IH K10 or Chevy S110

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by NomadIH, Mar 14, 2020.

1. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

Hey fellas,
    Gots me an idea, not sure its a good one yet. I have a 57 S110 and a rusty 84 K10 and got to thinkin “how I can make me a relible daily?”.

What should I be considerin when lookin to run the K10 springs and axles on the S-series frame?

2. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Those axles are gonna be very wide for a s series...and I'm betting the spring pads are a bit wider than the s frame..there is a guy on utube (Jeff potter) that builds alot of s series and uses dodge Dakota for donors..
    Are you wanting it 4x4?...or just using what you have available...

3. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

Im havin a hard enough time conciling myself with the idea of using a chevy donor. A dodge makes me wanna puke. Im wanting the 4x4, living in the northern midwest its almost mandatory. I have a scout ii front axle i was going to use, then i realized the track width is too narrow. I know the S frame is 30” wide with a pinch that narrows to 28” at the front.

4. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I understand..I'm not a big dodge fan myself
    As far as using gm axles, keep in mind that most axles are made by the same manufacturer and sold to the big 3, so I wouldnt sweat it over what you can find thatll work..
    You might do some measuring on later model jeeps that still had the solid axles and get something close
    You need to get as close to your track width as possible
    But I'm thinking the k10 axles are way to wide for a S truck

On my 57 A120 my frame is 34in wide
    The front springs are under frame, the rear springs are outboard
    The front spring centers are 32in
    The rear spring centers are 40in
    The front gm axle bolted right in
    The rear gm axle i had to move the spring pads to match the IH springs..
    But the gm axles are over 5in wider than the old IH axles that were on mine
    Then you gotta figure out the steering and the rest of the driveline..
    What your wanting to do can get into alot of $$$$..
    Youd probably be better off just getting a 4x4 truck to drive and leave the S a 2wd and not drive it in the salt
    Just my 2 cents.
    Would like to see some pics of your S truck

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  5. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Another option you might consider is doing a frame swap...if your intent on making it a 4x4
    Put the S body on the k10 frame...youd have to fab all the body mounts though and possibly shorten the frame
    I did that to a 53 Chevy truck I have...sat it on a 67 Chevy 4x4 frame...but it's back to 2wd now..if you have the equipment to do it, that may be your best option...

6. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

Frame swapping wont work without another parts truck, the s110 is lwb the k10 is swb. If the s axles are wider then scout ii’s but narrower then fullsize that puts em in an awkward position. Late model jeep parts are a bit out of budget for me so unfortunately they wont work. Once the snow melts again ill go and get some measurements for both trucks. I have a feeling the hardest part will be the front pumpkin offset. May have to retube an axle to work with custom shafts.

Problem is I have these two trucks and unless the s110 is 4x4 i have no use for it, and the k10s body is rusted to hell. The winters here are bad enough that occasional 4x4 on road is necessary, but i also like to do mild offroading. I got motorcycles for everything else. I even ride a harley in the salt(not the snow).

7. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

05AF8D2F-7E09-461D-8919-3BFCF2068A2F.jpeg 5E4E1F3C-0CE3-40E3-A8ED-987AD8D07E44.jpeg
    Not sure what happened here. It took a few tries to finially get em uploaded.

Attached Files:

8. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

(May have to retube an axle to work with custom shafts.)
    this wont be cheap either

9. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

What was the issue when you tried gm axles in your a120? Was it making contact with the body?

10. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

tires were sticking out of fenderwells...no contact with the body...I used a positive offset rim to help pull tires back under fenders...no issue with rubbing...
    measure the outside track width of both your trucks and see how much difference there is

11. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

Tomorrow will have some nice weather. Im gunna take a few paint sticks and a tape measure out to my 57. Im goin to measure as much as i can: spring length, width, distance across, shock locations, steering.

If i knew the wheel specs it would help too. I plan on never runnin any tires wider then 10.5, two top choices are 255/85/16 or 35x10.5x16, that comes down to budget.

12. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

Heres what i got so far:
    57 IH
    Front axle perch width 28”
    Front hanger width 25.5”
    Rear hanger width 30”
    Spring width/length/center pin 1.75”/42”/21”
    Rear axle perch width 39”
    Front and rear hangers 39”
    Spring w/l/c 1.75”/52”/26”

84 K10
    Front perch width 32”
    Front and rear hangers 32”
    Spring w/l/c 2.5”/52”/26”
    Rear perch width 43”
    Front and rear hangers 43”
    Spring w/l/c 2.5”/56”/26x30”

13. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

How wide are the axles on the 57? From Wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.

14. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

Unfortunately i dont have the socket on hand to pull the wheels. But the track width is 60.5”, so if theres 0 offset or maybe 1” possitive its likely 60-62” wide wms-wms. That puts them within a few inches of what i found on the chevy having 63” wms-wms

15. Darrel

Ok, that's basically Scout and Jeep Wagoneer width. But your 28" front perch width presents a problem as almost all Dana Spicer axles from the 70-90s use a 31-32" perch width. You either need to outboard the leaf springs off the frame (1.5-2" per side). Or take a full size axle and cut it down for a 28" perch width. If you have the oil pan and driveshaft clearance.

84" K10 10 bolt will have a 67" front WMS. Rear will be at least 65". Only 63" Chevy axle from that era is a 14 bolt out of a cab and chassis 3/4 or 1 ton.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  16. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Agree with Darrel..your k10 measurements are way short...way back up there I think I said the gm axle is over 5in wider than the IH...
    IH 60-62in .... K10 65-67in

17. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

Figures them GM boys dont know how to use a tape measure. Shows me for tryin to use thier forum for info. I have found pictures of other builds. Unfortunately not much info, just that its gm axles under an l/r/s body. Many look like frame swaps cause the lines dont quite match up either. I remember a thread here where a fella used a wagoneer axle with a 4bt. Ill see if i cant pull that back up and give it a look see.

A scout II has a track width of 57”. So unless it has some really weird offset the axles are only 55~” wms-wms. I have a sout d44 and passing on it due to its narrow width for a fullsize truck.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 7:13 PM
  18. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Measure the outside tire width of your S axles with the tires on...let's see what that is..

Darrel likes this.
  19. Darrel

Scout II axles are approximately 60 in front and 58 inches rear.

20. NomadIH

NomadIH Farmall Cub

This weekend ill try to get measurements of the room in the wheelwells. Ithink thats more important then wms-wms. If i recall the l/r/s are 70” wide and thats at the fenders bein the widest point. Im lookin to run skinny tires, not off the rack mud terrains, 35x10.5x16 or the old 9.00x16 in bias size.

Heres a couple i found, look like frame swaps but the wheels fit in the fenders.

Attached Files: