Hydroboost conversion questions

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by gillis51, Oct 14, 2010.

1. 1972ScoutToo

1972ScoutToo Farmall Cub

I upgraded my transmission cooler to a B&M super cooler, and removed this transmission cooler the PO installed. Undersized for a 700r4, but I figured I would use it for a power steering cooler. The location isnt ideal for air flow, but it gets some. I figured just the increase in capacity would be good, as now it nearly double. I will take some measurements with my multimeter once I get it back on the road. I used aluminum nut serts, alum spacers and alum bolts. It is installed on the low pressue return side

This is the model
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-402/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was a little concerned about the overflow hose at first, but I figure if it can handle the 180+ degree coolant it will be fine next to the cooler.

If not I will reroute

2. hoosier

hoosier Farmall Cub

Didn't want to start yet another Hydroboost thread so I'm tossing my problems on this one.

Hydroboost from Astro van. Installed 1 month ago and worked great on daily drives to and from work (10 miles each way). Twice now the brakes have slowly built up to locking up. The first time happened right as I turned onto my street. I went to work on it a few hours later and the problem was gone.

I'd like people to weigh in on the problem. My guess is I need a cooler or just to insulate the inboard hose.

- System getting too hot (running hooker headers on the 345).
    - Problem's with the hydroboost unit.
    - Anything else.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

3. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

I have my 92 astro van hydroboost set up and am getting ready to install. I've read many posts but it's still unclear to me, does the connecting rod from the back of the hydro boost pump connect directly to the brake pedal? If this is correct I would think you would loose some of the pedal travel. how much pedal travel should I expect with this set up.

Also I will be making a bracket to mount the pump off the firewall. How deep should this be. I've read people using 1" and 1 1/4".

Should I use the scout or astro proportioning valve and how do I know if the valve is good? and should I plumb the remote resevior if so to what line.

Thanks for the help

4. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Here's the link to the original write up I did years ago.
    Your only reading snippets here.
    Read the whole thing then decide on a direction to go.

Hydroboost

5. scorp1us

scorp1us High Wheeler

Gillis, Yes, this pic shows the connection and the brake switch that will need to be backed out.

To make the spacer, just get some square tube steed from home depot.

Cut it 2x 4.5" long then drill two 3/8 holes 3.5" apart (centered on the material) and one in the middle.

Then you'll have your spacer.
    See my pics.

Attached Files:

6. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

What size tube?? 1" or 1.25"

7. scorp1us

scorp1us High Wheeler

That answer is a question of how high you want the break pedal. Either will fit. 1" is the smallest you can go. The 1.25" will be a lower pedal, but higher than stock. I'm short, so the higher brake pedal works for me.

If I had access to 1.25" I'd use it. I only had 1", and that's what is in my pics.

8. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

I'm making new lines for my hydro boost set up and was hoping someone could help out on line sizes. Planning on using either Russell Powerflex Braided Stainless Steel or Aeroquip teflon race hose. either -6 AN.

Just want to make sure I am correct before I order the parts. Can someone verify.

Threads on the high side of pump??, 3/8" or 5/8" inverted flare

Low side of pump, 3/8" inverted flare.

What size are the threads on power steering gear, both 5/8" inverted flare??

Threads on the hydroboost 16x1.5m and 18x1.5 both o-ring?

Hydro boost low presure return line??

9. Scout j bo

Scout j bo Farmall Cub

Hello
    Could you check the link to the original report. It's dead. AND I can not find on the site as it all seems to want a url. Thank you so very much . I'm on the quest for how to do this. And ALL. I get is People saying don't. . not how to which is what I am asking for. Thank you .

10. Bill USN-1

https://www.justih.org/
    The original pics are gone from the link due to the club changing servers and software and not retaining any of the work.

11. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

It's always a sad ordeal when this stuff happens. It won't be the first time, and it won't be the last. Archival is the big advantage of mailing list over online forums, i.e. the data is emailed to you, for you to do what you want (save, delete, etc). Data, yours or others, is always in someone else's control in a forum situation.

In addition to Bill's contributions, Tres Sheppard from Hill Country Binders had also done several great write-ups/howto's, that are now lost to time. The best anyone can do, regarding archiving data on a forum, again IMHO, is two-fold. 1st, archive a copy on the Wayback Machine ( http://www.archive.org/ ). 2nd, save a local copy on your HDD, that will be further archived in your local backup proceedures. For Firefox,

File -> Save page as -> choose a local location to save.

12. big steve

big steve Farmall Cub

I spent hours pouring over the search engines on this forum and several others reading Bills and others work. It is sad that the pictures are gone but the info is Still there. I started hydro boosting my diesel 1980 scout yesterday. It went fairly well I built a stand off bracket to mount my hydro unit out of a 1996 gmc suburban I figured it was easier to make the bracket than to drill holes in the firewall and cut and weld the rod. I have it all mounted up I will post pictures this afternoon. I still have to plumb it and need to go back to the junk yard for a couple of brake lines. My daily driver is now down till I get this done.

13. big steve

big steve Farmall Cub

CDC8A35A-C475-4F03-9BC3-785C8D2AF52C.jpeg Here is a picture of the install so far. It hooked right up to my break peddle with full stroke.

14. Curly

Curly Farmall Cub

Hate me, but does anyone have the latest write up link for the hydroboost? Checked the above links and both are dead

15. Bill USN-1

Just do a search for the justih site.
    If it's not back up yet then will have to wait.
    I still need to copy all my write ups so I don't completely lose them.
    Then add the pics back to them on here.

16. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Do them in PDF and upload them to archive.org