IH T-19 to (almost) any transfer case

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Brett Whitaker, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Brett Whitaker

Brett Whitaker Binder Driver

This has been a while in the coming. I was going to do this as an article for the pay portion of the old site, but will just do it here.

What I am going to try to show is how to attach virtually any transfer case to the back of a T-19. One of the nice things about this is that it uses a 2wd T-19 transmission. You can find these very, very cheap. Depending on what you decide to put behind it is kind of up to you. You may be able to sell that old T-19 wide with the D300 to make up all or part of your investment here.

One quick and dirty option is to put a J@@P style D300 behind it. Like this.

[​IMG]

Or another option is to put a Klune-V behind it and end up with something like this.

[​IMG]

The Klune-V becomes a universal adpater in itself to go to many different transfer cases including both figure 8 and round style NP205s and many others.

With the basic setup you could even switch to a driver's side drop transfer case if you wanted to swap in a high pinion Ford D60 front, which has a driver's side differential.

For now I'm going to skip the rebuild of the T-19, but it can be found in this thread. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86738

I may redo that one to show all pictures like I plan to in this one. This one will take some time to post all the pieces. Have fun thinking about all the options that are possible with different transfer case and doubler gear ratios.:yes:

Brett

scout2000 likes this.
  2. Brett Whitaker

Two extremes of what you can do is found in my signature. One is for a daily driver which is a T-19 wide, with a StaK 4x4, Od transfer case and D44 axles with 2.72 gears for about a 2.15:1 highway gears. The other extreme is a T-19 wide, with Klune-V David (4:1), LoMax 205 (3:1) and D60/14B with 5.13 axles good for about a 360:1 crawl ratio.

More to follow as I load pictures.

Brett

scout2000 likes this.
  3. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Brett, like a million others, I will be watching this thread very closely. :clap::beer: Now, I better go find a t-19 before they are all gone!:rockon:

4. Brett Whitaker

The key and most expensive part of this is the use of an Advance Adapters kit 50-6501. It is normally used to convert a Ford T-19 to a standard 23 spline output with the round 6 hole pattern. This pattern and shaft spline count is use in a lot of transfer cases.

I have not seen the Novak version of this adpater. So I cannot comment on whether it will work as well or not.

Also remember that this is going to be installed in a 2wd IH T-19. The machining on the back of the 4wd T-19 is different and does not lend itself well to this swap. Also this will work for either the wide or close ratio T-19s.

The tools required are fairly simple. I do have a hydraulic press and a drill press. But this could be done with out either.

So here is the AA 50-6501 kit.

[​IMG]

In some ways you will see this is like child's play. I'm sure there is a more professional way to do this. If you want to improve this process feel free to share.

Step 1. Trace the surface that mounts to the transmission (the non-round side) on to some paper, cut it out and tape it to the adpater.

[​IMG]

Step 2. Use a pencil and rub along all of the holes to do a tracing. Then cut the holes out. This is what it should look like. Fortunately this part does not have to be exact. It is just used to see where it lines up on the back of the transmission.

[​IMG]

Notice that I also made some notes on the paper, top, transmission side, etc.

Don't even bother asking the AA people about this. I ordered a replacement Ford shaft and the AA kit. Using a digital caliper I measured each and every groove and lenth. Except for the output splines and length and one minor exception they are the same. The rebuild document details the minor difference.

Brett

scout2000 likes this.
  5. Brett Whitaker

Determining locations for the studs to bolt the adapter to the transmission.

None of the holes of the transmission and adpater are going to line up. New holes will need to be drilled in the transmission, tapped, and studs installed. New holes in the adpater will need to be drilled as well.

The next step involves the transmission itself. At this time you would want to go ahead and take the rear bearing cover off of the donor 2wd T-19. See the thread in the first article of this one for a link on how to do this. It is okay to completely disassemble the T-19 at this time. Just be sure and keep the output bearing. You will need to reinstall it to line up the aluminum adapter.

Make a tracing of the back of the transmission like was done for the adapter. You should end up with something that looks like this. You can go ahead and cut the big hole out. You can see the raised surface of the back of the 2wd T-19

[​IMG]

Now take the cut out of the front of the adapter and lay it on the transmission tracing. Make sure you have the right sides face to face.

[​IMG]

Now trace the holes and outline of the adpter tracing onto the transmission tracing. It shoud look something like this. Notice how the holes do not line up and that the bottom two of the adapter are right on the edge of the raised surface on the back of the transmission.

[​IMG]

To locate new bottom holes draw a line parallel to the bottom of the holes. Looking at the adapter see how far in new holes can be drilled and mark on the drawing.

[​IMG]

Draw the corresponding line on the adapter and mark the holes the same distance in.

[​IMG]

DO NOT drill the holes at this time. Place the adapter on the back of the transmission. You can see the 2wd output shaft with its threaded end for the nut to hold the yoke on. Position the adapter foot parallel to the bottom of the transmission. This is important.

[​IMG]

This next part is the most critical and there is no picture but it is easily explained. Using a pin punch you are going to create a series of dimples around the edge where the adapter and transmission meet. So point your punch towards the 90 degree angle where the two meet. Push in until it "pops". You should have a dimple in the edge of the aluminum adapter and one in the face of the back of the transmission. Once you do the first one do not let the adapter move. Only do these where the adapter sits flush on the raised surface of the transmission.

Once you've made several of these marks, about 4 on each side, remote the adapter. The using a straight edge and a fine tip indelible marker, draw from the dimples through the location of the desired hole. Measure the distance using the digital caliper and write it down. Mine looked like this. The more distances you mark and measure the better.

[​IMG]

Then and only then drill the two holes out.

[​IMG]

Having fun yet?

Brett

scout2000 likes this.
  6. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

We just got done installing that kit in a Scout 4x4 T-19 to Atlas 4spd, the Atlas is as big as an NP205, it almost touches the frame rail on the passenger side!, we're not sure how we're going to reroute the exhaust?
    Two of the bolt holes match up, for the other two we used layout dye to mark the other two with a center scribe made out of a set screw, then center punched and drilled and tapped in the drill press, I didn't feel like setting it up in the mill.

7. Brett Whitaker

Okay. Enough for tonight. More tomorrow.

Obviously mounting a different tranmission to the back of the 7272 automatic is a lot easier. Just replace the end section with one from a J@@p and call it good.

But why do things the easy way when you can have all this fun?

Working on Scouts is fun :yes:

Brett

scout2000 likes this.
  8. SCscoutguy

SCscoutguy Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Someone did this exact same thing on the board a few years ago but I think they were running a 203 to 300 doubler behind the T-19. They had some good pictures of it and a neat write up.

9. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

Oh boy. I'm glad I haven't sold my T19 wide 2wd. Now I can upgrade from my T19 wide D300 to something else. Yeah.

10. Brett Whitaker

The first one I did was a few years ago for the Klune/205 but didn't do a write up. Nor were the holes as precisely located as I'm doing now.

Brett

scout2000 likes this.
  11. Brett Whitaker

The next part is to locate the other holes to be drilled in the adapter. I end up with 6 new holes altogether. You may just want to do 4 like the orginal. Where the lines cross and there are has markes is where i want the new holes.

Here is a picture of the other 4 holes located.

[​IMG]

I also made a scribble drawing so I could keep track of all the lines and distances. Documentation and pictures are your friend.

[​IMG]

Now the final holes are drilled

[​IMG]

When determining the location of the holes, remember that there will be a stud coming through and a nut on it. Look for interference with adapter as you are laying this out.

Brett

scout2000 likes this.
  12. Jesse Valdez

Jesse Valdez Farmall Cub

[​IMG]

Now the final holes are drilled

[​IMG]

When determining the location of the holes, remember that there will be a stud coming through and a nut on it. Look for interference with adapter as you are laying this out.

Brett[/QUOTE]

I can see that you drilled the 1st set of 4 holes for the trans to adapt to plate, but what are the other holes drilled for?

13. Brett Whitaker

The first set of 4 holes comes already in the adpater.

I guess I should finish this thread up with the rest of the install.

Brett

scout2000 likes this.
  14. Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan Banned

Great thread Brett
    All I want to know is how you get away with doing that work on the Kitchen or Dining Room table LOL
    I'm sure that's just for picture purposes isn't it

I knew a guy that rebuilt his entire Harley in his Living Room
    His house didn't look as nice as yours

Can you pass the peas and that clutch please