Holley gold box on a 152?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Albuq. Henry, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

Hello, Im back in the madness again, this time with an 80 with a 152. I am in the process if seeing if the engine will run. I am not ready to throw any money at it until I know the engine will run.

In my parts box I have a working holley gold box setup that I would carry for backup for the sv 304. I searched last night but didnt find anywhere where its been done (a sv gold box on a 4 cly). I did find a post where a holley points from an sv was used on a 196.

Should work right???

Thanks -Henry

2. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

The problem with any V8 distributor, points or electric for use in a 4-popper is the number of lobes or reluctor edges. You have four too many. That dog won't hunt. Your distributor needs to match the number of cylinders the engine has.

3. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Or take that GB distr and use a dremel to carefully remove every other fin off the reluctor.
    You need to set the 4 cyl cap(if it's also a holley and not a Delco) on the GB distr to determine which fins will be lined up with the cap terminals.
    Then when you drop it in make sure to line up the rotor with the cap.

I would hold the distr upside down while sanding the legs off to keep the dust out of the distr.

I assume you have the GB and wiring to go with the distr????

If not then the duraspark conversion shown in the injection forum would be better.

4. Albuq. Henry

Wont it just not fire at the time it comes around to a spot with no wire?

5. Bill USN-1

The spark will look for the shortest path to ground.
    If it arcs in the cap to another post it will cause a misfire.

If it shoots back thru the center of the rotor to the distr shaft it will make an arc trail and then all 8 firings will follow that path.
    Best not to fire at all unless you set up a wasted spark ignition so it sends the other 4 to a cyl on the exhaust stroke like some DIS systems use. That's how my DIS- distributorless system works on one of my 4 cyls. It fires 2 cyls at the same time but only one is on the compression stroke.

6. Albuq. Henry

Thanks bill that makes sense and something I wouldnt have thought about. Maybe I can use the extra spots to set up a flame shooting exhaust lol...

7. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

There are 4cyl Gold Box distributors. While the 152 went out of production before the age of electronic ignition the 196 was installed as the base engine following the first energy crisis. The reluctor on the 4cyl engines is not like one for a 8cyl with every other fin missing the fins are much wider on the 4cyl reluctor. This is done because to delay starting charging the coil so that it is not over saturated to prevent it from overheating.

If all you are doing it trying to see if it runs why can't you get it running with the points distributor that is in there now? If the distributor is missing the points or missing all together then as a temporary solution you could install an 8cyl distributor, cap rotor and wires. Line it up on TDC and pick your #1 terminal on the cap, adjust the distributor so that the rotor is lined up with that terminal and then the "fin" on the reluctor with the center of the pickup and wire every other terminal on the cap to the cyls in order and then put wires in the terminals between them and connect them to ground away from the carb. That way you'll get spark to the cyls when you need it and when the gold box tries to fire the coil between the ones attached to the cyls the energy will have some place to go. If you just leave the wires out the coil will generate a spark and where it goes will be hard to predict. Likely it will be to one of the terminals that has a wire connected to it which will likely cause a back fire as it will most likely go to the next terminal in sequence which will be a cylinder that is partially filled with fuel and has an open intake valve.

8. Albuq. Henry

Thanks yeah there is a points delco dist in there. It seems as much effert to clean it up and adjust as it is to figure out the grounding the unused spark. I like to keep the extra gold box and carry it in case someone dies out on the trail.

9. Eric VanBuren

It should only take a few minutes to get the Delco dist that is in there making sparks. Run a piece of fine sand paper between the points and it should be good to go, at least for seeing if the engine runs.

10. Bill USN-1

Took longer to type all these replies with 2 knuckles then to get an engine running with points !!

11. Albuq. Henry

lol I did try to play with it a little I was getting intermitten spark, and it looks way to nasty as is to mess with it but guess I gotta do some cleaning....

12. Albuq. Henry

What I learned is more valuable than the time to clean it. So thaks guys. I was hoping I could run the gold box for good, even when the scout is up and running.

13. Eric VanBuren

Then look for a Gold Box or Prestolite distributor for a 196. Of course with the Prestolite you don't need the gold box but if it fails and you carry a spare pickup you can bolt it in and wire up your Gold Box. Little known fact, the Gold Box and Prestolite are both pulse inductance systems, the pickup and reluctor are the same part (but different length wires on the pickup) and Prestolite earned Holley's supplier of the year for designing and building the Gold Box system.

14. Albuq. Henry

I will probly run points for a while then when ready to upgrade do Bills conversion since that seems better that spending 120 for ptron igniterII

15. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

One of the nice things about that old mechanical tech was that its very robust. It needs a lot of TLC and periodic adjustment for wear,but other than that,it just works,it wont just unexpectedly let out all the magic smoke and leave you stranded.

If your electronic ingition dies,its dead. Your not going to be able to get a dead ignition module going again on the side of the road,so you better have a spare. Point igntions are a different matter. Say you drive a few thousand miles and it suddenly quits. You look at the points and they are badly pitted,maybe welded together. The condensor is a charred mass where it shorted out and now its just a big resistor. Some say this is a downside of points,that stuff like this happens. Its true,it doesnt happen on an electronic igntion and they fail less often. However,when this happened to me on my old 68 Volvo,I pulled out my pocket knife,pried the contacts on the points apart,filled em down somewhat smooth with the file on the pocket knife, gapped them with a business card,took the condensor out and drove to the parts store to buy a new set of points and a new condensor. Often with the mechanical stuff,if it fails,you can get it going enough to get you home. Of course,a new car will probably run for 100,000 miles and never fail at all.