IH 392 cylinder numbering order 8-7- etc...

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by sdowney717, Dec 10, 2011.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Farmall Cub

Would like a diagram showing the numbers
    OK, looking at a motor, where is number 8 etc....
    thanks

2. Will Marsh

Will Marsh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

radiator to firewall

2-4-6-8
    dist/carb
    1-3-5-7

1 and 2 are closest to the radiator, 7 and 8 are closest to the firewall

Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, timed on #8

HTH,

Will Marsh

3. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Y-Block King

The even bank of cylinders 2-8 are on the left side and the odd #'s 1-7 are on the right side when viewed from the front of the vehicle on all IH SV8 engines. Firing order is the same for all and is stamped on the intake manifold.

4. sdowney717

sdowney717 Farmall Cub

Is that the same for all v-8 of any manufacturer?
    I am glad you guys posted. I found this thread and it seems they are saying even's are on the aft right side
    but really they are on the aft left side.?
    left right front back all depends on where your looking and sitting. I would have misread it and got it reversed.
    Passenger rear is number 8?

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95718

5. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yep, passenger rear is #8.

6. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

no not the same for all engine manufacturers.
    not all engines are v 8,
    get your self an IH engine manual and all of that info is detailed in it.
    all references to/for a vehicle are referenced from the driver sitting in the car on drivers seat FACING FORWARDS for left and right sides,
    and the proper way is to state 'drivers side' or 'passenger side'

7. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Y-Block King

Unless vantagepoint is otherwise specified like I did in my previous post...onnacounta the fact that I ain't usually sittin' in the driver's seat when I'm pokin' arount underneath the hood.

8. Greg R

Greg R High Wheeler

No, Cadillac for example has the driver's side is even numbered and the passenger side is odd with a firing order of 15634278

Ford 302 is passenger side 1,2,3,4 driver side 5,6,7,8 front to rear with a firing order 15426378
    Ford 351, 400 is the same numbering but a firing order 13726548.

Even day job mechanics need a book now and then to keep track of all the variations.

9. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

whenever buying parts or discussing motors and or parts,it's usually described as if you were in the drivers seat..drivers side is left,pass., is right.same with body work and or parts.NOT from the front of the vehicle.

10. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Y-Block King

And that makes perfect sense in those situations. I'm not trying to be a contrarian, I get it. My point is that when one is actually looking at the engine and noting cylinder location, one is generally either in front of or off to either side, not behind it. You can't see the engine from the drivers seat unless the hood is removed, and even then not that well. So in this case, why not reference it the way you be looking at it from a practical standpoint?

11. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

For every engine I've ever seen the cylinder #1 is always the farthest forward. On V type engines the banks are always offset and the bank that ends up farther forward is has #1 cyl and is the #1 bank. For most engines except Fords the next cyl number is the next farthest forward, ect. So you end up with odd and even banks. Ford on the other hand does as mentioned above.

12. Bill Bennett

Bill Bennett High Wheeler

On my 304, the cyls are numbered at the end of the intake manifold runners - about 1" from where they fit to the heads.