Ignition Problem

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by popsB6, Jun 14, 2009.

1. popsB6

popsB6 Farmall Cub

76' Scout II, V8 345, won't start. Recent back surgery led me to have lad next door replace plugs, wires, distrib cap, condensor, rotor. There are 2 unconnected and , apparently unrelated wires. Since that it won't start. Turns over. Timing gun on wires shows no spark from coil. Battery is new. Electronic ignition. Where should I go next?? How do I check coil without removing? Appreciate any help for a novice.

2. thehud

thehud High Wheeler

Is it a gold box ignition system?

Where do the disconnected wires go?

Are you getting power to the positive side of the coil?

The only condenser you should have is to cut down noise for the radio, is that the one that was replaced?

3. popsB6

popsB6 Farmall Cub

Yes it's gold box. Don't know where wires go. Condensor sits on coil. 12V positive terminal to grnd, 3V neg terminal to grnd, with key on and coil output disconnected. Sorry about not replying sooner. Been in FL

4. TimGott

TimGott Farmall Cub

I dunno how involved you want to go, but the Duraspark conversion (search for it) worked like a charm for me.. was inexpensive, and effective! a little more involved than your standard tune up.. but if your "gold box" is shot, it could save you from similar problems in the future..

5. Allan E

Allan E Lives in an IH Dealership

The condensor that is mounted on the coil is a radio suppression thing. It can short, but probably has not. It goes to the (+) coil terminal, or just leave it disconnected.

There is a wire/connector coming out of the distributor. Should be a polarized plug. A momentary short and release of the terminals should give you a spark. You can check it by simply unplugging the cable. Do the momentary short on the part that is not connected to the distributor.

This must be done with the key on, but do not leave the key on for very long without the engine running. Just for tests. The gold box burns out when you do that.

If you have spark that way (coil wire to ground works, but make sure there's no gas present and the air cleaner is on), the problem is the pickup module in the distributor.

If you don't get spark, you need to ID those wires. I can't remember where the feed is for the gold box. Been too long since I looked at one. There is a plug for it, it's in there, obviously. It's a place to start.

6. Ravin Dave

Ravin Dave Farmall Cub

My first thought is that your 'gold box' is bad. Especially if your scout ran alright and then one day just wouldn't start. IMO, a bad gold box will account for 80% of all non-starting or engine dying problems.