Heat tube that goes to air cleaner

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by robs, Feb 10, 2019 at 5:06 PM.

1. robs

robs Farmall Cub

The heat tube that goes to the air cleaner . Does it have an opening at the manifold or in that area I don't see? I don't have a shroud, but from looking at pictures it looks like all the shroud does is collect the warm air without actually connecting to a port or opening. I'm stumped.
    1978 Scout ll 304
    upload_2019-2-10_15-0-34.jpeg

2. INT77345

INT77345 Farmall Cub

bottom of the tube hooks in to a notch and the tube pulls air that is warmed by the exhaust manifold

there is no port or opening to the exhaust manifold

3. robs

robs Farmall Cub

Thank you! Do you think the shroud is worth looking into getting?

4. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

For an EFI conversion, no, as efi will compensate for ambient. For a carb, it depends on whether you want improved emissions and drivability. The stove will provide for Warmer intake air while engine is cold. This will allow carb to operate in a region it was designed for and get you closer to a proper a/f mixture. The vehicle will run better as well since it will not be likely to run lean from the more dense air.

If all you need is the manifold stove, buy a used one. Hook it up. If you don’t have the energy, then forget it. Especially if you only operate in warm ambients anyway. If you do use it, make sure the flapper valve at air cleaner is working correctly. It should divert intake air to the stove when cold. Many vacuum actuators no longer work. They dry up and diaphragm cracks. NOS ones are out there. But if that doesn’t work, then the stove will not work properly either.

skidder and jeff campbell like this.
  5. robs

robs Farmall Cub

Right now the highs here are in the 30's and 20's at night so I would benefit from that. And as far as having the energy, I've got a few good years left :)

jtorre4272 likes this.
  6. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

The part number is 376 482 C1 and the best price I see for one is here:
    http://www.shopisasih.com/merchant....e=isasih&Product_Code=376482C1&Category_Code=

It may not actually be in stock, so you'd need to check. They are stainless, but wouldn't be too difficult to make using a picture of one (and some paper or plastic sheet to do the design work with).
    A request in the Wanted forum might even have some success.

7. robs

robs Farmall Cub

Thank you so much !!! I'll call them tomorrow.

8. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

That's cheap if he has 1. I have a solid used 1 I'd sell for $ 60 shpd

9. robs

robs Farmall Cub

Thanks. I'll be checking tomorrow.

10. INT77345

INT77345 Farmall Cub

out of curiosity how does it drive cold now with out the stove ?

all my life in colorado i have had the stove and not had it and i cant tell any difference. i havent had one for the last 20 years. iv started and drove the scout in -30 with no problem.

if your having a problem maybe the stove will help or if your having ice form on your carb maybe it will help.
    but if your not experiencing any problems i would forget the stove and the pipe and drive on.

11. robs

robs Farmall Cub

It's strange how it happened. It was running fine. I was giving "ol'Blue" a spa day. New plugs, filters, oil change, etc. and after that it started stalling big time. I went through everything twice and then noticed that the heat tube from the exhaust manifold was only connected at the air cleaner and not on the other end. It was just hanging there. I'm thinking did I miss something all this time, so that's why I asked in a post. Plus if it is that it will save me time not having to check fuel lines, pump, etc. P.S. No vacuum leak. This afternoon I'm going to play around trying to hook it as you suggested in your first reply, before I order anything. I'll keep you posted.

12. Dana Strong

Did you forget to check the gap of the new plugs before installing? Could the distributor have gotten accidentally moved, changing timing?
    If there's nothing below, at the manifold, for the hose to connect to, how could it's hanging now be any different than before, meaning that didn't change...so I'd think the problem must be something else. Changing a fuel filter might have let something get into the carburetor, or it might just be a coincidence even, as to why now?
    Did you put in "new" gasoline just before the maintenance? Could it be crappy gas causing the problem?

Could you make a temporary "stove" out of stiff aluminum foil, perhaps the bottom of a large disposable rectangular pan like rolls and some other foods come in? I have some in the garage that measure something like 8 x 14" on the flat bottom.

13. robs

robs Farmall Cub

Checked the gaps, was really careful when changing the fuel filter, and gas was clean. Never thought about the Distributor, good idea because I could have bumped it. My thoughts on the tube was maybe it was hooked close enough before and now it's too far away. I like your idea about making a "stove" out of Aluminum Foil. I'm going to do that so it might be a day or two before I update. Really appreciate all the help from everyone.
    p.s. as to the why now (dang good question!) got really freakin cold this month so maybe that??

14. Dana Strong

Well, in Sunny Californica, it's been in the mid 30's at night. That used to occasionally happen and was considered normal, but now it's due to global warming. Have you heard, some Demons have proposed outlawing use of all fossil fuels, having no airplanes flying, stopping usage of all cars and trucks, rebuilding all houses... all to stop what is mostly due to changes happening at the Sun ...

15. 1975IH200

1975IH200 High Wheeler

Yes, I have heard that. They should join the Flat Earth Society.

16. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

Until I get the bugs out of cold fusion, I am working on fitting in the Pogue carburetor. The less fossil fuel the better.

robs likes this.
  17. Dana Strong

Is that a later version of something here:

18. INT77345

INT77345 Farmall Cub

when you replaced the plugs did you get the wires back on in the correct order ? maybe one or two wires are on the wrong cylinder.

yes i have kept up with all the global warming crazies and the totally nuts and unrealistic Green New Deal bill. completely and fully absurd. remember all who support such nonsense, they dont care at all about the environment, if they cared like they claim they would live differently. Bills like the Green New Deal, and people that support them, what they care about is power and money. they want your power and your money. they want to control everything while you have nothing.

19. robs

robs Farmall Cub

Fair question. Yes I was very careful.
    AND NO POLITICS PLEASE! Enough on other sites

20. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

164D1EC0-CBC9-431B-9608-898FBB057F52.png
    The thermostatic air cleaner system has several components. Manifold stove, heat tube, vacuum actuator, diverter flap (in the intake snorkel), thermostatic vacuum valve (in the air filter housing), and the vacuum lines. Don't overlook the thermostatic vacuum valve, as it is what controls the vacuum actuator and the diverter flap. During colder weather, the TAC does help a bit.