IH powered 1931 REO Speedwagon and IH Accessories

Discussion in 'Great Lakes Binders' started by michigan scout, Oct 9, 2015.

1. michigan scout

michigan scout High Wheeler

I know this is not a IH rig but heck will be 50% IH??

I took my 75 Travelall (had a few mechanical issues but she did good) up to ELY Minnesotta, 1600 miles to pick up this 1931 REO Speedwagon. I have been hunting for something similar in IH but was unable to find anything. This truck was probably the most miss represented vehicle I have bought..Guy said it was a running and driving truck or was 1-1/2 yrs ago and parked.Regardless I went all that way and just decided to drag it home anyways..I went Friday 5:30 am for work then left after my sons birthday party at 8 pm and didn't get to sleep till Sunday 9:30 pm..made it a tough weekend, I just can't go 2 and 3 days without sleep like I use to..anyways back to the details,

Engine is junque, clutch tore out, drivers door rotted off, sheetmetal in good shape but it is a wood frame structure. Master Cylinder missing, no brake pedals or assembly, no gas tank, this thing may have run 50 years ago??? I did learn this truck would have been equiped with a 4 cyl. Someone had tried to put a 6 cylinder in it, correct make Gold Comet... made by REO..Sooooo...I have put a 304 out of the green 72 I just parted this summer, and put a auto trans to it, it had the 3 speed manual. I took the wishbone engine mount support out of that truck and adapeted that to fit. I am using a scout 800 radiator so it fits in the nose of the truck with a trans cooler for the auto trans. I changed the linkage stuff at the carband will mount a Scout2 gas pedal in it. I have taken gas tank straps from a travelall and Scout 2 and mounted a Scout 2 gas tank behind the cab inbetween the frame. I am taking a filler neck from a D series that goes in the cab corner and using that in the Scout2 gas tank and I think it will work perfect. I have removed the dash cluster (none of the gages are good) and making a new one so it is able to back to original if wanted, I am making my own using 80/800 guages and speedo. I have rebuilt all the wood structure in the cab and got the door hung. The trans mount will be fabbed from a scout 2 mount flipped upside down then using a D series rear rubber mount. I have some pictures will post more later this weekend. Been working on this for a little over 1 week now when I get time...I should not be I need to get cracking on the wagonmaster and the green traveler.
    I also need to figure out how to connect the driveshaft to the D series auto...going to have to have a drive shaft made. The good thing is most of the stuff I am building with the truck is stuff I have laying around. May not seam like it but it has taken alot to figure out how to make everything work.

I also discovered this truck has 5:61 gear ratio...hmmm??? Any input on that?

And yes...that is a scout 2 bumper i put on the front

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. michigan scout

A few more...making my gauge cluster from a scout2 fuel neck access panel

Attached Files:

3. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

I like your creativity. An excellent drivetrain update. You've accomplished a lot in a short amount of time.

Dean

4. gpa

gpa Binder Driver

Don't you just hate those lying D bags?
    That is a VERY cool truck, were they made in Lansing?

5. michigan scout

I do LOL, yes they were made in Lansing.

6. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

I also discovered this truck has 5:61 gear ratio...hmmm??? Any input on that?

Seems like there are always challenges like this. More power leads to more speed. Highway driving creates the desire for taller gears. More speed demands better brakes. Axle swaps might be in order to address both the gearing and braking issues. Are 2WD Scout axles about the same width as your originals? Is there a way to adapt those cool original wheels to a newer axle? Are modern tires available in the original size? Sorry, I've asked more questions than I've answered.

Dean

7. Big_Al

Big_Al Farmall Cub

Wow, nice. Nothing like driving 1600 miles to find that "it ran when parked last year" is referring to a year on the planet Saturn. Love the styling of trucks in the 30's, but they were not geared for speed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8. michigan scout

I will have to update with some pictures. Engine in and all running. Next step is figure out brakes and trans shifter, still have a radiator issue. Also driveshaft alteration. I think, I think, I have figured it out....The gear ratio is not as bad as I thought, I found a formula on the internet and with the size of tires that are on it, at 60mph I will be at roughly 2800 rpm...I doubt I will drive this 60mph. I will post up more this weekend.

9. michigan scout

More progress to report, took some gages out of a 60's C series and put in the truck, they might be out of a 800??? got the shifter installed and made my own brackets...used a scout2 shifter and installed the shifter tower also...Scout gas pedal installed...put in a scout gas tank using travelall and scout2 straps...going to use some bicycle inner tubes between the straps and the plastic tank...got a lot of wiring to do. Also the alternator stick out to far so going to have to relocate it some how....The Midas scout 2 rear seat I put in there had been burned on the backside enough you would not put it back in a scout. But man it fits in there great...and cant see the back of it, virtually the same dimensions...next is fabricating a driveshaft. I have new brake lines run to the rear and proportioning valve installed. Need to hook up the front and install a master cylinder and brake pedal assembly. I have ordered new rubber brake hoses. New valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires and painted it up a little...I used a D series filler neck that goes in the cab corner for this truck sticking it in the scout gas tank, when I build the new flat bed on it I will cut it to length...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  10. michigan scout

I lost a bunch of pictures on this, actually tons, I was working on this my phone fell out of my pocket and ran over my phone :(
    I took a travelall driveshaft and cut it and welded it to the REO drive shaft. I cut the alternator bracket and moved it on top of the engine. Took a bit to find a belt to fit. I also had to get a new radiator. I ordered one for a model A and seams to fit. I took it on 4 mile or so round trip drive today. Got the fuel gage and the temp gage working. Next will be lights etc. I got the bed built and used rough sawn lumber I had a guy cut up for me. I need to find some tires for it. The fun thing about this project is that 90% of the stuff I used was stuff I found laying around here. Can see the master cylinder and proportioning valve from a 70 ih pickup. Brakes work good. I rebuilt wheel cylinders and all new lines. a lot of odds and ends to do but it's getting really close to use to haul hay, feed and firewood....

Attached Files:

11. michigan scout

So a little before and update to date pic.

Attached Files:

12. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looking much better than it was the day I was there! Nice work, that is definitely one of a kind. Wonder if it will drive to Troy next summer for Nats?

13. TimGott

TimGott Farmall Cub

That is impressive Darren, whats the secret to getting that much done so fast?

14. michigan scout

updated picture use this all the time!

Attached Files:

15. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

it's a very KOOL & awesome truck, seen it in person. good job on it to.