Harshterrain.com knuckles?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Brandon A., Sep 28, 2020.

1. Brandon A.

Brandon A. High Wheeler

Hello has anyone bought parts from: harshterrain.com? I am looking at buying some dana 44 flat top knuckles for high steer project and they have some made out of steel vs. iron. Knuckles are a very important part so I don't want them to fail with abuse.....

Looking on google it says steel are actually stronger than iron knuckles but I am no expert......
    -https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2004-01-0628/#:~:text=A%20vehicle%20steering%20knuckle%20undergoes,its%20design%20and%20performance%20evaluation.&text=It%20is%20concluded%20that%20the,iron%20and%20cast%20aluminum%20knuckles.

-http://www.harshterrain.com/offroadproducts.php#top#!/Steering-Knuckles/c/13535157/offset=0&sort=normal

-https://www.ebay.com/itm/passenger-...197217?hash=item41d9c148e1:g:nE4AAOSwZVpcjTb1

Thanks!!!

2. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

Those guys sound like scammers to me!
    ALL DANA knuckles are indeed CAST STEEL!, NONE of them, OEM or Aftermarket are forged, 2wd spindles are forged.
    Your like of comparison is in NO! way specific to application, PERIOD!, grade 2 bolts are softer than grade 5 bolts and they are softer than grade 8 bolts, that's all that artical says about metal.
    You link to harsh terrain :uhh: the driver side knuckle is ALL DAY EVERY DAY! chevy parts, there's a MILLION of those out there, you're paying for the new ball joints, nothing more!, that "drum brake" knuckle is for a FORD, their "steel" knuckle is an off shore copy of the OE DANA knuckle, MOST of the aftermarket parts I've seen are of questionable quality?

I've been working on this crap all day every day for the last 18 years, I wouldn't waste my $ on that aftermarket crap.

3. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

Use the Chevy dana 44 knuckles. You need to find a disc brake chevy dana 44 from 1972-1977.

4. Brandon A.

Brandon A. High Wheeler

[Thanks for the info. I was worried they might be junk. I don't have experience to know in this area. I would like to buy a stock set of knuckles already machined drilled and tapped. Do you know a place I can call that could hook me up? I want a factory set with arm on them. The knuckles from parts Mike don't have an arm.....

QUOTE="WRENCH MAN, post: 1130034, member: 9176"]Those guys sound like scammers to me!
    ALL DANA knuckles are indeed CAST STEEL!, NONE of them, OEM or Aftermarket are forged, 2wd spindles are forged.
    Your like of comparison is in NO! way specific to application, PERIOD!, grade 2 bolts are softer than grade 5 bolts and they are softer than grade 8 bolts, that's all that artical says about metal.
    You link to harsh terrain :uhh: the driver side knuckle is ALL DAY EVERY DAY! chevy parts, there's a MILLION of those out there, you're paying for the new ball joints, nothing more!, that "drum brake" knuckle is for a FORD, their "steel" knuckle is an off shore copy of the OE DANA knuckle, MOST of the aftermarket parts I've seen are of questionable quality?

I've been working on this crap all day every day for the last 18 years, I wouldn't waste my $ on that aftermarket crap.[/QUOTE]

5. Brandon A.

Brandon A. High Wheeler

One more question I was under the impression GM Dana 44 knuckles worked from 1970 to 1990 with disk brakes on a scout axle? I need to get my years right if I have to hunt them down.... Thanks guys really appreciate it!!!!

QUOTE="72soa, post: 1130041, member:
    4078"]Use the Chevy dana 44 knuckles. You need to find a disc brake chevy dana 44 from 1972-1977.[/QUOTE]

6. Brandon A.

Brandon A. High Wheeler

Update: not having any luck finding junkyard (Passenger) flat top knuckle. Driver side is easy to find. After few days looking this is what I found.
    73-77 Chevy GM Dana 44 has Passenger flat top
    74-77 Full size jeep knuckles both have flat top...

Any other vehicles have passenger side flat top knuckle? Looks like aftermarket is only option left?

7. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

Those will work.

8. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

74/75 IH pickup and travelall have flat tops,73 might also.

9. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Y-steering is strong enough for most people, but the draglink tends to want to roll.

Mounting the tie rod to the hi-steer arms (instead of the knuckle) wears out the TREs quickly since they have to work harder.

Reids have nubs that stick out instead of steering stops that are designed to be ground down as needed. They could easily be drilled and tapped.

74/75 IH knuckles put the tie rod fairly low which makes me wonder it they would clear SUA. Chevy Reids I'm guessing would clear. They put the tie rod higher than stock chevys.

10. Brandon A.

Brandon A. High Wheeler

THanks for the info I see the Y setup all over. I just prefer a true crossover setup. But I may need the Y setup if I can't fit the arms where I need them....