Harvester Homecoming Article

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by BinderBookie, Oct 24, 2019.

1. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

2. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Great article Jim !! Always an enjoyable and informative read when you fire up your typewriter :1eye:

scout2000 and jeff campbell like this.
  3. Scoutnap

Scoutnap Farmall Cub

Nice write up on homecoming Jim. It was a good event. Enjoyed listening to your talk about some of the trucks while there. Thanks for helping with the history of these great trucks and answering our questions.

jeff campbell likes this.
  4. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Great article Jim! I did have to take a second look at the FC501 pic. Probably the same frame as the one I saw in Phil's bone yard a couple of years ago? At that time, one of his helpers told me that it was the very first Scout 80 in production. So we found some sandpaper and we tried to see the stamping. Without luck. Guessing the stamping was a bit deeper then we looked!

5. BinderBookie

It's pretty faint and you have to shine a light just right to see it. I think it's been sanded 100 too many times over the years on top of the typical early 80 faint stamping and rust. The date code on the front axle is correct. The engine in it is a later engine, but the LST was marked that it got a different engine anyway (still not the one that's with it now). Coonrod sold the rear axle out of it years ago, which is a shame. I didn't see a number of the Warner Gear 3-speed. And I don't know at this minute how to decode them even if I did. Also, the paint on the one piece of sheet metal left matches what was on the LST.

oneof3k and jeff campbell like this.
  6. Odmark

Odmark Farmall Cub

Awesome article!

7. Scoutnap

Scoutnap Farmall Cub

what month is the print version going to be in?

8. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Could allways try repeatedly posting the engine serial number (and axle number) to all the forums just on the off chance you find it. Its a long shot, but stranger things have happened.

9. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

I have yet to hear from Ryan about how some of us can help next year. I know Mary and Carl are trying to rent out a hotel for us to use like at Nats. Plus they want to display some of our interesting rigs on the factory floor next time. I’m trying to get additional corporate sponsor interest too.

Last year’s binder planet dinner was a so so success. I may try again at HH depending on popularity. Ryan is gearing the event more towards a celebration of IH past employees and suppliers. I think it is less emphasis on the vehicles as much as it is on the people who
    made them. It’ll be interesting to see a combination of both in the future since Nats is every other year now. Since I don’t have a connection to Ft Wayne like others, I need a reason to be pulled into HH. My connection is the vehicles and the people of Nats, BP and lightline dealers like SSS, IHPA and AnythingScout. I hope it’s not just about Fort Wayne but also the people who keep interest in IH strong. Folks like you and I.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    winchested likes this.
  10. BinderBookie

I think it's going to be harder and harder in the IH world to have a "clubby" full-featured event. I'm assuming most of you grok the term "clubby." And I think you will also understand "full-featured" ... meaning more elaborate than a backyard Saturday event with a potluck. Even big events like Red Power, which is mostly tractors, are starting to condense because the numbers of people interested is aging and shrinking. Same thing is happening to the muscle car world, the Model A and Model T world and other "worlds." The "new crowd," whoever the hell they are, have different interests.

Not sure how many of the people who attend events like Nats or HH really understand the amount of work and money that goes into them. Measure the blood pressure and the sleep quality of a guy who organizes a big event near the time it happens. Especially if that person/company is bearing the brunt of the financial aspects and stands to lose money in a bad year. Take a minute to think about and appreciate that guy.

Yes, the Fort Wayne aspect is the stated purpose of Harvester Homecoming. But the vehicles follow along with the people and I wouldn't consider 500 or so IH rigs at the event an insignificant number... if it's vehicles you want to see. And some locally squirreled away stuff came out of the woodwork there that you might not have seen elsewhere. But the flavor is certainly different. Not nearly as "clubby" for vehicle collectors maybe (10-12,000 people will do that ( : < ), but certainly it is such for ex-employees. But is that bad, considering it's the fruits of their labor we now enjoy? I've heard dozens of stories from those who had vehicles on display where a person who actually helped design and build that vehicle came up to talk. Where else are you going to have that kind of experience? Yes, HH is going to have a lot of people from the FW area that really aren't enthusiasts in the way most of us are, but an event like HH is an opportunity to recruit a few to replace our shrinking numbers. I see an event like this as a draw for small "clubby" groups to meet and have a mini-event within the larger one. The "CVI Southwest Salsa Scout Owner's Association" shows up, arranges for an area to gather all their rigs together and they can be as clubby as they want, while exposing a huge crowd to the high class visage of a Southwest Salsa Special. I saw quite a number of little groups like that, even in the small amount of time I had to wander around.

jeff campbell likes this.
  11. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

I'm keeping an open mind, Jim. I don't like the fact that tech seminars will not be offered, but maybe they want to take a different approach with vendor stands instead. I am going to bend Ryan's ear on this to see if I can convince him otherwise. I think next year will be a good experiment to help prove some of your theories on the "clubby" aspects. I know several people who normally go to Nats will be heading to HH next year, and as you said, each subgroup could quite possibly find its spinoff niche. I hope this allows a little something for everyone to enjoy and call their own.

I think Ryan and his team have learned a ton since the first go around and mistakes have been corrected and continuous improvements are in the works. It's a thankless job where you can never make EVERYONE happy no matter how hard you try. But his heart is in the right place and like many of us, we appreciate all they have done for fort wayne by putting this event on.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  12. Ryan DuVall

Ryan DuVall Farmall Cub

Joe, thanks for keeping the faith in us! And as far as helping, I have reached out (heck, to you and thank you for offering a helping hand) and would love to hear from folks who want to help us out for sure!
    Mary and Carl have been great and we will have the normal gathering on Saturday after our public show at the site hotel. I am working on trying to obtain some BBQ for it as we speak!
    I wish you would have attended last year because you would realize there really is no room for tech forums given all we offer that no one else can:
    --Scouts inside the old plant
    -- Seeing the old plant and walking around while people who worked there share their stories (How is that for a tech forum?!)
    -- Access to the famed engineering center and walking through that "museum" (it basically is with equipment and items that were there for decades)
    -- Bus tours led by the people who built the trucks telling you everything that went on in the "Heavy-Duty Truck Capital of the World"
    -- THE PROVING GROUNDS ... 'nuf said (can't do that anywhere else!)
    -- Pieces from up to 8 museums; many which will blow everyone away given their uniqueness
    Yes, our event is a celebration of history as much as it is trucks, but the trucks do not take a backseat at all. They are the stars!!!!

13. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

Thanks for your positive and encouraging news, Ryan. I do look forward to participating next year in some way as I think you have something special. Gaining interest from enthusiasts across the country would be a true testament to how important this event is to the IH brand and its people.

I’ll take your word on it for tech session limitations. They have been hugely popular in the past and I wouldn't want you to miss out on an opportunity to attract even more people looking to improve their technical knowledge of IH. Just know we are there to support should you change your mind.

Better keep a spot for me in the plant!