact build configuration, the dealer to which it was shipped any a lot of other information.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. mbracing

mbracing Farmall Cub

Hi from Italy
    I do own one of the very few Scout SSII originally delivered new to my country. With the car documents there is the card shown here, how I can decode the numbers on it?
    Many thanks in advance.
    mbracing

57B8193D-99CD-4C08-A970-93DE7E7432C8.jpeg

winchested likes this.
  9. BinderBookie

J0052 is the model prefix indicating an SSII (J is the code for '79 and 52 for the SSII)
    JGD indicates: J-1979, G- Fort Wayne Indiana, D- Scout Assembly Line
    48474 is the sequential which for 1979 ran from 10001-54432
    The rest are a bare bones list of components, some of which I can decode from memory:
    12107= Export 345 2-barrel V8
    13428= 4-speed close ratio transmission
    02044= Dana 44 front axle
    14018= Dana 44 rear axle, open differential
    05281= power steering

Ordering the Line Setting Ticket from the Wisconsin Historical Society will answer all your questions; Email- askmccormick@wisconsinhistory.org and they will tell you how to order.

Attached is the full component list from the Service Fiche:

JGD48474.jpg

From this I can tell you it had the Black and Gold side applique (Baja Cruiser type), rubber fender lip extensions, off-road tire and rim package, AM radio, front tow hooks, bucket seats, automatic locking front hubs, sport steering wheel, heavy duty front and rear springs and shocks, modulated fan, and other stuff that too mundane to call out. Off hand, it's equipped very much like a Baja Cruiser. Be interesting to see if the LST has the Baja Cruiser Gold Star Package Code. That would give some insight on how export orders were handled.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    mbracing likes this.
  10. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

Well this gives new meaning to BinderBookie , you're a numbers man! I find this fascinating. Do you still use a microfiche?

11. mbracing

mbracing Farmall Cub

Thank you BinderBookie!
    Those info are priceless. From the above numbers is it possible to understand the original color of my Scout SSII or I should wait for the Line Setting Ticket that I already ordered thru the Wisconsin Hist. Society? (they say it will take few weeks to obtain the document).
    Do you think those Black and Gold side decals (Baja Cruiser type) are still available or remanufactured somewhere? I'll love to put it original as it was.
    Here there is a picture of my Scout SSII:
    1.JPG
    As soon as I will receive the LST I will post it for reference, can't wait to discover all the details!
    Kind regards from Italy.
    mbracing

12. BinderBookie

The Service Fiche does not list the paint code directly but it lists a 10770 paint instruction code. That is the code for a special paint job using a CT-399 paint. This was a special selection of paint colors over and above the standard color list and it cost $78 extra (about $272 in 2019 money). The LST will list the color but it may be VERY difficult to match by paint code. Usually in these cases an owner will find a spot of original color and have the paint shop scan and custom blend the paint. Yes, I'd VERY much like to see the LST. Once I have a look, I may be able to tell you more about any special features.

In any case, you have a Scout SSII that was the absolute top of the line with almost every option. IMO, it isn't a "true" Baja Cruiser unless it has the correct Gold Star code on the LST, but by features and appearance, it's a Baja Cruiser. Yes, the decals are available. I know Scout MAD ness has some listed http://www.scoutmadness.com/images/77SSII.jpg but there may be others.

Oh, and the 0335839 on the warranty card is the engine number.

mbracing likes this.
  13. mbracing

mbracing Farmall Cub

Thank you again BinderBookie it is an honour to have those info directly from you (BTW I just ordered your Scout book, hopefully it will arrive soon!).
    As soon as the LST will arrive I'll contact you again.
    Best regards,
    Mauro
    mbracing

14. mbracing

mbracing Farmall Cub

PS: I suppose that when in your previous message you write "12107= Export 245 2-barrel V8" this is a typing error as the engine is a 345, right?
    Thanks again!
    Mauro
    mbracing

15. BinderBookie

Felice di aiutare.
    (Isn't Google Translate wonderful?)

mbracing likes this.
  16. BinderBookie

Yes, a 345. Changed the post for future generations!

mbracing likes this.
  17. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Hey Mauro!

Great to see another SSII.

Someone has converted it to a standard Scout II and removed the soft top, soft doors and black plastic door inserts.

If you do eventually plan on taking it back to an original SSII there is a shop in Athens, Greece that could likely help you. They are currently restoring two SSIIs. Find them on Instagram

I am currently restoring an SSII more into a offroad/cruiser than a stock looking rig.

If you don't have the original black plastic door inserts there is only one company left making new fiberglass reproductions and they are in British,L Columbia, Canada. SCOUTPLUSS

Look forward to seeing what you do with this.

Ps. I got an Italian last name that immigration Canada screwed up back in the 1950s. Compoli but should be Campoli.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

mbracing likes this.
  18. mbracing

mbracing Farmall Cub

Hallo Winchested
    Thanks, I know the SSII should have the plastic doors (BTW I have the original soft top too) but the car I have it has been like this from when it arrived in Italy, so I’m curious to see what it will be written on the LST as BinderBookie says this is a special SSII with a lot of options, and it could be the car was ordered like this from new? Or may be the local importer did modify it at the time to make it more easy to sell in our market. Let’s see.
    Kind regards.
    mbracing

winchested likes this.
  19. BinderBookie

Not likely that an SSII would be ordered and altered when all they had to do was send a Scout Traveltop which had many more available options, plus the top and doors already installed. If that Scout was indeed purchased the way it is by the first Italian owner, then the importer would have to have been the one to alter it. Are you able to back track to the original owner and verify 100% this is the way it was purchased?

mbracing likes this.
  20. mbracing

mbracing Farmall Cub

The car had 3 owners before me, and I personally know the 2nd who told me that when he acquired it, the 1st owner told him so. I will investigate more on the subject!
    mbracing