Help Needed! ... Anyone have an Iron Foundry relationship?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Dana Strong, May 10, 2015.

1. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

The basic need is for someone who has had close contacts with an eastern iron foundry capable of pouring large, thin walled castings requiring complex cores. Perhaps someone who was in the IH system and dealt with getting parts produced, maybe someone who just likes IH products and also happens to be connected to this field.

I have a friend, a retired engineer who’s worked on devices used from the deep sea, to deep space. Some years ago, he began a one-man project which has progressed to the stage where he needs to find such a foundry which can start producing his castings for a reasonable price. During the development stage, he designed and built the molds and core boxes and established procedures for their use, and test castings were successfully poured. However, the West Coast foundries he’s worked with either haven’t been able to consistently follow procedures, want to use different/more expensive molding materials, or simply want to charge way too much. In short, none seems really interested in doing the work.

Although this project isn’t for an IH vehicle or product, it does have direct application to the possible future production of such parts, so, to get good exposure, I’m posting this in the General IH Tech section rather than the Machine Shop or Martini Lounge. I’ve been waiting for some good progress and hopefully some early production before starting a detailed thread about the project, a thread to show what one determined and capable person can do by himself.

Anyone having such knowledge, or even any suggestions, is requested to post something here, and if wanted or needed in order to pass on additional information, either PM me or send an Email, referencing this title, to my listed address.

Thanks,
    Dana

2. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

Are you looking for production capacity or still in development?
    For small runs a college course on castings may be workable. I went to kent state and our casting course do do some castings for an outside customer.
    How large and heavy will these be?

3. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

Dana, don't know if this will help or not. This company has been involved with manufacturing everything from aeronautical parts to broad tips. I know they run CNC and most everything else. If they can't do it I'm sure they have the contacts. I don't know about wages out on the left coast but a lot of our shop are Union. Google them and you will find their web site. The lady that will answer is most likely Cindy. Good luck, Greg

Townsend Machine
    246 Sykesville Rd, Chesterfield, NJ 08515
    (609) 298-0400

4. Scootr

Scootr Farmall Cub

Dana
    I think you had contacted me at one point regarding this. Not sure if the company I work for will be off any help.

If it's any consolation, I have been working at an Iron foundry for the last 21-1/2 years. Based out in Oakland, California, roughly two blocks from the Oakland Coliseum. Granted, I'm not in the customer service side of things, I'm more of a grunt.

Here's a brief video link to the company I work for = AB&I foundry tour

Most of what we make is Iron Fittings and pipe for the plumbing industry. Along with making custom castings for companies such as Iron Grip, Haas Automation, Stoptech Brakes, just to name a few. We are actually starting to expand, in order to get involve in possible ductile iron castings

5. Dana Strong

He's done with the development and looking for a company to do production work. IIRC, the cleaned main casting weighs about #135 and with sprues and risers still attached, about #160. I think he has at least a few hundred people who've committed to buying the finished, machined product at what was determined to be a reasonable price. I doubt a JC, College, or University could or would be interested in getting involved with a project like this, but I also suppose, as a last resort, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks, Greg. From looking at the site, it appears it's just a machine shop, although I suppose they might have some leads on a suitable foundry, and if the casting were done at a foundry they use, it might make sense to have them do the finish machining. I know my friend already talked to some shops out here but was waiting for some production castings before putting more time and travel into deciding who to contract with.

Hello, again, Scootr;​

Yes, I told Terry about you and AP&I and he did check with the management. They thought these castings are too complex. Would have been neat if it had worked out, having someone from the area and from BP too. Terry also checked with Ridge in San Leandro, the only foundry in the area that was capable and interested, but their price is unworkable.
    I think some of the smaller parts will still be made at Lodi Iron Works where the development work was done and a successful casting poured before the only really technical person there left.

6. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Are you trying to stay with foundries on the left coast or ---

7. Dkminors

Dkminors Farmall Cub

8. Dana Strong

No, he's expecting he'll have better luck finding a capable one in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc. where the steel industry grew up, where more of that kind of work was originally done, and where some of the old smaller companies have adapted and still exist. I think he's checked with all the foundries out here, at least in California, and none is interested.

9. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Have you talked to jeff Ismail at IHPartsAmerica.com?

10. Dana Strong

Howdy, again Doc;
    Yes, I just did, at your suggestion. It's always interesting talking to Jeff, but he only worked with a foundry pouring aluminum down south long ago, and it isn't even there anymore. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. Scootr

Scootr Farmall Cub

Hi again Dana
    Just curious, was the P in AP&I a typo? Just to clarify, It's AB&I, which yrs ago used to be short for American Brass and Iron. In the 21+ yrs that I been there, we haven't done anything involving brass, but the name stuck.

Also, I may have a contact back east, who use to work with me yrs ago. Curious as to what exactly are the castings being made. You can PM that info if you like. I can contact my friend and see what other sources might be available out where he is located.
    Cheers
    Scooter

12. Dana Strong

Yes, that was a typo which I didn't notice. Maybe a Freudian slip too, as API (American Petroleum Institute) is familiar to me. BTW, my first casting, done on an old forge in the back yard, was a small brass anvil.
    I just checked my old mail, and confirmed that, in January of last year, I sent you a link to Terry's project. If you can't find it, I can send it again.
    My system is acting up right now, so I'll have to continue this later, after morning chores.

13. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You may want to talk to Frank Hughes, he has had some small production castings done and may be able to provide some assist.
    http://www.vintagefullflow.com/home.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. nicks1

nicks1 Farmall Cub

Maybe check out Travis iron works based out of Spokane Washington. It is a iron branch from Travis pattern which is also in spokane . I'm a millwright at Travis pattern. We do aluminum and brass, along with agricultural steel pressed parts. The company is very diverse in what they can do. They also make a lot of rubber.

15. Scootr

Scootr Farmall Cub

Ahhh. I did remember that email, as I recall the link you sent me. But it's been awhile since I've looked into it. I need to dig that up off my old PC at some point, but will be some time before I can get to it. If you have a chance, send me another email with the link so I can refresh my memory. And I can contact my friend back east to see if he knows of any other resources.