Help with no spark

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by rexdropssticks, Feb 15, 2020.

1. rexdropssticks

rexdropssticks Farmall Cub

, Yes, key off no spark , key on it sparks

2. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Ok. Now reconnect the ground wire to the coil. We have now determined that the coil is good, and you have power to the coil when the key is on. Notice how when you disconnect the wire, it sparks. What is happening is, when you connect the wire energy is stored in the magnetic field created by current flowing through the coil. When you disconnect the wire, the field collapses and the energy has no where to go but across the spark gap. That is how your ignition works. If you have points, the points are just a little mechanical switch that rides on the cam and creates those sparks, just like disconnecting the wire. In your case, you have an electronic ignition. There is a little electronic circuit that connects the negative terminal of the coil to ground, then disconnects it creating a spark. It knows when to switch off and on based on that little white pickup coil that monotors the position of those little spokes that stick out of the shaft. When one goes by the pickup coil, it switches on then off.

Clearly that part is not doing it's it job. Possibilities are the pickup coil or the module or the wiring between them. Inspect the wires carefully, both inside and outside the distributor. It's not particularly likely
    there's a problem there unless someone screwed them up, but you did have several people working on it, so make sure they look ok, not pinched or cut or damaged. The most likely problem is the ignition module. The pertronix would have fixed that it's just a different kind of ignition module. (The pertronix would also have fixed it if it were the pickup as it has its own)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  3. rexdropssticks

rexdropssticks Farmall Cub

I guess I don't understand why when I hooked up the pertronix the day I got it according to their instructions which are very easy, it still would not fire. But that one is history so I will get another and try again as I could buy three of the pertronix for the price of points distributor. Thank you very much for your help with this!

4. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

If
    Maybe the pertronix was bad from the get go. O