Help with 1980 scout ii 304 manual trans

Discussion in 'North Texas Binders' started by 80scout83, Sep 21, 2020.

1. 80scout83

80scout83 Farmall Cub

Hi everyone I am new to the forum, I have a 1980 scout ii with a 304 and 4 speed manual. I believe it once had the diesel motor as I have a glow plug reference in the interior. I am looking for someone near Kaufman that could help me get it running. My son turns 16 in late November but with backups at the license office he won't be able to drive until January 2021 so that is my target date of completion. I am happy to pay for the help.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris Lutz

Chris Lutz

2. Julian 537

Julian 537 Binder Driver

Does the motor turn over? Was it running previously?

3. 80scout83

80scout83 Farmall Cub

Yes it previously ran and the motor turns over. The bulkhead connections are junk and when i tested the starter it spins but the bendix gear doesn't move out so I'm guessing the solenoid is bad. Im not good at electrical and because I think it used to have a diesel motor the wiring doesn't line up with what I think I should have.

4. 80scout83

80scout83 Farmall Cub

Anybody in the area want to give me a hand?

5. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

I'm not in your neck of the woods but from what I gather most folks have hang out on fakebook because the traffic here on the BP has dropped off a lot over the last couple of years. There is supposedly a big binder following over there but I don't do social bs so I only know about it from what I've heard.

6. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

People who can read this are spread out all across the country and continent, some even around the other side of the world. Many of us can give good advice via this site, but particularly due to distance, to the state of the economy and perhaps to the "health" edicts, much fewer are likely to be able to physically respond. Texas may be better than elsewhere, but still...

I would also think that using the Scout as a project with the son, both learning together about repairing it, might be a better goal than just turning over the keys once he can drive, assuming that's possible.
    As for the starter circuit, the wiring isn't complicated, not like wiring inside modern Integrated Circuit chips, and good diagrams can make it appear as simple as it is.
    Either way, I'd suggest buying a god Factory Service Manual specific to the vehicle, also the correct Parts Manual, and starting a Permanent Log book for recording everything done, keeping receipts with, and perhaps noting any odd things you find about the vehicle. As mentioned earlier in another thread, perhaps buying an old digital camera dedicated to this project, both to use when taking things apart to document for reassembly, and just to show progress in the work, or the end results. We always like good pictures here.