IH 345 Combine

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Robert Bishop, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Robert Bishop

Robert Bishop Binder Driver

Check out this video if you are a IH/345 fan.

stroker3, scout2000 and Gunfighter97 like this.
  2. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

815 and 915 if im not mistaken used the sv engines if im not mistaken.

3. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Binder Driver

Sounds like my 1100 when i fire it up. Love that sound! It's a tractor at heart.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

4. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I loved that video - thanks for sharing !

* any number of awesome catch phrases
    * that guy has a calming voice I could fall asleep listening to.
    * I wouldn't have a place to put it if someone gave it to me, but he'd all but talked me into wanting that combine.

The sole negative comment I have, is I wish he would have pulled the distributor, and built up some oil pressure thru the engine after a fresh/clean oil change, and a better oil filter than a Fram.

Still, I want to have that guy and his kid over, give him a beer or 6, and discuss philosophy .

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  5. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

I can forgive the fram. We all have preferences on the oil filter and they are not particularly good, but they do the job more or less with the exception of a few catastrophic failures. Its not like its "uhhhhh yea, the engine sounds awesome and all, and i'd totally buy that car off you , but I see you have a fram on it so the engines basically 800lbs of scrap iron now."

The starting without pre-oiling on the other hand a whole different thing. You hope its going to be ok, but, yea, there's a not insignificant chance of turning a nice engine into scrap only because you cut corners trying to start it. Its just cringeworthy.

6. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I also can forgive the Fram, and the no-pre-oiling start-up. More than any other brand of engines, I've seen more IH SV engines that have been sitting in fields for years to decades, start right up and continue their service life. That start up has always preceded by an oil change + filter, fresh fuel + filter, inspection of plugs, fresh/charged battery + pull the distributor and pre-oil.

I hope you aren't reading-between-the-lines in my comment. There's no hate here, I loved the video. Its just one of those things. How many years has it been since the last IH SV rolled off the assembly line? Right now they (IH SV engines) seem to be obtainable, I saw a thread less than a week ago from Hill Country Binders, someone had a 345 in their garage that needed a new home (I believe) free of charge. How much longer will that be common? another 5 or 10 years? I don't know, but I don't suspect that anyone will be casting new SV blocks, unlike Dana Strong friends who are casting new Ford Model A 4-cyl blocks. http://www.modelaengine.com/

There's not any hate here, I loved that video. Fingers crossed there was no (excessive) harm done to that 345, and I hope they get another 50 years of life out of that combine. I cringed too with the lack of better 1st start up prep.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  7. Gunfighter97

Lol when he cranked it, in my mind i was like, "aaahh, hang on, cam bearings!" So you all aren't alone there. Not everyone knows you're supposed to pre-oil, can't really fault em for it.

scout2000 likes this.
  8. Juice4320

Juice4320 Farmall Cub

I just kept thinking, having several gas powered tractors of that vintage, how much gas you would have to haul to it to keep it going.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

9. trobbl

trobbl Farmall Cub

I'm a subscriber of VGG on Youtube. Derek puts out some very entertaining stuff. I was surprised to see the 345 show up in a combine. When people look at my truck who aren't familiar with Internationals, I like to tell them it has the same engine and transmission as IH used in the larger Loadstar trucks and school busses. Now I can tell them I have a combine engine.

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  10. Robert Bishop

Robert Bishop Binder Driver

Glad you all like this video! Forgot to mention that this is a IH 915 Combine, from the seventies. Back in the day, I believe you could get 304, 345 and 392 engines in 815 and 915 combines. Many of them caught fire and were lost, unfortunately. I have looked for years to actually see one that had a SV engine and this one actually looks and runs good.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  11. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

He got me at some "mantinance". Haha, definitely comedian like but I do like seeing the old stuff come back to life.

12. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Not at all. I too loved the video. But I think we all had that reaction to just cranking it over. The first rule of binder planet is probably "pre oil the engine". Even before "make sure you upload pictures"

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  13. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Nice that he had his mini-vice grip involved too.

14. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

I cant imagine how much gas that thing would use! We had a gas engine 815 that my Dad bought on special for a cheap rental unit at our dealership. It didn't even make it thru one wheat crop until it burned to the ground. Needless to say that was the end of us selling or renting V8 gas engine combines!

15. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Had a gas JD combine. It used prodigious amounts for fuel!

I am biting back the very strong urge to counter the "Fram is bad" commentary.

16. Gunfighter97

I saw a speedometer that was meant to be a joke, 'Gallons per hour' although it makes me wonder lol.