HVLP Spray Gun

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by CareyWeber, Jun 15, 2005.

1. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

All,

I bought an HVLP spray gun the packaging says its from Gator Tools.

The packaging has this on it:
    2 in 1 HVLP
    Spray and Primer Gun with Regulator
    Gravity type
    600cc Cup
    1.4 Nozzle
    1/4" pipe inlet
    Compresor required: 2 - 3 HP
    Air consumption 1.6 - 4.0 CFM

GT7050

The Gun has H827W stamped in it and 45 psi max / 3 bar, so I think it might be a Hawk H827W HVLP spray gun.

Below are some pics of the packaging and the instructions.

Do you think I can spray with this gun with a compressor with just 4.0 CFM? In the instructions it says something about "air 4 consumption 12,3 CFM" (see the instruction pic).

Could I use this compressor and paint my scout with my HVLP gun.
    http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4794

Carey

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  2. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If your compressor has a tank than consumption won't matter until you drain the tank down. than your out put will be limited by the compressor it's self.

You don't plan on holding the trigger down wide open continuously while painting do you?

If not then you should have no problem.

Now if you don't have a tank...get an old propane bottle and buy the conversion kit and make one!!! Cheap, easy air tank!!

3. William Griffin

William Griffin High Wheeler

You would have to spray, then wait for the tank to fill. Compressor would run constantly and you would have a lot of water to deal with. My compressor does 18cfm @150psi with a 5hp 240 motor on a 120 gallon tank and while spraying it runs quite a bit.

4. JerryD

JerryD High Wheeler

Are you using an HVLP gun?

5. CareyWeber

Would work for just one paint job?????

Carey

6. Lava

Lava High Wheeler

Carey-
    That hvlp sprayer is gonna do the trick for you.
    The whole deal is to put it all together and make the paint come out right.
    LOTS of pressure never hurts, and control air flow @ the gun.
    I run both a small 3 to 4 cfm and a 7 or so cfm and either works great.
    I now have a water seperator on a 100 or so gallon tank and that works well.
    I can easily run a sprayer like yours using only the 7 cfm and the 100 gal tank.
    I used to run my sprayer with just the 3-4 cfm with its 4 or so gal tank and never had a prob. Of course I sprayed as Bill USN1 suggests, without holding the trigger continuously.
    The main thing is to lay on that paint in a nice, even layer and that can be no easy chore if your paint isn't coming out of the sprayer right.
    Take a piece of sheetrock or plywood and give yourself a lesson in the operation of that gun ya got.
    Watch in particular the shape of the spray's discharge. Is it coming out in a fan or a little circle? You can control the amount of paint/air/and pattern with the little knobs on the gun. Figure it out b4 you go and paint the truck.
    A conventional sprayer or even a cup gun works good too.
    But the conventional really does take LOTS of power to run and the cup gun is pretty bulky to get in tight. That little sprayer of yours would be better if you could fit the paint inlet on the gun with a hose running to a cup on a stick much like an I.V. then you could turn the gun any which way and have a real ball! :D :D

7. CareyWeber

Lava,

Thanks

I really want to try to get some paint on my Scout so it looks better even if its a 10' paint job. ;)

Carey

8. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

(H)igh (V)olume (L)ow (P)ressure.

You can use a standard ol' 25 gallon compressor with one of those. Heck, Eastwood sells a version of an HVLP gun that has it's own compressor attached to a hose. The thing is about the size of a suitcase.

As long as you meet the HP and CFM requirements, an HVLP gun is easier than the old high pressure stuff ever was.

Binderin',

John

9. CareyWeber

How low of a psi can a guy run a HVLP gun: 40psi, 30psi, 20psi, or 10psi?

Carey

10. William Griffin

My HVLP has a regulator at the gun which I set to 20psi. On my old regular gun I used a regulator at the tank set for 40. I sprayed the epoxy primer on my Scout today. With a 1.7 nozzle it took 2 fills of the gun to "get er done". It took about an hour and my big compressor was cutting on about every 5 minutes. I had about a 1/4 inch of water in the separator when I was done even though I had the A/C on in the shop to cut the humidity. Tomorrow morning I'm going for the finish coat. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

11. CareyWeber

William,

How big is your compressor?

Carey

12. Lava

Lava High Wheeler

William, that shop of yours sounds like just the thing for a guy to get some stuff done :cool:
    I need to clean an outbuilding up well enough to fit other junk(like my scout :D ) into it. The unusually rainy year here in Ca is starting to wear on me

13. William Griffin

Well, I shot the finish coat on Saturday. It turned out OK except there is more "orange peel" than I would have liked. But, it is my first time so I can't complain. I think I can wet sand out a lot of it and may end up with something I can be proud of. I'm glad I hung the plastic for a temporary booth. The primer didn't make a mess at all but the top coat was another story. My floor will always have a green tinge in the center that's for sure. It took 4 fills of the gun with a 1.4 tip and 3 times around to get good coverage. I think it would have laid on flatter if I had opened up the fluid a bit more on the last pass, but I was more afraid of runs from over doing it. The paint I used was BASF limco urethane over an epoxy primer. I highly recommend the primer as the panel I test shot last fall and left outside all winter shows no sign of rust coming through. Here is a teaser photo, I'll post more later in a different thread when it is more "put back together". I won't know what to do with all the room in my shop once those boxes of parts are emptied back onto the Scout. For those who haven't seen my shop a picture is in this thread http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30340 That was last fall just after I had finished the shed roof that the Scout is under. Main part of the shop is 24x32 with a 12' addition on one side and a 16' on the other. All built with lumber I had cut from logs with a woodmizer mill.

Attached Files:

14. justscoutin

justscoutin Binder Driver

lookin good! I"m hoping to get some paint on one of my scouts soon. i just got an hvlp gun also. we'll see how it works. got a 60 gallon compressor so air supply should'nt be a problem.

15. William Griffin

Thanks for the encouragement but that picture doesn't do it justice. The pixel blocks are making it look distorted, it isn't that bad in person.

16. CareyWeber

William,

It looks good!!

I think that a different pic would show it off better.

I just hope that I can get mine to all one color soon. :eek:

Carey

17. rcboatfreak

rcboatfreak Farmall Cub

Carey , The Gun you have sound like a War-lick H827W / HVLP. I have one just like. The company is out of TAIWAN. I emailed them for a price list on the components and accessories. Hope this helps if you haven't already found something.
    Larry

You can find more information at this web site. http://www.sanye.com.tw/war-wick/world/war-wick2/americanindex.html

18. CareyWeber

Thanks!! :cool: :D

Carey

19. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

I've had good luck with panel painting. That is painting one panel at a time. It lets the compressor keep up and if the panels are off then you get very good acess and coverage. Downside is that its easy to chip or scratch the paint when reassembling. Put a couple layers of masking tape on the edges of the parts when assembling. This doesn't work real well with metallics and candies and is counter productive for pearls. Sorry guys but when I do a paint job it is very thorough.

20. Lava

Lava High Wheeler

Also, it's really clear to me now that I've done a bit of sucessive coatings work that the consistency of the coating be what it should be.
    Too thick and you'll have a texture problem, too thin and the runs and coverage issues will bite you.
    Sanding between prime and finish coats, depending on the paint, is a lot of the work to getting a good smooth finish.
    Thats nothing compared to the importance of the thickness of the coating and the eveness of the coat during the application.
    its not too hard. :D :eek: :cool: :rolleyes: