How Do I make this "Pretty"?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Heidi G, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Heidi G

Heidi G Farmall Cub

This back end came off of the '79 donor. Needing to replace on my '72. In pretty good shape overall, a bit of rust - but nothing I think can't be made "pretty". All the places I've contacted to Powder Coat say its too big a job (68" inches in length). I'm also afraid powered coating will be costly.

Do you have suggestions on what I can do myself? Will spray paint look "cheap". If not, what kind of paint do you suggest and any trips/tricks to use.

2. 'Mater

'Mater Binder Driver

Clean it up really good with a wire brush or wheel. Wipe down with brake cleaner or other solvent. Spray paint on some primer followed by a spray paint color of your choice. The secret to spray paint coming out nice is having the patience to apply lots of thin coats rather than gooping it on until it runs and puddles. As an added bonus, you'll be able to touch it up if it gets dingy or scraped

3. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Too big to powder coat? Pshaw! Would need a lot of prep, probably media blasting, but there's no reason that couldn't be coated for a couple hundred bucks.

4. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Cleaned up and painted would be good but it's also a good candidate for a bed liner treatment. Durable, easy to touch up, and some added traction when climbing on it.
    -Steve

jeff campbell likes this.
  5. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

If you really want it powder coated, I'd be looking for better powder coating shops, a bumper just isn't that difficult.

OTOH, I specifically went with spray paint for my bumpers, for ease of touch up.

Nothing wrong with either decision.

6. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

I agree...you must be talking to some mighty small powder coaters... most can do full truck frames...do some more searching...it really needs sand blasting....then powder coated if that's what you want...if you do decide to paint..then same process..needs sandblasted...but itll need epoxy primer on it before paint...
    Could also do DIY bedliner on it...
    Like stated ..paint is easy touchup... but I'd sandblast reguardless... finished results will be much better

7. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

If you want it to look professional, then you have to do the right prep. Start by sanding off the old paint (a stripper wheel on an angle grinder works great) Then fill any low spots and sand it smooth. Apply a primer/surfaces. Sand the surface until it is completely smooth. Keep repeating until its perfect. Any defect will show in the final paint coat. Once that is done, you can paint it. Dont glob it on. Apply thin even coats. If you screw it up, let it dry,sand it off and do it again. Even a rattle can make a perfect finish, IF you do all the prep right. Personally, if I were going to that trouble, Id practice on a old fender or something, with cheap rattle can spray paint and primer, then once I got the technique down, Id get something better. There are several products out there that allow you to spray paint two part products. Eastwood will sell you these cans that you activate and shake, then you have to use it within the working time. There is also a system with a glass bottle "head" you can mix paint in, and a metal propellant can you attach so you can similarly spray paint with two part products. Ive used the latter and it works quite well. (just make sure you clean it really well so you can reuse the bottle /sprayer part) Or if you have compressed air, buy a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun. They dont last and they dont work WELL, and you cant get parts, but they CAN be finessed to working and if you practice first, your good to go. And its a skill that will be nice to have developed.

I suggest going with junk for your first try in those cases where dirt cheap junk is available. I have a theory about such things. If you have never done something, dont run out and invest in the expensive equipment. You dont know what you need or whats important. (This works for most things,ranging from painting to fishing) If you buy a 15 dollar item from harbor freight or walmart and try it out, you will learn what works, what does not, what the shortcomings of certain kinds of equipment are, and what you really need. (Do you really need that fancy model of the good equipment that costs an extra 80 dollars, or will the basic, but quality made one work as well for you. You often dont know, if its something totally new to you) Then if you decide to do it enough to make an expensive piece of equipment worth buying, then you will KNOW what features you need on it and can buy what you need rather than what someone trying to hype their product is trying to sell you. And you spend such a small amount on the junk equipment, that you can just throw it in the trash and upgrade without much worry. If by some chance you end up in the situation where you limp along with the junk because it gets the job done, and cant justify the expensive equipment, thats fine too. Means you didnt really need it. And sometimes, you decide its not really something you ever want to do anyway. For example, maybe the paint gun works so-so, but the one thing you learn is that you HATE the prep work so much, next time, your just going to pay someone to do it and be done with it and thus the quality of a spray gun is sort of moot, because good or bad, the prep work is a deal breaker for you. Once again, its all good because you didn't put a lot of money into it.

Personally, I just used a gallon of Rustoleum black from home depot. I put it on over the surface rust and the original white paint with minimal sanding and wipe down with acetone. It smooths out pretty good and its a BUMPER. Meant to BUMP things. When my neighbor pulled out and clipped the corner of my heavy steel bumper with his old cadillac, my screaming was not about damage to my truck. Instead I was afraid he was going to tear the whole side off his car. All I had was a little bit of scraped paint, which I patched with a paint brush. Its a bumper... on a truck. And its held up, in the sun, looking just fine for about 5 or 6 years. Adhesion is really good too. It hasn't flaked off ,even when I use the rear bumper as an anvil. (it chips of course but a hammers going to do that to any paint) If I actually sanded and primered the bumper, and thinned it and sprayed it with a sprayer, it would have looked professional. Its honestly a damn good product.

8. tahoedonner

tahoedonner Binder Driver

Have it powder coated. Most powder coating shops I’ve been to use a half semi trailer sized baking room.

9. MJlogan88

MJlogan88 Farmall Cub

10. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

I once had a Scout with a bumper like that, except that it had been chromed. I was rear-ended and it got bent up, so it was deemed unfixable because although it could be straightened, no one knew of a place to have it re-chromed (I think it was ultimately the cost and the Scout had just escaped being "totaled" by the insurance company, so I didn't press the issue). Acquired another one, and the shop prepped it and sprayed it Argent silver. It looked darned good.

11. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

If there are any 9 year old girls in your family, you could try this...
    https://www.orientaltrading.com/sel...9O03vAGFWIWQj_4SH5Ha0mnB0u5piSPhoCooYQAvD_BwE

12. Heidi G

Heidi G Farmall Cub

Appreciate all the responses! I found a place to sand blast, regardless if I end up painting myself or powder coating. Still searching a place to powder coat - I will call around to body shops this week for recommendations. Im convinced I'm calling the wrong people. If it comes down to painting myself, all of the above advice will be extremely useful!

Heidi

13. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

We have a powder coating place that wouldn’t flinch at that, they offered to do mine.

Check other companies.

14. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

Don’t call body shops, check with powder coating companies directly.

15. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

The powder coating place Ive used before lists bumpers at 75-100 dollars + blasting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Ed likes this.
  16. Heidi G

Heidi G Farmall Cub

Ok. I won't call body shops. Good advice. I posted on "NextDoor" and got a lot of local recommendations. If blasting + Powder Coating is around $100 then its well worth doing that than the hassle of trial an error by doing it myself. I also have a roll bar and grill guard to do. Getting this Scout in order is turning out to be an expensive little undertaking. I just wanna drive the girl.

17. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

Not unusual, they’re old vehicles. But you’re on a website full of people that think it’s worth it.

18. 1975IH200

1975IH200 High Wheeler

A suggestion.....when calling a shop for possible work, don't call it "the back end" of your Scout.
    Call it "the rear step bumper" or simply "Step Bumper" and tell them it is 68" long.
    Almost everyone knows what a "step bumper" is.

Heidi G and Big Ed like this.
  19. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

No need to over think and over pay for powder coating and the like. Just clean up and buy a can or two of rustoleum flat black paint and have at it. Cheap, easy and it works/looks good. A bumper is for stepping on, crashing into things and jacking a scout with a high lift. It is utilitarian and does not need much love.

20. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

Paint wears off... I powder coated a lot of stuff on my truck, do it if you can.