Heater temp?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Brandon A., Feb 1, 2014.

1. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Hi guys got my 1980 scout II and wanted more heat on the inside here in WI winters.

- So I did the heater core upgrade to the 2.5" wide core and it maybe got 2deg. warmer it was hard to tell. (Now I wish I would have had a thermometer gauge to check it with but I don't have one yet)
    - I also wired the heater motor up with a 30 amp relay to increase the air it moves and that helped push more air along with adding a bigger bird cage out of a bronco but still the temp the air isn't hot enough.
    -My thermostat is a 180deg. model so I put cardboard in front of the radiator and went down the road and it ran about 12 deg. warmer going down the road on the engine temp gauge at 192deg. Now I could feel an improvement in the temp but still not warm enough.

-I have done everything I know how to do and still i can put my hands on defroster vents at full heat and blower setting and they just get warm not hot like I want or need with poor circulation in my hands and feet. My celica will almost burn my hands when I do this so I was looking for something similar.

-Another thing I tried was using that bubble insulation and putting it inside the heater core box to help hold in heat from the heater core, I thought that might really increase temps coming from the heater core box but I barely noticed anything from this mod either????

-I seem to remember extreme heat coming from my dads 72 sscout while growing up but I have upgraded mine beyond that system and it still isnn't that warm?????

-Has anyone put a thermometer in the defroster vents to see how hot your scout blows heat or any other vehicle?????

-Any ideas???? I am out of them..... Thanks.....

2. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

You are dealing with a Scout II. They were never known for being fantastic heating vehicles. The temps in the area have been slightly above zero so you are doing good just getting heat.

Heating up your engine by putting cardboard in front of it is not a great idea. How weather tight is your cab? That is where you need to start.

3. Palmer

Palmer Farmall Cub

What kind of coolant flow do we get through the heater core? Mine hasn't been running during the cold months, but it looks like a pretty restrictive / low flow hose and fitting layout.

Maybe there is another port you could use to get more flow?

4. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

I agree a leaky cab will cause issues but mine is fairly tight at least from my drivers seat I can't feel any cold air coming in anywhere, just lookin for higher temps coming out the heat ducts.... Maybe I've hit my max......... Still curious to see what others get with a temp gauge in their defroster duct. I am gonna try and pick one up to test in all my rigs to compare...

5. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Put in a hotter thermostat, then start looking at the flow of water through the core. You likely have a hose with crud in it, one of the hose barbs blocked with rust, Ora heater core shut off valve that is blocked.
    If you pull the heater hoses off, clean the hose barbs out, and replace the hoses with new ones, and leaves out any valves, you should get much more flow.

6. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

I would go to a 195* thermostat. That helped a lot for my 800's and 1210's heater, and the engine and cooling system is just fine with it.

Another thing is to look at the heater and the OVERALL SYSTEM. Where does the air come from? Any missing ducting or flex connections or rotted ones. Do the dampers(flappers) work correctly?

One rig I owned was terrible for defrosting the windshield until the rotted flexible duct connection was replaced.

One reason newer cars seem hotter is often they recirculate the cabin air, and then you can bring in outside air via a separate damper. Most IH's when you move the damper (the lever that selects heat or defrost) to "turn on" the heater, they open the outside air at the onset as that is the main air supply to the system. There's not much recirculating cabin air.

Check the temp control valve that the cable for the temp control is attached to. Walkerscout brought a good point on restricted connections, or perhaps the cable control is not opening it all the way.

7. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

I was wondering the same thing if certain hose routing would increase the temps? I doubt anyone has ever looked into that one. Maybe someone who thinks their heater is rather warm could post where there heater core hoses are run from?

8. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Thanks for all the good ideas I'll have to look into them, I never checked the barbs for being plugged up. Its a possibility I guess.

9. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

the heater in my scout works real well but then temps dont drop to 0 here in socal. a higher temp t-stat would probably make a difference. i assume the bubble wrap you added to the core is around the edge not over the fins.
    the port that brings the hottest coolant to the heater core is the one on the passenger side of the intake next to the tvs tree. thats also the hose where the control valve goes and it should be routed to the lower port of the heater core, the upper hose from the core goes back to the water pump.
    if the control valve is rusted closed, its possible to move the leaver but not open the valve. napa has a nice pvc version that works very well. also you didnt mention if you opened the air leaver for both heat and defrost function. if not, you wont get much air.

oh... and the answer to whether anybody has ever looked into it..... you bet somebody did....

10. R290

R290 High Wheeler

Got to remember one thing! These engines were made in that climate.
    Look at how the tstat bypasses the radiator to re-send warm water back into the engine.

Mine blows hot. I did not measure the temp, but we were in the mountains and it was late about midnight and my feet had gotten wet from walking in the snow during the day. So I was using the heater to dry my socks.

I have the 1980 setup, which it a bit different,

I don't think it was zero degrees out either. But it was cold.

I added foiled insulation to my Scout, and added thick pads on the floor board, about 3/4" I think they are made of vinyl foam

11. Tucker H

Tucker H Farmall Cub

Not seeing the temps you are but I was driving around in single digits most of the night looking for trouble, and my terra was nice and toasty, well i have half the cab you do, but I have twice as many holes, since i can look all around the floor and see the outside ground, so a fix was three layers or rubber no slid mate from my dads work. The cab is nice and hot with heater on high 50/50 defrost/feet.

Maybe sealing off the rest of your cab is noone else is riding with you?

180F tstat

12. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Try running the fan on low instead of high,works much better in my scout.I think on high speed it pulls air through to fast to pick up heat.Last week I drove 200 miles,was -5 when I left and about 5+ when I arived.Most of the trip I had my coat off,it was nice and warm
    Jeff

13. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

I do agree that the heat seemed warmer on low vs. high mode. I still plan on putting thermometer in the defrost ducts to get an official reading.

Thanks guys!!

14. R290

R290 High Wheeler

The engine at 180 degrees is way hotter than your home furnace.

I assume you have some newer heater hoses. no crud inside the t-stat housing where the water comes out. ( notorious for being rusted up)

I would add some insulation to the heater hoses and around the heater box to keep the water hot.

Buying an IR gun is a great way to check for temperature.

15. Kurt_M

Kurt_M Farmall Cub

One place that is often overlooked is the seal around the heater core inside the heater box. Even just a very small space that cold air can escape and not go thru the core makes a huge difference in the air temp.

16. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

With my Traveltop that has a 180 T-stat, I'm able to get 120-130 degree air out of the defroster vents, depending on fan speed, with the outside temp is below freezing.

Is your heater valve opening fully? If it isn't adjusted properly or if it is plugged that can seriously reduce the heat output.

17. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

High guys I thought I would post results.

-I pulled the hose off at the output port on the intake manifold and checked for any blockage, ran a metal (flexible) fish rod down it and found no rust or blockage, so I don't think coolant flow is an issue.

- I do have a new modern plastic heater valve and it is adjusted properly.

-Finally if anyone is interested I bought a cooking thermometer at walmart (type that you stick into the meat) it has about a 1" dial and runs from temps low enough to check your air conditioning temp and heater temps.

-Temp here in Wi today around 0deg. Scout had 120 deg out of defrost vents (on the driver side) at idle which was starting to feel fairly warm but once going down the road it drops to around 115deg out the def. vent on high for both heat and speed. I would like to see 120 to 130 but not sure if that is gonna happen.

-The floor vents where about 10 deg colder on max. I can't remember the exact temp but they were colder than the defrost vents.

-So if anyone would like to test their vents you can find the thermometer at walmart for around $7.90 I plan on checking it in the rest of my familys cars to compare.

-THe only thing left to try is a 195deg thermosat and ride in the passenger side while someone else drives so I can check for leaks......

THanks guys....

18. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Bingo!
    I use new camper foam or window sealing foam tape and make sure my heater core has no air gap around it so all air passing thru the heater must go thru the core and not around it.
    My heaters can bake you out.
    I don't do any insulating on the outside of the box.

19. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Hi guys when we are talking about the air gap on the heater core are you refering to directly above and below the heater core inside the heater box. Typically there is a strip of rubber on top and the bottom of the heater core cushioning it and also sealing it off? Possibly I have some suction around the end caps for the heater core I can check that by running the fan and givng it the old Finger test!

20. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

You might want to pull you heater core and see if it is plugged with crud inside, or the fins are full of debris. Then take a look at your ducting to see where you are pulling air from. You may just have a bunch of debris on the duct, or your fresh air duct may be stuck open. Have you taken the temp at the inlet and outlet of your heater core? Also, where are your heater hoses tied into your engine. They need to be on opposite sides of the pressure system, so there is flow across them.