IH Driving

Discussion in 'Mid-South Binders' started by J. David Oldham, Apr 15, 2016.

1. J. David Oldham

J. David Oldham Farmall Cub

Not only the weather changes in South Arkansas.
    Was going to Texarkana Sat. in the TJ Express and return El Do. Now taking Scout to Texarkana Sat. then to Gun Barrel for long weekend, then return El Do. Will talk to interior guy while there.

Will check MPG this time with Speedo & gal. used and try and get a good reading on MPG. A 4 hr. drive should give me a good reading on MPG.
    I don't think it matters to much, it's worth the cost in the smile on my wife's face & the thumbs up we get. :clap: :banana::bananrap:

2. J. David Oldham

Made it Saturday about dark. Good trip till turned off I 20 & amp meter went to discharge. Drove to RV & waited till next morning to ck.
    Alternater belts had loosened up. I'm still having belt problems but not tearing them up. Just a lot of wear on the belts.
    The wife & I drove all over E. Texas, had a date and went to a movie & out to eat.
    I have some running around to do this AM, then return El Do later today.
    Keeping record of fuel used & will figure MPG for the whole trip tomorrow.
    TJ Express loves 70 -- 75 mph

Mater likes this.
  3. J. David Oldham

Drove back up 155 through the hills and slowed to 60-65 mph. Old Scout likes the hills. After slowing down and coasting down backside of the hills, think it did better on fuel. Will go to town & top off and check total MPG for whole trip tomorrow.
    I know speedometer is slow. About 10% I think. Went by two construction sites that had the "you speed is" sign up & I checked with several mile markers on highway. When I was going 75 it is prob 67.
    Drove in the rain most of the way with s-l-o-w wipers. Something else to look at. The TJ Express still needs a lot of work, but we can drive it & enjoy while finishing it up. Left dash pad & sun visers with guy who did her seats to recover them too.
    Over all a wonderful trip and made some good memorys.

Mater and Mark Aycock like this.
  4. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

Love hearing your stories! You got to make a drive up here. We got plenty of hills and awesome trout fishing on 3 rivers!

5. J. David Oldham

Thanks Justin!
    We do have plans for a trip to N. W. Arkansas (not sure when). We want to go back to Fort Smith & ride back roads around there. Maybe go on up around Eureka Springs area too. Our first date was in my old blue Scout & first road trip together was to Eureka.(not in Scout)
    We may not have a "rocker" or "mud buggy", but we have a road "lizzard". Something we can take long trips in. Would like to get her Scout in good enough shape to drive anywhere we wanted, East or West coast maybe up to Alaska someday.
    This last trip was about 4 1/2 hr. drive 1 way & the TJ Express did really good except for the belt wear and slow wipers.
    Hope more folks on the B. B. will post up about driving ther IH.

6. J. David Oldham

Alright I have totaled everything up on mileage & fuel used. Total fuel 53.92 gal , miles from Google & best info with WAG 695.6 for 12.84 MPG.
    That is city, highway everything, all miles drove. Not real good, but worth it all in fun, smiles & thumbs up. :banana::bananrap:

Mater likes this.
  7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

A shade of 13 mpg is pretty darn good for a brick on wheels!

8. J. David Oldham

You are right Josh, for all I drove 13 ain't bad. But want to see if I can make it better.
    Looking at put a locking converter in a 727 & may look a fuel injection. Want to make this one to be a road warrior.
    Still needs paint and carpet, but fun to cruise in. :clap:

9. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I bet FI would net you another 10-20%. You could be getting somewhere around 15-16. That's awesome! I'm so jealous. Crusin' is pretty far down the road for me. Although, the 800 is getting pretty close:wacko:. I just keep telling myself that...

10. J. David Oldham

Things do change around here. :cornfused:
    Wife was traveling for work & was coming home for the weekend. But.... had meeting in D. come up today. So I'm going to prep the TJ Express for road trip to GBC for weekend. She wanted me to bring Scout so we can have a "date" and go cruising in the Scout. :beer:
    I need to ck turn signials, dash lights, fluids, tire press & install spare dash pad.
    Going to ck MPG a diffrent way. Going to drive 60-65 & stay off I 20 & ck MPG highway only both ways, down and back.

11. J. David Oldham

Running late & will leave early in the morning.
    Repaired turnsignials, replaced alternator belts, replaced dash pad and gave Scout a good look over. Used almost a qt oil on last run. It's in good shape & ready to go now.
    If are going to work under dash, Don't eat a coumtry breakfast first. I tried to work after eating & had to wait for an hour. (couldn't bend over) :no:
    Country Breakfast= 2 big biscuits with deer steak & gravy, 2 scrambled eggs with Hatch's Salsa & cheeze and glass of sweet milk.

12. J. David Oldham

Good trip down to GBC. Nothing to report ole Scout just tooled right on down the road with no problems and did do better on fuel driving 60-65. will figure out how much better tomorrow. Did meet an old drill sargent that said he had 13 Travelals at one time.
    Get to meet some good people driving a Scout! :clap:

13. J. David Oldham

Made it in around 7:30 Monday evening. No real problems, lost my 1 dash light around Texarkana. Drove on with flash light checking gages.
    Hooked up with 18 wheeler about an hour from home & followed him to my driveway. :clap:
    We drove all over East Tx mostly back roads. Went to a couple antique shops.
    Someone took a photo of the Scout & sent to my son working in Ok. & said cool Scout in town. He didn't know son had picked it out and bought for me. But was a cool photo, sun setting, lights on backing out of food store. Was kind of dark so it hid a lot of faults. :balloon:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  14. J. David Oldham

P. S. didn"t check MPG. We road around so much I would stop & get 20.00 and go on planning to fill up later.
    I forgot a couple of times to write down gal.
    We deceided to keep Scout because we were making money off of it. Might retire with extra money we are making.
    LOL ....put in 15.00 gas and have a 100.00 worth of fun. :banana::bananrap:

15. J. David Oldham

Taking the TJ Express to Little Rock today, wife has an eye Dr. apointment. :balloon:
    Last trip to GBC is first long trip I didn't have to turn a wrench at all. Love it! Drove total 12-14 hours. :clap:
    I am wanting to get carpet for it now. Been driving with just peal & stick & bubble insulation. Has anyone used Stock Interiors .com?
    What carpet kit have been installed by u guy's on here?

16. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I haven't used stock interiors, but I believe all the moulded carpet comes from AAC. I was going to use Automotiveinteriors.com for carpet when I get there. I haven't found a better price, and they have a good selection of color.

I have always heard good things about the aftermarket carpet. I don't believe I've ever seen a bad review. I have seen reviews of folks who regretted not going with the thicker backing.
    If you find a vendor you like, at a price point your happy with, go for it. All the carpet comes from the same place.

17. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I just did a little research and it seems that the site I gave has increased thier price on the mass backing by 100 bucks. Stock interiors now has a better total price by about 40 bucks! Seems to be the best deal currently.

18. J. David Oldham

Thanks for checking it out for me Josh.
    Made it in last night around 10:30. Scout did great till 8:00 PM.
    We went shoping and goofing of after Dr. visit then to Mexacan food out by Mc Cain mall and had a great supper. Then left for home, about to get out of L. R. ck gages. Alt=discharge. Pulled over and ck alternator would charge idle & no light on. Drove to truck stop outside Sheridon 65 & lights then tighten fan belts. Started and drove to El Do no problems.
    Had a guy come up at Fire House sub. & tell me he liked the Scout. Kind of looked shocked when I told him it was my wife's. :cornfused:

19. J. David Oldham

T.J. driving her Scout solo for first time today. :banana::bananrap:
    Driving to town shoping then about an hour drive to visit her Mom then return home. :cornfused:
    We are thing about an extended trip with RV & her follow in the Scout. This is a shake down cruise for her.

20. J. David Oldham

I created a Monster. :clap:
    She loved it got home after dark & said I need to take the slight "sawing" of steering wheel at 65 mph out. (indicated, maybe 55)
    I have 4* shims for front I haven't installed yet.