Hoses - Group Consensus?

Discussion in 'The BioDiesel Plant' started by cv_scout, Apr 27, 2012.

1. cv_scout

cv_scout Farmall Cub

Hi all-

So the time has come to upgrade the fuel system for B100. I have searched and searched this site but have not found any detailed info on the replacements for the two hoses between the lift pump and the filter and the filter and the pump.

Ideally, I would like to just replace the banjo fittings with ones that can receive hoses and use 5/16" ID fuel injection line (SAE 30R9). I am assuming the line pressure does not get high enough to warrant hydraulic hoses. I have seen BAT listed, however, their fittings are "plated steel". Is this zinc or galvanizing? I am still fixing the galv issues with my filler neck.

Also, any developments on sourcing the piece of hose between the fill neck and the tank?

Anyways, if anyone can chime in and let me know what a solid sucessful strategy is it would be greatly appreciated. Part numbers and/or pics would be a bonus. :)

Cheers,
    Casey

2. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

The fittings from BAT are probably not galvanized but some other platting.I have had no problems with them. There are bronze banjo to barb fittings if you prefer, There is a place called hoses and fittings in California that has them.
    The pressure is not a problem, less then 20psi but I would use 3/8 30R9 instead of the 5/16
    good luck

3. cv_scout

cv_scout Farmall Cub

Thanks for that. I will go with 3/8" hose. Now I am deciding whether or not to just have the hoses made or buy the fittings only and run my own hose. Parker carries a push-lok banjo, but it is still zinc-plated. As are all the others I am finding...

https://www.tyagiracing.com/products/14MM-Banjo-Spigot-Fitting-for-10mm-Hose.html

and

https://www.tyagiracing.com/products/14mm-Banjo--Fittings-for-10mm-Hose.html

and

http://www.mrostop.com/34982146-parker-metric-banjo-hose-fitting-p-27683.html?osCsid=f7e4903e8168092f40146f842c38e4ef

The only ones I am finding in aluminum are -AN fittings, no barbs.

From the measurements all the banjos seem to be 14mm, is this correct?

Also, can I re-use the existing banjo bolts? I will be replacing the washers with aluminum.

Cheers,
    Casey

4. q_mech

q_mech Farmall Cub

Howdy cv_scout

I see from the series of posts you've put up recently that you're upgrading your Scout for B100. Could I ask a favor? When you've got it set up such that you're happy with it, could you put up a post detailing the parts and processes you used? I'm doing the exact same thing right now but I'm not as far along - I just pulled the gas tank yesterday and am pricing out replacement hose, etc.
    I know this information is probably all present in the archives, but if you could put together an up-to-date description of the process it would be a very useful resource.

Cheers,
    q_mech

5. cv_scout

cv_scout Farmall Cub

Hi q_mech-

Already working on it...I have heaps of pics and will be writing up what I did as well as listing part numbers and things not to do (from experience :uhh:).

Oh yea, and get the galvanized filler neck blasted and cleaned. It causes massive issues as the B100 sits in the bottom (similar to a plumbing fixture p-trap) and send silver paste into your filters...

Cheers,
    Casey

6. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

The factory nylon hoses are acceptable to use with the bio. The thirty something rubber lines need to go or they will start leaking. I would replace all the rubber with viton tubing