How much is an International chest freezer worth?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Bharris, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Bharris

Bharris Farmall Cub

My father found an International Harvestor chest freezer. He said it is about three feet deep and about eight feet long. A friend is going to be selling it, and they told him they bought it in 1965 and the couple they bought it from had it about 15 years. It is still running, never been serviced. I guess the seals are a bit worn but other than that he said it was in nice condition. So anyone have a clue what it might be worth?

2. DrMaserati

DrMaserati High Wheeler

The fact that it's an IH makes it desirable only to the nut cases like us that hang out here at the BB. In general though it's just a 40 year old freezer, and they're not worth much. My guess would be $25 - $40 if it's really nice. A majority of old freezers like that are probably given away.

But if they want to get more for it than it's really worth, this is the place. We are truly a bunch of nuts who have a weakness for all that old IH stuff.

3. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

I'm going to venture along with what Jim said, $50 tops. You could easily spend that much in repairs like a seal or a temp control. A new seal will help it immensely for reducing the compressor's run time and limiting frost build up.

4. Allan E

Allan E Lives in an IH Dealership

I have a model 25 that works great. I only have it because it's IH. A new chest freezer that size is only 2-300 bucks and probably uses half the electricity.

Of course, when you need a place to put the deer you just got, the value goes up. With elk, it goes up even more. There's room for less than half an elk in mine. I guess I'll need another one soon. . .

5. corncrasher

corncrasher Farmall Cub

Be extra carefull moving it. I have had a couple experinces with old freezers that had been working great and setting in one spot forever and after moving them they are no longer cold.

6. Gary Billings

Gary Billings Dreams of Cub Cadets

I got my 1951 IH freezer for free, but it didn't work. After some investigation, it was a $35 temp control that Greg helped me locate.

Unless it's in showroom condition, I'm with everyone else here...$50 would be a good price.

-Gary

7. 1310monster

1310monster Farmall Cub

I'd give a better than normal price for a nice model 111 like my great grandmother bought new in the early 50's if anyone knows of one for sale....I'll be at Springfield.

rockylear@bigplanet.com

Rocky

8. grayhousefarm

grayhousefarm Farmall Cub

Are you interested in a 1951 Chest freezer IH, working well until last week. Don't know enough even think of repair...yours for the pickup in Yakima WA

9. grayhousefarm

grayhousefarm Farmall Cub

If you are an IH freezer "nut case" then I have a 1951 IH working well until last week. Free for the pickup in Yakima WA

10. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

Pictures might help. It's looong drive from where we are.