Hamilton EFI with Ford EFI fuel pump.

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by java230, Jul 24, 2019.

1. java230

java230 Farmall Cub

Looking at swapping a Ford EFI Fuel tank into my Travelall, and going Hamilton. Ford fuel pressure spec is ~45psi, the GM TBI pump is ~14 psi max. Will the GM FPR be able to cope with the higher line pressure from the ford pump?

Tank in question https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/F1G1FA Ford 150 1990-96 with EFI.

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

Later FI Fords (mostly?) use multi-point injecton with higher pressures such as you reference, but earlier Fords, e.g. the 1986 Taurus w/ 2.5L engine, use the single-point throttle body and much lower pressure. The pumps should be interchangeable wrt mounting and wiring.

3. java230

java230 Farmall Cub

I am seeing key on running spec as 30-45, I think its a high pressure in tank pump.

4. Dana Strong

That is incorrect. The engine and year I cited, using CFI, requires 13 psi when KOEO tested, and something like 15 psi when running. Yes, the pump is mounted with the sender, attached to the tank surface via the circular disc, and is in-tank...but isn't high-pressure. The pumps can be removed from the assemblies, that is, exchanged w/o replacing the sender. I've done it.

5. Darrell Tuxworth

Darrell Tuxworth Binder Driver

The fuel pressure is controlled by the "now wait for it", Fuel pressure regulator not the pump. The GM FPR won't have to deal with any higher pressure than it is set to regulate.
    The only possible way (if everything is working correctly and no pinched lines) would be that the Ford in tank pump would supply more volume than the GM FPR could return to the tank. THEN there might be an issue with extra pressure but I really really doubt that is going to be an problem. The pump most of us use is a Ford frame mounted inline pump capable of over 100 psi but the GM FPR regulates it so the pressure is only 13-15 depending on how you set it.
    The in tank pumps are nice but for my Scout I prefer it to be accessible for replacement/troubleshooting. I had the pump die on top of a mountain pass on the highway here in Colorado, during a rainstorm no less with a full 33 gal tank. I was glad to just have it a 15 minute fix not trying to figure out how to drain all the gas, drop the skid plate then tank and replace the pump.....

The tank/pump you reference fits a pick-up sitting in my driveway and IIRC the fuel pressure is as you state 45-60 depending on condition, but still it's the FPR that sets the pressure.

Darrell

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    java230 likes this.
  6. java230

java230 Farmall Cub

Thanks, I was more worried the FPR was not going to be able to regulate a higher incoming pressure.
    Yes I know most like the frame mounted, but I like the in tank..... Definitely harder to deal with when it dies though.

7. Darrell Tuxworth

Darrell Tuxworth Binder Driver

Just for clarification the FPR won't deal with any higher pressure from the intank pump. The FPR SET'S the pressure not the pump.

Darrell

java230 likes this.
  8. Dana Strong

That may be true, but the different pumps do have different minimum/maximum and volume output specs., too. With most systems I'm familiar with, the pump runs as needed according to commands from the computer, not constantly, so it may be an academic question here, since/if Hamilton EFI works the same.
    FWIW, with the early Ford CFI, the regulator is part of the throttle body assembly; for the others, it's ahead of the fuel rails.

java230 likes this.
  9. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A simple read of the parts required FAQ should have answered this.
    The frame mounted pump I use and list is the E2000 from the 90's ford F250 and is capable of 90psi.
    I use it for TBI and MPFI.
    As Darrell stated, the pump only supplies the required fuel at the pressure specified by the regulator.

java230 likes this.