IHC Inline 6 Discussion Group

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by John Donnelly, Jul 29, 2003.

1. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

You are right, the Tilt-valve valve covers have a ridge running the length of the cover, in addition to the cross-wise ones. FYI, the old non-tilt valve covers are 5 1/4" X 3 3/4", the Tilt-valve covers are 6" X 4 1/2"

2. G-force

G-force Farmall Cub

I recently bought a '55 metro that the seller had told me he had put a BG-265 in years ago. When I went to look at the block stamp, it is blank. Can someone tell me why it has been removed?

[​IMG]

3. G-force

G-force Farmall Cub

This engine also does not have the top ridge on the valve cover that seems to indicate the tilt valve design. Was there ever a BD-264, BG-265 made without tilt valves or do I have a frankenstien? It also has a 2 barrel carb on it.

4. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

I don't think the engine ID was removed, those coarse mill cuts would be factory. Looks like the ID stamp was never there to begin with.

5. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Measure your valve cover. If it is narrow (probably), then it isn't a Tilt-Valve. If it is wide, then it is a Tilt-Valve, but I'd be surprised to see a Tilt-Valve valve cover without the lengthwise ridge. If that is what you've got, I would think that it is a rare item!

6. Rob Peterson

Rob Peterson High Wheeler

If it is a BG-series it will be a tilt valve engine.

7. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

8. G-force

G-force Farmall Cub

To make things more confusing, I think when I compared the valve cover to the valve cover on a sd-220 I have in another vehicle, the one In the 55 was wider but only by like 1/4". I will look again today and take some pictures. Did they ever even make a non tilt bd-264?

9. G-force

G-force Farmall Cub

[​IMG] Well I never had time to snap pictures of the valve covers but I did drop the oil pan to clean it out and was surprised to see how clean it was. Obviously a fairly recent rebuild. Take a look.

10. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Wow! They even painted the walls to improve oil drainback! Quite impressive! If you've got the valve cover off too, are the valve stems straight up, or canted about 15 degrees compared to the pushrods?

11. G-force

G-force Farmall Cub

I removed the valve cover to find it must be a BD-264 with the non tilt valve head. The top end is just as clean as the bottom though. What a nice surprise to find a fresh rebuild in it. The owner did not mention it. I wondered why the odometer had been set back. Currently at 164 miles on the odo. Wonder if that's when the rebuild was done. I was surprised because the outsind of the motor was FILTHY!. I would have thought the builder would have cleaned the outside of the block if going to that length to rebuild it but I guess not.

12. Rob Peterson

Rob Peterson High Wheeler

I can't tell from the pics - are there stampings on the rod or crank caps to indicate a re-grind / rebuild?

Both my 1956 BD-264 non-tilt and my 1961 BD-240 tilt engine blocks were also painted on the inside just like your pictures, and AFAIK they were the original non-rebuilt engines. I believe the special paint is called Glyptal. A nice touch for a OE engine! I think the coating helps keep everything cleaner on the inside.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  13. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Wow! Not only did they have rotating exhaust valves and hardened valve seats, but Glyptal painted internals. IH rocks! Glyptal was developed ages ago by GE as a paint for the armatures in electric motors. They still sell it. Oil doesn't stick to it, which keeps the armatures cleaner, and I think the idea in painting the inside of the engine with Glyptal is that it would speed up oil return, as well as keeping everything nice and clean. So does anyone know of other IH engines that got the Glyptal treatment? Was it just for the BD series?

14. cebiii

cebiii Farmall Cub

Hey guys,
    I purchased a '54 IHC R100 with an SD220 in it, but when I was driving it a few weeks ago the connecting rod on one of the cylinders disintegrated and screwed up the oil pan. I'm planning to pull the engine and rebuild it, but does anyone have a source for internal engine parts, including the oil pan? I've been looking and I think I can source most of the parts, but the oil pan is eluding me.

Any help at all is appreciated! Thanks!

15. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Ouch! Is it amenable to some hammer and dolly work? If not, lots of the L/R/S series engines had the same oil pan. I've got an SD-240, but the oil pan has the same "220" stamp on it.

16. cebiii

cebiii Farmall Cub

No, the pan is shot. 3 large gashes in it, and its so thin I don't think I can patch it without major warping. Thanks for the help, I'll expand my search to other sd engines and hope I get something that fits.

17. scalhotrod

scalhotrod Farmall Cub

https://egge.com/
    There's a guy that I met at the SEMA show who used to be a mechanic for UPS. He serviced their Metro vans and is very familiar with that era of inline 6. Good luck to you...

18. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

cebiii,
    I have a pan, but I don't know what kind of shape it's in. It may be rusted on the inside. I'll get a closer look at it sometime in the next week.

Dean

19. cebiii

cebiii Farmall Cub

Wow thanks Dean. Let me know!

20. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

I got the pan off last night and started cleaning it up tonight. It had lots of sludge inside, but so far it's cleaning up really well. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish cleaning and get more pics tomorrow.

Dean DSC00196.JPG

scalhotrod likes this.