{Help} So Cal Scout II Needs Friends

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by sliknick, Oct 23, 2003.

1. sliknick

sliknick Farmall Cub

Hello everyone,

I live in Santa Monica, Ca and bought a 1978 Scout II a few months ago. She is in need of repairs, but I cant do it myself I do have some tools, the willingness to help or do it all with guidance, I also have some money to toss at her. I could also send her to a shop, but really only will do that if I see that its a reputable scout shop or off roading enthusiast repair facility.

I need help though. I am hoping to meet some others locally who either can show me how to identify what is wrong with her currently and then how to fix it, or perhaps someone knows of a trusted skilled scout shop. I would rather repair her myself as I do have minor auto mechanic skills.

1978 SCOUT II Low Compression v304 engine Manual 4 speed 4X4

Problems currently -

1. Shaking in rear when releasing clutch in starting gear.
    2. Vibration in rear when downshifting to 1st gear when stopping.
    3. Timing is off
    4. Shocks are shot and suspension is pretty bad too.
    5. Lubrication seems duely necessary as well.

Note: The engine actually seems really strong and is very clean, can still see original paints in engine compartment. The underbody has the normal road grime and grease

Some stuff I want to do after fixing -

1. Paint the Scout she is currently all primer with original interior and refurbished seats.
    2. Suspension lift 2 inchs maybe.

Please, If you can help me at all with any info please post here and I will get back to you immediately. I want to start ASAP on her and enjoy the ride.

2. Ben Segrest

Ben Segrest Binder Driver

The most valuable tool you can get is a service manual. You can get one through many of the vendors listed in the vendor section or by clicking on one of the banners at the top of the page.

About the timing, International Harvester SV V-8 engines time off the #8 cylinder. That is, the rearmost cylinder on the passenger side of the vehicle. If you don't have access to a timing light, timing it by ear can usually net decent results. If you do have a light, setting it somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees would probably be a good place to start.

Shocks are a pretty easy job. I bought stock replacements for mine for like 45 dollars total with a lifetime warranty. Granted, they aren't the best shocks, but they were a vast improvement over the 4 dead shock they replaced.

As for the suspension, I am curious if your springs are sagging or if the spring eye bushings need to be replaced. Something to look at.

Also, you should look carefully at the body bushings and replace if necessary.

Welcome to the club.

3. sliknick

sliknick Farmall Cub

You are correct...

The 70 year old guy I bought the Scout from gave me both Factory manuals and all original documentation that she rolled off the line with.

I have went to two auto shops and told them to time it off the #8 and when I picked it up they could not help me out. Oh and they told me that my Timing Belt might be bad..UMM no belt in my engine. Frusterating to say the least.

The leafs are sagging a little and most of the bushings are beat. I have heard that replacing the shocks is a BITCH! excuse my language and I really want to get the vitals in stable condition first, but yes they are next in line.

I did time it by ear and it runs better but, the old owner told me that the Glass Packs might cause issues due to the baffling combating with the low compression engine, but I dont know anything about that.

Thanks for your post.

4. rponder

rponder Farmall Cub

RE: Quick checks and fixes

Hey man welcome to Scoutville ! We're sure you'll like it. I was taught a quick way to set your timing by ear from an old mechanic I started working with years ago. If you've already set it by ear this will dial it on in. Put it in gear and give it some steady gas. If you hear spark knock, it's too far advanced. If you don't hear spark knock then advance it a bit just until you get spark knock then retard it just a bit. I swear it works every time and you'll be right on the money when you put it in a strobe light as well as getting maximum power out of it. Second, you may need to adjust your clutch. Is it slipping any when you shift, especially in first gear as you start rolling. Bad clutch adjustment can cause an awful lot of vibration. Last, check all the U-joints in the drivetrain and really check where the driveshaft hooks into your rear differential. Grab the yoke sticking out of the differential and push it up and down and side to side. If it has play in it your shaft bearings inside will need changed and it's probably a big source of your vibration.

5. rponder

rponder Farmall Cub

RE: BTW

Your "mechanics" were a bunch of lame slackers that probably just came fomr around back of the shop after smoking a joint. What a lazy bunch of %$#%$#@!@$# !!! They could have helped you, they just didn't want too. BTW - Shocks ain't no biggy, just go for it. I've always changed the shocks myself on all my vehicles. I don't really regard and IH (at least the stock 345 in a Scout II) as low compression. All my cylinders run around 140 lbs. Now they are notorious as a low oil pressure vehicle.

6. Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Super Mod from Downunder Staff Member Administrator Moderator

shuddering or jerking upon take off is also a sign that there could be oil on the clutch facing, removed the lower cover at the bell housing and check if the clutch is dry. if it is wet on the gearbox side of the flywheel it could be your problem.

you can also time your engine with a vacuum gauge hooked to the inlet manifold, it should be up around 20 inches of vacuum if its low just loosen the dissy and rotate it slowly while the engine is running, one way will lower the vacuum and the other will raise it, when you reach maximum vacuum dont rotate it any further tighten the dissy and test drive if it knocks or pings you will need to turn the dissy back a little, then retest.:D

7. lonnie dicus

lonnie dicus Binder Driver

you are lucky

congradulations, you have successfully engaged some of the most knowledgeable people there are about scouts. while the manuals are a big help, they pale in compairson to the help and support that is available on this board. internationals are wonderful rigs in that they are fairly straight forward to work on and most of it is just nuts and bolts. since you are just starting out i would suggest the following:

1. clean it - it is always easier working on and around something that does not leave you covered in dirt/grease everytime you touch it. plus it gets you looking a lot closer at the rig.

2. make a list- start at the inside (drivetrain) and work your way out (body) about what needs attention.

3. get a notebook - with your list in hand, do a search on this board for those items that need attention. a little homework on your side will pay hugh dividends and may make others more willing to help knowing you are doing your part.

4. make a friend-search out through this board or others to find local bindernuts that can either help you directly and/or steer you to others that can help.

5. a shop - while i do not often take my rig to a shop, my advice is that if the mechanic does not recognize what you have and can not tell you about the thousands of binders he has worked on, i would keep looking.

6. just do it - really want to encourage you to get in there and get your hands dirty. am willing to bet , given a little time and a few basic tools you can bring rig back to glory.

hope this helps.

8. chismjd75SIIXLC

chismjd75SIIXLC Farmall Cub

Welcome to Scoutdom!

First: When I bought my Scout about 2 yrs ago, I did essentially what Lonnie recomended. Printed about 50 pages or so of tech data, how to info and parts lists from the BB and Jim Weed's website. Still find good DIY info occasionally from automotive vendors. Take all your printed info and put in a Binder binder:) . Makes a great reference.

Second: Visit and support the BB. No tool in my garage is as valuable!:p

I had some rattles when I first got mine...U joints. Block wheels, put everything in neutral, get under there and start grabbin and shakin. Shocks..piece o cake I'd recommend a gear wrench for the front top nuts - best thing since sliced bread.;)

If your new to turnin wrenches I'd ask some of the ole pros on the BB as to there recomendations on what tools to buy first.

My $.02 on auto mechanic work: Ability follows determination/resolve. There's plenty of resources available to get you through any mechanical situation.:)

Although if it is your daily driver you might have to air up the tires on your bicycle every once in a while!:eek:

9. rponder

rponder Farmall Cub

RE: Lonnie Dicus nailed it man!

Lonnie outlined exactly the procedure I've gone thorugh on every Scout I've ever owned. What can I say? The man has way with words. Some of the best and simplest advice I've seen in a while.

10. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Welcome...........

...........to the world of IH. There is nothing difficult about working on these beasts. And they don't very often leave you stranded if you give them enough attention. Keep your manuals handy; the info you need is in there, sometimes a bit cumbersome to find, but it is in there. I've owned F**ds, Chebys and a few imports, but I've found IH the easiest to work on.

Thumbs up to Lonnie's statements. I can vouch for him as he and I have spent time working on each other's rigs. Like he said in #6, "Just do it".

Have fun.

Lyle

11. sliknick

sliknick Farmall Cub

You all are a great help

I definately am going to end up doing the work myself mostly as it seems so far. Today I noticed one of my bolts to my starter was missing...hmm...fixing that today and tossing a new starter in for the hell of it, just picked it up at kragens.

I will keep posting but if anyone in So Cal is near me (Santa Monica) I can meet you where ever or you can come to my place, I have room to work on two trucks side by side easily. I really am interested in meeting some others

I looked on the members section and club sites and cannot find a IH chapter in Los Angeles area, maybe anyone willing to start one with me? and learn as we go?

12. FoNiK

FoNiK Farmall Cub

Well Let me see i Live in La Puente from Santa Monica thats about what 35-40 mins (pending on what part of SM you live in), im gonna check out Scouts West this month in Fullerton. Im new too so im looking for help as well Mike N recommend them to me. Well GL.

13. Mike N

Mike N Farmall Cub

14. Brian K.

Brian K. Binder Driver

Good luck on the Scout...I'm in Oceanside with a '79. I just put an entire suspension on Ebay...all springs and nearly new shocks. The whole suspension only has 50K miles on it and is in very good shape. I can't sell it outright because it would be unfair to those bidders, but I'll offer it out to you if you want to participate in the auction. Santa Monica isn't an unreasonable drive and we travel to the valley quite a bit. If you are interested, check it out!
    Good luck,

Brian

15. sbigler

sbigler Banned

Local helping hands...

First of all John Tabor ( jamwagon@juno.com ) is an excelent Scout tech... and he lives about 5 miles from you in Venice. He can do all the heavy and internal stuff.

As to the build up and externals... I can help you there, and I'm in Beverly Hills area. (310) 313-5609

Shop manuals are priceless.... but knowledgeble hands are even better.

"A 78 Scout...." did you buy Rob's yellow one?

-Steve

16. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

dont rev engine when releasing clutch will probably eliminate the vibes
    and you traded in your good starter at kragens?? I see you have a lot to learn!

17. Amfab

Amfab Farmall Cub

When Im in Santa Monica, and I need International help I call John Tabor (if I dont just run into him).One word of advice though, if you get in touch with him just make sure you have a pad of paper and a pencil handy, he has a ton of International info in his head and he aint stingy with it.You are gonna wanna take notes
    -Andrew