IHC VIN Decoder

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by RichW, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Thomas

Thomas Dreams of Cub Cadets

---Maybe these little bits will help, but you probably already have this info, with #6 being incorrect. So, I would guess H is Deluxe trim (???)

-From my Mitchell Manuals:
    1234 = Model Code
    5 = Engine type
    6 = Cab or Body type
    Remaining = Chassis SN

---For my old 1978 Scout II with Deluxe trim packages, you show:

VIN Format: 1975-1980 International Light Truck

Decoding: H0062HGDxxxxx

<table border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>Digit</th><th>Usage</th><th>VIN</th><th>Decoded</th></tr><tr><td>1</td><td>Model Year</td><td>H</td><td>1978</td></tr><tr><td>2</td><td>Not Used</td><td>0</td><td>(Always Zero)</td></tr><tr><td>3-4</td><td>Model</td><td>06</td><td>Scout II (not pickup or Traveler)</td></tr><tr><td>5</td><td>Engine</td><td>2</td><td>gas (Scout) 304/345 V8, etc.</td></tr><tr><td>6</td><td>Year</td><td>H</td><td>1978</td></tr><tr><td>7</td><td>Plant</td><td>G</td><td>Fort Wayne, Indiana</td></tr><tr><td>8</td><td>Line</td><td>D</td><td>Scout</td></tr><tr><td>9-13</td><td>Sequential Serial #</td><td>xxxxx</td><td>xxxxx</td></tr></tbody></table>
    For my 1973.5 Scout II (1974) you show:

VIN Format: 1973-1974 International Light Truck

Decoding: 3S8S8CGDxxxxx

<table border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>Digit</th><th>Usage</th><th>VIN</th><th>Decoded</th></tr><tr><td>1</td><td>Model Year</td><td>3</td><td>1973</td></tr><tr><td>2</td><td>Drive</td><td>S</td><td>4WD (Scout)</td></tr><tr><td>3</td><td>Size</td><td>8</td><td>Scout II</td></tr><tr><td>4</td><td>Series</td><td>S</td><td>Scout II (non-pickup models)</td></tr><tr><td>5</td><td>Engine</td><td>8</td><td>V8 gas (scout)</td></tr><tr><td>6</td><td>Year</td><td>C</td><td>1973</td></tr><tr><td>7</td><td>Plant</td><td>G</td><td>Fort Wayne, Indiana (Scout)</td></tr><tr><td>8</td><td>Line</td><td>D</td><td>Scout</td></tr><tr><td>9-13</td><td>Sequential Serial #</td><td>xxxxx</td><td>xxxxxx</td></tr></tbody></table>
    ---All looks good, but a VIN check with SSS or LLP and purchase of a Line Set Ticket will show a lot more. I need to replace mine for the 78, it's about... unreadable. Nice keepsake if anything.

2. Mike Stevens

Mike Stevens Farmall Cub

Well I got my LST...this thing is pretty spot on.

3. RichW

RichW Farmall Cub

Not to resurrect year-old threads here... but I have moved the VIN decoder to www.VINwiz.com

4. blybrook

blybrook Farmall Cub

Thanks for the updated location, it'll make directing people to the new site easier.

Thanks again for the work on this.

5. swampedge

swampedge Farmall Cub

Worked for my 429 Torino but it will not decipher any of my Chrysler product VINs.

6. RichW

RichW Farmall Cub

It should decode most 1962-1980 Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth cars and Dodge pickup trucks. Anything before 1962 might have some problems or not work at all. The to-do list is never ending...

7. Sherilyn Bosch

Sherilyn Bosch Farmall Cub

Thanks for the decode site!! We have an old Loadstar here that we needed some info for and this helped a little. Good work!!

8. 61S80

61S80 Farmall Cub

Hi guys i'm looking for some help decoding FC5 282. I've looked this number up on some of the sites, as of yet I'm not having any luck. Can anyone help!

Thanks for your time

9. Will Marsh

Will Marsh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

There is no "decoding" that VIN, the only thing it tells you is that it was the 4,782 Scout built. (The first was FC00501, IIRC)

If you want to know how it was originally equipped, order a Lineset Ticket for it from the Wisconsin Historical Society or one of the Lightline vendors. Details in the Knowledge Base at the top of the forums.

HTH,

Will Marsh

10. hardluck83

hardluck83 Farmall Cub

hi I own a 1963 international Harvester C1000 pickup and i have only a 9 digit vin so i cant seem to get any help anywhere finding out what my truck is with stock parts, my biggest thing is i wanna know what size my motor is so i can get the right parts. please if ya know anything to help me i would really appreciate it

11. wideclyde

wideclyde Farmall Cub

Could you extend the knowledge I've gotten so far re: the VIN for my 1952 IH Metro van?

Model: SD220
    Chassis Serial #: 1864
    Serial #: 16773

I require the full VIN to get a notarized title.

Attached Files:

12. mallen

mallen Binder Driver

You need to order a document called a line set ticket. It may already be hidden in the vehicle. In my truck it was behind the glovebox. I'm not sure where they put them on scouts, I don't think the vin will tell you a lot on its own.

13. hibill66

hibill66 Farmall Cub

The VIN decoder is fun to play with, but on my 66 Scout 800 it wasn't entirely helpful. When I put in VIN fc159855a it said it couldn't decode the 9 digit VIN and asked me to send the vin with a vehicle description, but didn't tell me where. I noticed in one of your posts you said it couldn't do fc yet, so just for fun I just entered 159855a. It said I had a 1929-1932 Chevy truck of unknown series, built in Flint, MI. None the less, great work so far. good luck geting all the samples you need for your data base. Let me know it there is anything I can do to help.

14. scalhotrod

scalhotrod Farmall Cub

If I am reading your build plate correctly and based on what you provided, your full VIN # would be LM1201864 or possibly LM12001864. By the way, your Metro is a 1/2 ton model based on your model #, 120 = 1/2 ton

Technically either VIN is correct based on how IH did VINs on Metros in the 50's.

I own 2 3/4 ton vans or LM-122 models. My VINs are similarly coded, LM122XXXXX.

Chris

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. xMSizzle44x

xMSizzle44x Farmall Cub

Can you help me decode mine,says it's 2w drive i don't believe it.:scout: 2014-09-24-21-13-43.jpg

16. chopperkarl

chopperkarl Farmall Cub

Worked perfect on my 73 Scout. Very cool.

17. wombatisone

wombatisone Farmall Cub

Hi guys,

In Australia.

Just purchased yesterday a Scout. Rescued from the scrap man.

Vin plate details. SC 80 4x4 WB100
    SC2641
    2900lb
    3960lb
    L188

Has Australia 2149 and 1388 stamped on the firewall.

18. Koondawg

Koondawg Farmall Cub

Here is a screen shot of my VIN on a 1977 Loadstar. I don't know what model it is though. Maybe some of y'all gurus can help!

Attached Files: