Help! Rookie screw up... swear jar is overflowing (345 TBI)

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by Daniel Nance, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Background:
    345 v8, 1973 Scout 2 build from ground up... no previous mechanical experience and have followed this board for all help. The block was over-bored slightly, new cam, all new wiring, 727 trans rebuilt by a professional... I’m almost 2 years into this build (I’ll post a link to my build thread on this site in a response)...
    Injection:
    I ordered a TBI kit from Affordable Fuel Injection (AFI), with tach filter, and kept my same Holley distr. Just recently converted distributor to electronic ignition using dodge d300 pickup, gm 4 pin module, Ford reluctor, and upgraded to HEI Ecore coil (Accel 140011). I still have some adjustments on timing to make.
    Problem:
    I have been communicating with AFI to work out the electronic ignition conversion and during the course of the correspondence, I explained that when I rebuilt the engine I used the following cam:
    https://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/cca-83-202-4... I can’t remember my reasoning behind using this, but I did (I am aware that I should have just gone with a stock cam, so please let’s not get into discussion as to why...)
    - AFI never asked about specifics on the rebuild nor did I inform them... now AFI has told me that the kit I ordered won’t work with this cam - they said “One of the problems here is the lopey idle. Fuel injection does not like varying vacuum at idle.” and that I either need to:
    1) put old stock cam back in vehicle to properly work with the TBI kit
    2) or they can try and recalibrate chip (for a cost) and upgrade the ecm to accommodate a new wide band o2 sensor that will be needed... even by doing this, they cannot guarantee success.

So I’m not sure what to do at this point... apart from trying to overcome the overwhelming feeling of defeat.

I also need advice as to whether or not I need to replace valve springs of staying with the upgraded cam... but that may be for a different forum.

What are the experts thoughts? Now that I’m finally coming around to post... something I should have done BEFORE rebuild and TBI install.

Thanks for any input or help with this issue.
    -Daniel

2. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

3. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

So many questions on your decision making.
    Why buy a fuel only AFI system instead of a complete fuel and ignition system from someone in the IH community?
    Why do a distr conversion and still leave it fuel only?
    You could have just added the timing wiring and had timing control.
    i CARRY THE TIMING CONTROL CONVERSION HARNESS JUST FOR GUYS THAT BUY AN AFI OR HOWELL FUEL ONLY SYSTEM.
    oops caps off.
    A custom tune from me is $150.
    The system can be tuned but it's not a 1 time shot.
    You will need a data logging cable also. $30
    Valve springs are only needed if you plan to raise the RPM of the engine.
    Stock is good for about 4-4500.
    I have dyno'd mine at over 5500rpm. But it doesn't really make any more power due to the poor head flow.
    But it sounds good.

Daniel Nance likes this.
  4. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Bill... again, my decision making was based on limited knowledge (my own ignorance). I should have asked so many more questions before I made decisions I did... but now I’m trying to make the best with the consequences of my uninformed decisions. Again, prior to this I had zero mechanical experience.

I am completely open to controlling the timing, I just thought I was stuck with fuel only because of my decision to purchase the kit that I did. How much is timing control cable?

I am also open to a custom tune from you and open to the tune taking some time... I’ve read many of your threads/posts as my build has evolved and have a lot of respect for your IH knowledge.

Is the Accel coil (hei ecore style... part 140011) adequate for timing control and dist setup? I’m still working on some details of the conversion.

Thanks Bill for your input and being willing to help me through this.

5. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Bill, meant to ask... what about needing the wide band o2 sensor, requiring ecm upgrade (as I was told by AFI)?

6. Bill USN-1

Coil looks like a GM replacement.
    It's fine.
    Timing harness is $30
    Are you running headers?

7. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Have stock exhaust manifold... no exhaust pipes hooked up yet... that’s the last big item I need to source out... just got my brakes to a point where I can take the vehicle to local muffler shop... but just before I could do that I started having trouble with the engine running (it was running okay, but hadn’t taken it out in the road yet)...do headers make a big difference?

8. Bill USN-1

Save your money.
    Run dual exhaust 2 1/4 and put a balance tube behind the TC.
    Muffler to taste.
    O2 sensor should be just below the manifold.

9. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Bill, just to clarify - the barrow band o2 sensor that came with the AFI kit is acceptable?

10. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

I can provide additional info on the AFI kit and feel free to Message me to setup timing control cable purchase... I thought my ecm couldn’t do that for some reason.