IH SV fuel pump , Is it wise to put modern kit

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by kevingweq, Oct 25, 2019.

1. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Snagged this pump on ebay , Has the offset glass bowl which I believe is necessary for some applications (motor mount interference ?)
    Anyhow is it necessary or just a good idea to freshen the pump with a modern gasket/diaphragm kit from "Then and Now" ?
    I could not find any dates on the pump/box/paperwork to garner a clue as to when it was built, But from the yellowing of the instruction
    leaflet I would say Reagan or Carter was in office :1eye:

Also the box says "New Pump" would this be a "new" pump or a rebuilt ? Could not find much info on the company .

Screenshot_2019-10-25 NOS new Fuel Pump 178 1960's Unknown Applications.png

2. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

From experience with other fuel system components outside of IH (cant coment on that company), you could probably get away with it the way it is for a while unless its ever been stoored in a super hot garage or an environment that might induce cracking. There is a likelihood that if it lacks modern components it will work but fail earlier than it should; inevitably you will have to remove and rebuild later on. Granted thats a given on any diaphram pump, it just comes down to: now vs then. . . . :D ie longer part life. Feel free to hate me for that pun, I couldnt resist. I do like the then&now kits alot, 10/10

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

kevingweq likes this.
  3. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

It's new. But more like NOS, New Old Stock meaning new, never used, but set 30 or so years. I might chance it and go as is. But for reliability, get a kit with newer materials that can handle alcohol laced fuels.

kevingweq likes this.