Holley sniper 2300

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by Tom Ledkins, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Tom Ledkins

Tom Ledkins Farmall Cub

So the sniper system with timing control is up and running. The timing table that the sniper system builds in the basic mode is terrible. I have tried to build one using tables from binder as a reference but the one in the sniper software is a bit larger so I had to do some adjustments. Can someone take a look at the PDF and see how it looks? I am just learning so I want to be careful and I haven't uploaded this to the scout yet.

Attached Files:

2. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you don't have timing adder tables like the factory systems do for things like PE-power enrichment, then your table is a little slow.
    Take a look at the distr hints FAQ and see what RPM the timing maxes out at.
    Your not hitting 32* until 3600rpm.

3. Tom Ledkins

Tom Ledkins Farmall Cub

Bill,
    Did you look at the second page of the attachment? Its the annoyingly small print page and that is the one I made for the sniper system.

4. Bill USN-1

Being side ways, it gave me a head ache.
    But it's still the same for the wot/100map column.
    I also normally use the 100 map column for the 20/30 map closed throttle column to start with.
    You need to see when the factory timing is complete. Then have that rpm as your max timing, generally 32* if you don't have adders like a good factory system does.
    So if max timing is 2200rpm crank timing not distr degrees, then at 100 map and 2200rpm you should have 32*.
    Then you can run it wide open and see if you have any pinging. assuming your AFR is correct!!!!!
    If not then you could add 1-2* or just bump your base timing and shift the entire curve up.

5. Tom Ledkins

Tom Ledkins Farmall Cub

Yes I know sorry for the format its the only way I could fit it. OK that is what I thought looking at the distributor information, so I will work on another table. Most of the examples I can find on Binder show idle timing at 15 degress at idle, does it need to be that high?

6. Bill USN-1

No, it can be anything you want it to be.
    I just like the idle with 15*.
    It would be about the same if you ran manifold vacuum to your vacuum adv instead of running ported vacuum.
    You need to read the distr tips and hints FAQ to help understand the distr and timing a little better.

7. Tom Ledkins

Tom Ledkins Farmall Cub

I am reading just getting it figured out.

8. Tom Ledkins

Tom Ledkins Farmall Cub

So this is the only dist FAQ I could find http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109011&highlight=distributor+tips .
    After reading this and a few other threads here is what I think is correct. At 2200 rpm wot I should be at 32 degress timing in a carburetor scout that would be a base timing of 10 and 22 deg of mechanical adv and that would the max mechanical advance. Vacuum adv is all in at 15 in and anything above 15 and would be 6 degress timing.