How to find the right turbo?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Whitten, May 27, 2020.

1. Whitten

Whitten Farmall Cub

Ok, I am new to the diesel world and I have read almost all of these threads, which are really helpful! My question is, how do I find the correct turbo model? For example if I wanted to get the Mercedes replacemnt Airresearch turbo, how do I know which one is correct? When I search on ebay and/or Google 20 different turbos seem to come up. How do I know which one is the correct one to buy? Thanks for any advice, yes I am new to all of this.

On a side note I am also looking at the HX35W possibly. Not sure how to find the correct one of those either. Thanks for any info on this.

2. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

The MB you want is out of a '77 to '85. Don't want the late Kal version. The one you want just has the wastegate actuator on it with a hose to the compressor housing. No other junk.

What's the HX35 out of? You don't want bigger. The advantage of the MB TC is the smaller area ratio turbine that makes boost at a lower engine rpm. Doesn't make any more than stock.

3. Whitten

Whitten Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info. The HX35W is another suggestion from someone that had put one on their sd33t and had good results. I think it is off of a 94-98 Dodge 6bt, but I am not sure. I am very new to all of this and I am learning a ton as I go. I have a 1976 Scout II with an SD33 in it that I don't know if it works or not, and I also have a stand alone sd33t that needs a new turbo and.......(to be continued). I am not sure where I should start with the stand alone engine, It seems to turn ok, but not sure how to check compression on this engine or anything like that. Thought about jsut buying a rebuild kit and redoing the entire engine while it is out of truck. If you have any suggestions please share. I have read just about everything on here and not sure which route to go. To top all of this off, I also have a 7.3 Turbo engine out of a doner vehicle that I could put in it? A lot to think about...

4. Whitten

Whitten Farmall Cub

Is the MB model the 300TD?

5. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

That's the one.

I thought the HX35 was from a Cummins but couldn't remember for sure. Hard to believe a TC from a 5.9, 250 hp motor would work well on an engine half that size.

What's wrong with the '76?

Seems like you could bolt a starter on the 33T to check compression. Need the correct adapter for the plug holes. I would prolly pull the head for a look and rebuild it. If you decide to rebuild it get a kit from the vendor in Australia with the right pistons that have the armored top ring groove, not the ebay stuff. They're for the earlier NA motors. I won't comment on the quality of them being Chinesium and all.

6. Smb09300

Smb09300 Farmall Cub

Was the hx35 on a compound setup?
    Might work as an atmospheric turbo, but it's too big alone for an sd33. I wonder if a compound set up would be worth the effort or if the engine would immediately blow up.

7. steve graham

steve graham Farmall Cub