Help with alternator

Discussion in 'Tractor Tech' started by MAJ777, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

I have a 1951 Farmall Super A and I believe the alternator is bad. Auto parts store in town says they have one and starting mine off the tractor to trade it in and started thinking that I don't think the auto parts store would have an alternator like this. Where would I get one like this at?
    Thanks for any help,
    Joe

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

I would expect the original equipment in 1951 to have been a generator. Before I'd replace it, I would try to check the entire system, particularly the regulator, all wiring, and the grounds. If sitting a long time, a generator may just need to have its residual magnetism restored. Contact by the brushes is also worth checking; unlike an alternator which carries a small magnetizing current, on a generator they carry the entire output.
    BTW, a picture showing more of the unit, that is, taken from farther away, might be useful to others who know that tractor better than I and can identify the unit.
    Others hare can likely give you more detailed advice, but it might take a while for such replies; they should be worth waiting for.

3. Packerrailway

Packerrailway High Wheeler

IF your problem is the part pictured, you are showing the starter and the starter solenoid.

4. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

That's a starter motor in the picture. There is no solenoid on this one. Your generator would be on the other side; unless the tractor's electrical has been converted it should be a generator.

5. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

I stand corrected. My bad, I appreciate the help

6. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

I just spent $200 on a new alternator and battery. Hooked it up exactly the way I took it off and it won't even turn over. Doesn't even make a clicking sound. What am I doing wrong?

7. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Check the battery charge. You should see in excess of 13 volts on a new battery. F not put a charger on it.

8. Greg R

Uhm, back the tractor up Slim. We know nothing, and he ain't giv'in any. Is this a generator or an alternator? 6 volt or 12? Pos or neg ground? If a generator, has it been polarized? If the tractor has stock wiring, it's more than likely 6V Positive ground for starters. :cowboy:

Packerrailway likes this.
  9. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

We need much more information to understand the situation. What was/were the original problem(s) and what tests did you do to determine what components were bad? What voltage and size battery does it use, does it really have an alternator (if so, do you know if it was original?), have you checked the wiring and grounds between the battery and starter, etc.?
    I don't know that tractor and how the starter is hooked up, but do know that I can usually figure things out by taking them apart, cleaning them, and replacing parts like brushes which are obviously worn out. Without knowing more details, it's hard to suggest much more.

10. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

My bad. When I viewed the post it opened on the post right above mine. I assumed it was a Scout, as I forget about the tractor sections, as I do t ever visit that portion of the site.

11. Packerrailway

I remember ORIGINAL Farmall "H" and "M" models as being 6 volt POSITIVE ground equipment. AND as Greg said the new generator needs to be polarized before things will work. FYI, 12 volt battery can be used BUT you MUST change to 12 charging AND use a resistor for points/coil protection!

12. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

This is negative ground. Thanks!

Attached Files:

13. Packerrailway

Points ignition or magneto? Running resistor for coil if points? If you don't have a resistor before the coil, you might have fried the coil. key type switch or a pull switch? Rod to push with your foot to activate the starter? Mag, pull switch and rod would be factory. It is highly likely that that was updated somewhere along the way though.

14. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

Not answering most of the important questions at least three of us have asked!
    The pictures help a little ...
    but not about the starting system, which seems to be where your main problem is.

15. Greg R

To recap: From what I can find in my IH tractor data book the A and Super A either had a magneto or 6 volt battery ignition. That implies a 6 volt generator/regulator for lights and battery, and positive ground. Now I see a Delco 10 SI 12 volt alternator on there. Behind the switch/gauge panel are a fuse and resistor for the electrics. The history would be very helpful, and pictures of the total layout such as the wiring harness points, the ignition, starter motor and perhaps a drawing of where everything goes. It's the same strategy I use when I come on something I know nothing about; make a "map", get a bird's eye view, and figure the history on changes , conversions, etc.