IH LV-549 Engine Help

Discussion in 'Tractor Tech' started by Oliver138, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Oliver138

Oliver138 Farmall Cub

Hello all,

I recently moved to a new house that has an existing circular sawmill that was powered by a IH LV-549 (I believe - mostly due to the dual radiator hoses). The engine (to my knowledge) has not been run for 20+ years. I would like to get it running and determine if the engine is worth holding onto or if it needs replaced. It seems to turn nicely (by hand) so I would like to hook-up a battery and see if it will really turn over, however the wire from the distributer to the coil is severed so I need to replace it.

I have not been able to identify the year yet so I am not sure where to get the new wire, where may the engine ID be stamped? Also, a parts manual would be a huge help, does anyone know where I could find one (after positively identifying the engine first)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Kurt_M

Kurt_M Farmall Cub

"supposed to be" stamped front left side of block, right below the head gasket.

LV549.jpg

3. Oliver138

Oliver138 Farmall Cub

Thank you for the photo - I will look there first

4. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

Oliver138 likes this.
  5. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

Couple pix of a LV (Large V -8 family) 549 engine in a genny
    generator cng verrill.JPG verrill generator 1.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Oliver138

Oliver138 Farmall Cub

@Kurt_M - unfortunately I am not able to fine the engine ID there. I'll have to figure it out another way...
    @Darrel - thanks for the links. They look like they may come in handy.
    @kevingweq - that's it. I have seen the generators from these engines before. I found a PDF of an operators manual for the UV-549 online, it is somewhat helpful.

Since I cannot identify the engine yet, I feel that I am limited on how to get parts. Most places want a year, make and model - I know none of these currently. I know the truck is from the 60s but nothing more. Does anyone know what IH trucks used these engines in the 60s?

Thanks again!

7. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

8. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

Left and Right, I get mixed up on stationary engines. Their Left is from an operator's view or from the flywheel end . It would be the side with the oil filter as in Kevin's picture and including the chassis ID plate.

9. Oliver138

Oliver138 Farmall Cub

Thank you all - this forum appears to be a huge help. I have been soaking the cylinders in Mystery Oil for a couple weeks now (hopefully to remove any build-up that may be there). Once I get a replacement coil wire, I'll hook up a battery to see if it will turn over.

Before I actually try to run it, what advice do you have for the fuel lines and filters? To fuel the engine, a line is run to the milling platform to be placed in a gas can. I am suspecting that the engine was run dry, but again it has set for 20 years now. Do you think I should try to do something with the fuel or just get some fresh gas and give it a go?

Thanks!

10. Greg R

You have to wonder what shape the oil in the pan and the coolant is.

What I do is verify all fluids. Then pull all the plugs and spin test with the starter. This allows oil pressure to build and pump up the lifters. Take a peek under the distributor cap and inspect the electrical terminals and points. I've seen them with cobwebs, corrosion, and bug debris. Jog the engine until the points close with the ignition off. Pull a clean unused folded Post-it note paper through the closed points to remove any light oxide.

If the fluids are topped off, you have oil pressure, and the electrics are clean; you are ready to fire her up.

Big Ed likes this.
  11. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

Pics of sawmill???

12. Oliver138

Oliver138 Farmall Cub

@Big Ed - I'll get you some pictures of the mill soon. Sorry for the delay. Do you run one?

13. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

I really like old stuff, don’t run one though. I might get one one day, i’d Have a use for it.

14. Oliver138

Oliver138 Farmall Cub

@Big Ed - Here are pictures of the mill. It needs some work, but the guts are there. Starting with the engine and going from there.
    Sawmill 1 - 2018.jpg Sawmill 2 - 2018.jpg Sawmill 3 - 2018.jpg Sawmill 4 - 2018.jpg Sawmill 5 - 2018.jpg

Brokegunner likes this.
  15. Greg R

Nice, I almost wish I was a neighbor! What is the compressed air/compressor used for?

16. Oliver138

Oliver138 Farmall Cub

@Greg R - I think it was hooked up as an air compressor just because they already had the compressor there from the air brakes. Could probably use it for general clean-up of sawdust on the mill.

Another question for everyone - I have a broken hose on the rear of the engine. Can anyone help identify it and can it be replaced with a hard line? Below are some pictures of the broken hose - both on my 549 and the generator that @kevingweq posted.

Sawmill 5 - 2018 (Broken Hose).jpg Generator Hose.jpg

17. Greg R

That is an oil cooler, and the hose pointed at I believe is a coolant line. I don't remember if it is supply or return but you should keep it flexible.

18. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

In reference to Greg's question about air compressor , This appears to be an air valve ?

Another thought was .............. did someone utilize the truck axle with brakes left intact for some purpose ? or was
    there some type of air shift arrangement in the driveline (gearbox or air actuated clutch ? Just thinking out loud
    Sawmill 3 - 2018 arrow.jpg

19. Oliver138

Oliver138 Farmall Cub

Thanks, Greg. That helps me on the broken hose.

Kevin - That is a really good point. The truck frame had been cut so the axel is no longer there, so the breaks are not in-tact. However, the possibility of an air shift or something of that nature does exist with an air regulator being located at the engine and another by the operator. I will have to look a little closer as to why the regulator you pointed out is actually there. I originally just ignored it, but it could be more important than I expected.

20. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

Awesome!!! Thanks for posting pictures. I’ve been cutting down trees killed by bark beetles, maybe you can saw them up for me.
    ADEF1CC8-2995-46C3-8F09-B33A2EA7E77B.jpeg A549B75E-9F15-4022-A75B-5E45F2DFBC9E.jpeg

Brokegunner likes this.