ignition switch conversion for EFI?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by erik.getty, Aug 10, 2017.

1. erik.getty

erik.getty Farmall Cub

Hey guys,

i have a problem with a modern efi motor swapped into a 1973 scout II. i cant find a way to utilize the factory ignition switch. what i mean by this is that i cant find pins that have accessory power when in the crank position but shut off when the key is rotated to off/lock position. so what this does is i have accessory power but as soon as i crank it, it shuts off the PCM. is there a common substitute for the factory switch?

couple things before we go any further... im sort of a tourist here as i dont actually own a scout. i work at a shop and we have swapped a 392 hemi into a 73 scout II (this is not my choice im merely the tech working on it and i have a problem).

THE CUSTOMER wants to keep the factory key with factory functionality. the customer DOESNT want an extra switch on his dash for accessory power. so essentially i need to know if there is an alternate switch that will work with the rod on the column to make this work correctly. if the bracketry doesnt jive with the column thats fine. we can make new brackets. any help would be very appreciated.

*side note* maybe this isnt needed here but on most forums im on people want to chime in on something like this with their opinion about the build or whatever... really would appreciate not getting any of that as again... not mine so none of this is my call. if you dont like the motor choice or whatever im really sorry but again not my call. please just helpful info if you have any. im not trying to ruffle feathers or say you are those types of people. ive just been around the internet a few times and i know what people do. if anyone is really curious about how we got to where we are i can probably fill in those blanks but for the most part just really looking for an answer to this 1 question.

thanks in advance
    Erik

2. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Dreams of Cub Cadets

What does this Scout have in it for a fuse block? I sure hope not the factory original buss fuse panel. I would think a swap of this nature would go hand in glove with a modern blade style panel with roughly 14 protected circuits and assorted relays. I think that's where your answer lies. Sourcing a switched, circuit protected feed from the fuse panel rather than directly from the IGN SW.

3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

The ignition switch is the same as gm,there are 2 plugs on it,one doesn't have many wires in it(from memory so not spot on)on that plug there sould be s place to put power in and an output that does what you need.

4. SJR

SJR Farmall Cub

The coil gets its power from the ignition switch and is energized while cranking and running. Find that terminal on the ignition switch and use it to trigger a relay, that controls a properly fused circuit to the ECM.

5. scoutboy74

This shaping up to be another one of those threads where someone comes begging for urgent help, gets some ideas and then we never hear from them again.

6. Phil B

Phil B Farmall Cub

Hope these might help.
    ignition switch lower.jpg
    gm_col10.jpg

7. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 Binder Driver

one night stand...lol :)

8. Dana Strong

Dana Strong High Wheeler

The OP posted at 8:49 AM on Thursday, you posted at 10:16 AM the same morning, but according to his profile, "erik.getty was last seen: Thursday at 9:12 AM" so he didn't even stick around long enough to read it, the first reply. Talk about a deadbeat...but his spelling, punctuation and probably his grammar, together with the fact that he complained about unwanted opinions before any were even thought of.... tend to indicate something about his attitude.

I don't think 83 minutes qualifies as one. :death:

9. scoutboy74

Yeah, I just wonder what kind of mechanic would rather try to cram 10 pounds of crap into a five pound sack by modifying or replacing a perfectly good ignition switch before giving a second's thought to having an expanded fuse block? When you're dealing with a late model motor where every last little function is totally dependent on pooders and control modjoolz, you better have an electrical system that's up to the job. The stock SII system isn't there.

10. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

He probably found his answer 2 minutes after he posted via google. His disclaimer was polite actually.

11. Dana Strong

Dana Strong High Wheeler

But the assumption behind it wasn't.

12. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

Many times we've had people make snide comments about non-IH engine swaps and more than a few times it has derailed threads so yes it does happen here as well.

And he was careful to put in a disclaimer for that as well: