IHC Inline 6 Discussion Group

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by John Donnelly, Jul 29, 2003.

1. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

This thread is intended to be a discussion group for the Inline-6 cylinder IHC engines used in IHC trucks.

This group will not be limited to gasoline engines but will include Gas, Propane, Diesel, whatever....

I will start.

I have a 67' Travelall with the BG241 Engine. I would like to start a database of part numbers for things like filters, nice to know information like electronic ignition conversions, possible performance upgrades, and the like.

It could be that this group will break new ground. :)

Keep on Binderin',

John

2. Mernjohn

Mernjohn Farmall Cub

IHC 6 cylinder engines

I have IHC Motor Truck Service Manual Section B for BD 282 and BD 308 plus Section G for D-301 Diesel and Section L for D-354 Diesel. This info includes engine specs, torque charts and complete overhaul instructions.

Will do lookups and within reason make copies. Will try to scan the whole works.

Have the same info on 4-152, 266, 304 and 345.

Note: My shop manual was purchased in 1965 when I bought my Travelall. It won't have any info on later revisions.

Mernjohn

Last edited: Jul 30, 2003
  3. Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Super Mod from Downunder Staff Member Moderator

most of my experience with the inline 6 ihc engine was with the 281-282 engines, i used to maintain a fleet of hyster straddle trucks with IHC 240 engines in them, but parts were getting hard to get so i was converting them to the 281-282 the main difference in the 2 was the exhaust manifolds as the 282 had a 2 peice arrangement whereas the 281 had a 1 peice exhaust manifold, the problem with those was they cracked behind the exhaust flange. i sourced a set of headers for the 281 but they caused more problems than they solved, the result was the exhaust would scavange, then if you drove it at 60mph for any length of time the engine would boil even on the coldest of days. so obviously there was not enough fuel/air going into the engine to compensate for the headers. i beleive the solution for that would of been the use of the inlet manifold that was fitted as std to the 283 engine as fitted to the mk5 acco australian army trucks which were 4x4 and 6x6 used back in vietnam as they were fitted with dual carburettors but i never had the chance to see if it cured the problem.

the 281 was quite a torquey engine as my c1200 would pull close to 8000 lbs on quite a few occaisions - stopping it was another story! even though it was quite capable of acheiving 100mph.
    apart from the exhaust manifold and a gear box concern i never had reason to lay a spanner on it, so it was super reliable. it also ran a dual fuel setup with gasoline and liquified petroleum gas - the best thing i can reccommend for the 281 is LPG, it improved it dramatically improving not only economy but also power and drivability.

4. Andy McElhaney

Andy McElhaney Farmall Cub

Are we going to include the 232/258 AMC engines? I have been experimenting with intake manifolds, and would be willing to share my trials and tribulations.

5. Mernjohn

Mernjohn Farmall Cub

BD282/308 shop manual

I have scanned the IHC manual for these engines. The result is 58 pages in JPG format for a total of about 12 MB. Each page is an individual file. It seems a little large to post. Any suggestions on how to make it available?

Mernjohn

Attached Files:

6. John Donnelly

Re: BD282/308 shop manual

Ummm.... I don't think you can. :(

That is still proprietary information owned by Navistar.

If it is still available in re-print, you cannot supply it in any format. :(

I will inquire with BinderBooks, I have to stop there tomorrow anyway. If they say fine, then we can proceed. If not, then I guess we start posting pertinent data, handtyped.

Stuff like gaps, clearances, "neat to know" stuff. Just don't reproduce pages. :eek:

Binderin',

John

7. John Donnelly

Hmmm....

There is a LOT of information on the internet about those engines, perhaps if we stuck to the IHC portion of what was on the engine, I would have no objection.

AMC is well supported on the internet. Old IHC Sixers, not so much. OLDIHC.org is about the only site I know of with ANY info, and I find it lacking.

Keep on Binderin',

John

8. DougB

DougB Farmall Cub

Exactly my thoughts and the reason I asked for this group to be started.

Thanks John

My IHC 6 is a BG 265. Its in a '66 Travelette c1200. This truck appears to have been used by the Air Force on a base in South Dakota. Has a 4 speed behind it. Not sure of model as I haven't even crawled under it yet. So my questions will be coming once I get my Scout work done and start on the travelette.

P. S.
    If you didn't see it on the way to this Group Here is a link to
    HEI conversion BD240

Last edited: Jul 30, 2003
  9. Matt O'Bryan

Matt O'Bryan High Wheeler

A question for the group:

On the BD/BG series, where is the block split between the 240/264/280/308 engines? They aren't all based on the same block, are they???

10. Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Super Mod from Downunder Staff Member Moderator

i know the 240 is physically a lot smaller than the 281-282-283 series engines
    :D

11. John Donnelly

Not sure. Called Ernie Bisio with your question, he didn't know either.

He referred me to a guy who hasn't called back yet. :(

Do you think we could get Allan in here?

Binderin',

John

12. Goober

Goober Farmall Cub

Glad to see we this thread started. Maybe it will turn into a seperate frum in the future. I have a BD240 in my '58 A-120 and I also have the repair manuals for the 240 (as well as the rest of the truck). I'll be glad to share any info.

13. John Donnelly

Options on Carburetters

I have a Holley 1barrel carb on my BG241.

I was wondering if any of you have found better options in that department, as I am not a Holley carb fan. Of course if tuning the Holley for better performance is possible, I am all ears on that subject as well.

I would like to use a Rochester 2GC, or the like if making this Holley perform cannot be done. I can machine anything to make it fit, so that isn't an issue.

Binderin',

John

14. Andy McElhaney

Okay, I guess I will take my morphodite truck and hide in the corner!!:)

15. John Donnelly

Andy,

Don't hide in the durn corner......

Nobody objected, and perhaps I was a bit hasty.

Bring up whatever you wish, as long as it's an inline-6

Binderin',

John

16. Jim Grammer

Jim Grammer Editor at large Staff Member Moderator

Re: Options on Carburetters

John, I'm not hip to the 2GC. The Holley 1904 pretty much is what it is AFAICT. Mark P. highly recommends checking out the Rochester Monojet as used on the Chubbi inline 6's, I dunno ;)

17. John Donnelly

Re: Re: Options on Carburetters

I would love to chop up a manifold, and put a brace of polished 1bbl carbs (3 to be exact) on this engine.

Chrome the valve cover and side cover(s), and give the engine a nice fresh coat of the correct color of IH paint (another thing that I cannot find any data on :mad: ).

I really like I-6's, always have. They have a certain character about them that v-8's lack in my book. That, and given that IHC 6's have the same kind of grunt as Diesels.... it's only logical that I should love them. :)

Any chance you could get Mark P. into this discussion group? I think he would add a great deal to it :)

Binderin',

John

18. John Donnelly

What does "BG" Mean?

Ok,

The engine names are another sticky spot with me. I know the following ones.

SD = Silver Diamond

RD = Red Diamond (would love one of those!!!)

BD = Black Diamond (another favorite)

GRD = Green Diamond

BG =

That is one that escapes me, what does it mean? I know there are other ones I have missed, so chime in with your knowledge guys, and PICS of the engines if you have them.

Keep on Binderin',

John

19. Andy McElhaney

I looked in the Hollander Manual (the interchange manual used in wrecking yards) and found some info on the 220/240/264/308 blocks. There is some confusion, but here is what they have.

#568- BD220,240; BG220,241; SD220, 240
    #569- BD264, BG265
    #570- BD269
    #571- BD282, 308

That covers the SD, BD, BG 6 cylinder engines. The # is the interchange. When you look it up, it tells you what will bolt in as a replacement. When I looked the individual # up it pretty much showed the interchange as what you see beside the #. There was some mention of having to use the oil pump and filter assy for each engine if you change displacements.

20. Matt O'Bryan

Matt O'Bryan High Wheeler

Re: What does "BG" Mean?

BG- Blue-Grey.

As was explained to the digest a couple years ago by Hofs (I think...), They were running out of primary colors, and Fushia Diamond just wouldn't cut it :D:D