How would you proceed?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by DoublecabTravelall, Feb 15, 2020.

1. DoublecabTravelall

DoublecabTravelall Farmall Cub

I have been working on starting a motor that has sat for several years and I have gotten it running for a few seconds. I am unable to keep it running because when I feed fuel to the Carter AFB carb is overflows the bowl and starts coming out of the top. I am feeding it from a 1 gallon tank of fresh fuel with a filter in place. I am using a hand pump to start the fuel flow and then attaching it to the carb with the gas can higher than the carb. Im assuming the carb is gummed up from sitting. First, am I doing something wrong with my fueling process? Im not planning on keeping the carb. Is it worth rebuilding it to make sure everything is good on the motor prior to buying a fuel injection kit? I would hate to spend all of that money and the motor turn out to have a major problem but Im not sure what all to check. Compression? Oil pressure? Cannot really check oil pressure without the motor operating correct? Thanks in advance.

2. Don B

Don B Binder Driver

Maybe someone can loan you a carb to test the engine out. It would help if you had your location in your profile.

Don B

scout2000 and Chris Cooper like this.
  3. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

You really need to provide many more details for readers to understand the situation. What make, model and year is the vehicle, what's its history, which engine, which transmission, what are the plans for it, etc.. Good pictures always provide much detail that a quick description can't. Also, what is your mechanical background, do you have a Factory Service Manual, and what part of the world do you live in; your location can be added to the box on your left by editing your Personal Details after clicking your name on the top right of the page.

scout2000 likes this.
  4. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

The guy I bought my truck from fabbed up a portable fueling rig with a 5-gallon NATO can, a cheap pour spout, a cheap electric fuel pump, a length of fuel hose, and some 5/16 soft copper pipe. When he needs to run a vehicle without a functioning fuel system, he just sets the can in the passenger footwell, runs the hose & pump wiring through the window, hooks them up, and runs the engine off of that. It was how I test drove my 1310 with no functioning fuel tank, pump, or plumbing.

5. DoublecabTravelall

Sorry Fellas,
    It is a 1971 Travelall with 392/ auto with a 4bbl carter afb carb. The previous owner said it has sat since 2003. I have changed the oil, pre primed the engine, fogged the cylinders, set the base timing, and added a coil (it was missing). The plan is to keep the 392 but add Holley Sniper EFI and pertronix. I have worked on a lot of cars over the years but have very little experience with carbs. The truck will idle for about 15 seconds before it runs out of fuel. I am located in Abilene, TX. Will try to get that added to my profile.

6. DoublecabTravelall

I ended up just buying a rebuild kit. There seems to be plenty of instructions available and Ill feel better shelling out the cash for the injection if I can get it running decent on the carb initially.

7. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

I don't know anything specific about that model carburetor but would start by checking for a clogged inlet filter, stuck float valve and looking inside as you open the throttle by hand to see if the accelerator squirts fuel into the bore, before pulling the entire carburetor apart.

DoublecabTravelall likes this.
  8. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

The most likely problem is that there is dirt in the needle valves or the floats are stuck. It could also be the case that a float has developed a leak. Dirty needle valve seats are by far the most likely possibilty though. There should be a model number stamped into the carburetor flange. What is it?

9. DoublecabTravelall

The model is 9605s. I can pull the needles and clean them without removing the carb. Should I try that first?

10. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Your carburetor is pretty much the same as an Edelbrock 1406. If you have the rebuild kit, I'd just go ahead and put it in. It probably needs it. Make sure to clean all the little passages. If you talking about the step up rods, that's not what I'm talking about. You wi have to take the top off the carb to get to the needle valves. They are operated by the floats. cleaning the needle valves and adjusting the floats MIGHT get you up and running. Also check to see if there is fuel in the floats. If there's is, replace them. Edelbrock floats (and most other parts like jets and metering rods) should work in your carburetor. You will also want to check that fuel squirts from the acelerator pump. But everything in there is probably gummed up, the accelerator pump nozzles and jets and other passeges are probably clogged up with old fuel deposits, the needle valve seats are probably worn and the rubber tips are probably hardened and oxydized. You will also want to look at the step up springs. See if you can identify them color or match the size. Edelbrock sells a set of springs to choose from. Inspect the step up rods for previous owner halfassery like trying to sand the ends of the rods down. If so, replacements are readily available.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  11. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

Those have nothing to do with the floats or the idle circuit.
    Remove carb, disassemble carb, clean carb in carb cleaner, reassemble with carb kit following the instructions that are in the kit, reinstall on engine, adjust as necessary per carb kit instructions.
    Install new fuel filter.

12. DoublecabTravelall

Excellent advice. I removed the two needles from the top of the carb. The passenger side was frozen stuck but I was able to free and clean it. That solved my fuel coming out of the top of the carb but I think you all are correct that the rest of the carb is probably gummed up as well. I will install the rebuild kit as soon as it arrives. I ordered new floats as well just in case.

13. RDC279

RDC279 Farmall Cub

That is same route I went on my travelall that had been sitting for over 25 years with a carter AFB.

14. DoublecabTravelall

How do you like the set up?

I put the rebuild kit in the carb. It was extremely dirty from old fuel. It now will start and idle. It has what sounds like an exhaust leak that I need to track down. The plan is to clean up the motor, confirm it is an exhaust leak, get the belts and hoses on, then I will order the holley sniper and pertronix.

15. RDC279

RDC279 Farmall Cub

I pulled this travelall out of the woods where it had been over 25 years. I just rebuilt the carb to check health of engine and so I can drive it in and out of the shop while I am working on it. I will fuel inject it in the future if I drive it enough. I also have exhaust leak on the passenger side where pipe bolts to manifold.

Do you plan to run both tanks with the Sniper?

16. vegestar

vegestar Binder Driver

Not sure if you guys are aware that here on this site there is a fuel injection forum. One of our moderators, Bill Hamilton, has been perfecting GM based tbi systems for all types of vehicles. He can supply you with a complete bolt on kit or all the information to source parts from a junkyard and tailor the system to your needs is right there in the forum. For me the appeal of having a system with readily available parts in any junkyard is worth more than a brand name. Just food for thought in case you weren't aware.

jeff campbell likes this.
  17. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

If I were going to TBI on any IH engine, I would go with Hamilton. He shares all the info on here. As Vegestar stated - you can buy a kit from him or just some of the components. The instructions to go the complete diy route have also been shared by Bill.
    I used his instructions to convert my Holley points distributor to electronic pickup and GM four pin HEI. Works fantastic!

scout2000 likes this.