How to fix chromed plastic

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by jmeister, Oct 22, 2018.

1. jmeister

jmeister Farmall Cub

'74 scout ii chromed plastic grill piece. The chrome is lifting off the plastic at the edges in a couple spots but hasn't yet been torn away. Anybody have a tested method of stabilizing the situation to prevent further lift and loss of the chrome?

2. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

i haven't come across an easy way to stop the the process since its the plastic breaking down. my three options would be find a new one, sand fill and paint yours, or what I would do is sand and truck bed line it. other options are to make a new grill like i did in my signature picture. that one is stainless steel.

skidder likes this.
  3. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

I haven't tried the idea as I don't have the situation, but suppose you could use some of the industrial spray-on adhesives if there's enough material lifting off the surface to get much spray under it. Thinned contact cement aapplied with a pointed plastic "eyedropper" would be similar. The adhesive is strong and flexible, and any excess can be cleaned off the outside with solvent after the underside material is fully dried. These both require application to both surfaces, next some drying time (~15 min) and then tight contact followed by the final drying, probably a few hours to be safe.
    Super glue might also work but would probably require an activator be applied first. It can be problematical to use.

skidder likes this.
  4. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Have it spray chromed. Its shinney as chrome and works on plastic. Look for a spectra chrome shop in your area. The process... http://www.spectrachrome.com/

5. jmeister

jmeister Farmall Cub

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I did this weekend try a new spray chrome on the light buckets and really liked it, so I'll probably use that when it gets bad enough to have to deal with : https://alsacorp.com/easy-chrome/

6. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

Pictures please !!!!

7. jmeister

jmeister Farmall Cub

Stay tuned. I don't have the equipment/space to paint the Scout so the light buckets are at the body shop for reassembly after paint and Lizard Skin. Will get pics asap. If you try the easy chrome, the key is a light coating of the chrome paint over the base coat. I got it a little thick and it started to dull the shine a bit.

8. jmeister

jmeister Farmall Cub

Ok, here are some pics with a comparison to a newly chromed bumper. It's a little dull compared to the chrome, but as I said above I think that was my fault. The buckets were in places badly pitted, so this is over a sand blast, and rust encapsulator

Attached Files:

TX Binder likes this.