IH Dana sixty into scout II

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by Hutch, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Willy and I split the cost of a 1210 pick up and we will be parting it out and/or using what we can on our own rigs, The truck has a Dana 60 rear, np205 transfer case and 345 (which would likely need to be rebuilt and is currently slated as a cam donor for my 304). Here is my question ...
    is there such a thing as a 5 0n 5.5 to 8x6.5 2" wheel adapter? The 60 is about 4" wider WMS to WMS than the stock D44, and the perches are a bit wider than stock scout II, but despite my wifes insightful observation of "didn't you just do some axle stuff?" I was thinking of dropping it into the rear of the scout. I just got a CAD program at work, so this weekend I will try to see if the adapter is even possible, but wondered if anyone knew of one for the front Axle.

2. Mark Ashford

Mark Ashford Moderator.. or something Staff Member Moderator

Pretty sure the answer is no. Well, you can have anything custom made.

Even if you did find a spacer that did what you want, the large hub on the D60 would interfear with the center hole in the the 5-lug wheels. If you want to stay 15" wheel then it would probably be easier and better to just get some 15" 8-lug rims.

3. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

That's pretty much what I have come up with talking to folks around town. I was thinking go to a 15 or 16" 8 lug, and that's why I wanted to adapt from the 5 x 5.5 front to 8 lug. I found this link about converting a ford front to 8 lug:

http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/8lug/index.html

but I'll need to figure out the width difference. Maybe a long term project (more like probably). For now I'll focus on getting the cam out and getting the scout running.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  4. Darel

Darel High Wheeler

Why not swap in both axles?

5. willy

willy Binder Driver

other owner here, the front is a closed knuckle D 44 with drum's, wider but a down grade in other ways. If a cost effective upgrade to discs can be found I would love to see ryan sitting on full widths (and running motor).
    Ryan, I am this () close to giving you a heck of a deal on my 304 because I just pulled another IH truck into the yard.

Willy

6. Mark Ashford

Mark Ashford Moderator.. or something Staff Member Moderator

Swapping the front to 8-lug is easy... just about the complete knuckles out from any 8-lug D44 (ford/chevy/dodge) or GM 10-bolt will bolt to the Scout II housing.

Adds about 3" over all width, so 63" wide in the front.

Still about 1-2" narrower than you would ideal want to complement the rear (the front is typicaly 2-3" wider than the front to aid in steering and tracking. You could add spacers to the front, but now your scrub radius (distance from the center of the tire and the ball-joints) is getting more and more, making it harder turn and causing potential steering clearance and rubbing issues.

Idealy, you'd build a new front axle that is the correct width your after with out spacers and keeping the hub to ball-joint distance as close as reasonable.

7. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Woo hoo! Let me know, I'll be happy to help further reduce the collection - is this another one in addition to the one you got off the trailer the other day? How do you do that ???

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure about the #'s -Thanks. We'll see where it goes. I spent some time today cleaning out the engine bay, and genrally cleaning off 1-3" of greasy dirt from everything (except the tranfer case which appears to be remarkably clean). pulled the radiator, water pump, disrtibutor and most brackets.
    Willy- I'll start taking photos and we should look at what we've got.

8. Brian Rognon

Brian Rognon Farmall Cub

Ryan ;

I have that axle under my scout, but it was cut to stock SII width and new shafts from Mark Williams in Denver stuffed inside it. The new shafts are 5 on 5.5 and are super beefy 35 spline dudes, unlike the stock Dana 60-2.

If you guys are parting out the rest of that truck, how are the body panels and the bed? I might need to make a trip to Lander. :D

Brian

9. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Well....
    The Cab is actually in pretty good shape, a little surface rust on the outside, and - how should I put this? - well used (a few dents and dings - OK a bunch of 'em) Haven't taken a real close look at the floors yet, but I didn't punch through when I got in! :eek:
    Take a look...

Attached Files:

10. Brian Rognon

Brian Rognon Farmall Cub

Thanks for the pictures, but it looks allot like the stuff I already have.

Edit for my original post:
    After looking at your pictures I see that you have a full float D-60 and not the semi-floater that I have in my scout. So disregard the garbage about the dana 60-2 that I have in my scout.

I found a bed here in Cheyenne, but it is not perfect by any means. It was an old WyDot truck so it has 50 pounds of asphalt stuck to the under side.

Good luck with the project!

Brian

11. steve bridge

steve bridge Binder Driver

A local guy put a Dana 60 from a Metro in his early Scout. The Metro had a 5x5.5 pattern. About all he had to do was shorten the axles and housing and have the axles resplined. You couldn't tell he had made the modification without crawling underneath and he never broke an axle shaft again.