Guido's 1965 Powerstroke Diesel Scout 80

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by guidolyons, Jun 19, 2010.

1. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

IMG_2496.jpg IMG_2495.jpg IMG_2509.jpg IMG_2500.jpg IMG_2504.jpg This will be a long, slow build before it's complete. I've had my Scout since July 2006 and I've driven it 6 times...mostly on and off a trailer:censored:

I found my 1965 Scout in the local paper, (he wanted $700) I talked him down to $500... and so it began...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

152 4cyl, T-90 3 speed, Dana 20, and D27 axles...the usual.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PO had started working on it. He cut out the driver's side floor, then lost interest. I drove it into the garage sitting on the spare tire :stuart:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Ed P. and scout2000 like this.
  2. Chuck Most

Chuck Most Farmall Cub

Aside from the big ol' hole in the floor, she looks pretty solid! You almost never see Scouts that clean up here in the mitten-shaped state, unless they came from the south. This should be a pretty interesting buildup!:D

3. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2541.jpg IMG_2542.jpg IMG_2545.jpg IMG_2547.jpg I knew very little about the Scout 80 when I bought it, but found a lot of great information on the old Binder Bulletin (Now Binder Planet) and the Just IH websites. Thanks guys:punk:

This is the condensed version, for the long version I have a thread on JustIH: http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/showthread.php?t=7341

My initial plan was to fix the rust, fix the brakes, and get it running as a semi-daily driver/trail rig:whistling:

I figured I would start where the PO left off and start cutting out the rust:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drill out the spot welds and peel the panel off with the air chisel :hammer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

IMG_2803.jpg IMG_2804.jpg IMG_2808.jpg IMG_3048-1.jpg IMG_3042.jpg Oh there was a lot more rust...I just hadn't found it yet:censored:

So then I cut up a sheet of 12 ga. diamond tread floor plate for the bed, and to cure the bottom of the rusted out fenders at the same time. I scored a line where I wanted the bend, then made a giant sheetmetal brake to bend it. It took a lot of jumping and cussin' :taz: to get it bent (even after scoring it), but I managed:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I made a smaller sheetmetal brake and bent up some c-channel to replace the rusted out pieces that go down each side of the bed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jgbrannan likes this.
  5. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

While I had the bed out, I figured I should address the mid-body mounts. I had seen a lot of pictures of bent and broken mounts, so I boxed them and an added some strength. I found out later when I re-did the body bushings that although my mid-body frame mounts were good, the sheetmetal boxes on the body were barely attached:oops: must have been built on a Friday or a Monday:stuart:

(sorry, cell phone pics, my digital camera was MIA)

Driver's side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I gave the frame and crossmembers a nice coat of POR-15.:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    jgbrannan likes this.
  6. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

After I welded new channel on both sides, I slid the bed insert in and welded it up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I had been working on the bed, I had a local radiator shop clean up my tanks and pressure test them. The driver's side was good, but the passenger side tank need a few holes filled in. The mounting straps were badly rusted, and I noticed a common mending plate from the local harware store had the correct spacing on the holes, so I welded in some Tee-Nuts and reinforced/rebuilt the mounting straps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[Safety Officer]SAFETY ALERT! These tanks had been washed, cleaned, boiled, pressure tested and there was NO GAS/NO FUMES/NO RESIDUE in them. Please don't blow yourself up welding on a gas tank. IF you do weld on a gas tank, make sure to thoroughly flush it with lots of water (use Dawn to help break down the residual gas) and purge the tank with Argon/CO2 welding shielding gas or use dry ice (CO2)... Thanks... [Safety Officer]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  7. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Once I had the tanks cleaned up, I wiped them down with Ospho (rust killing phosphoric acid wash) and gave them a coat of POR-15:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somewhere around August 2007 I stumbled across a set of axles from a 3/4 ton Chevy. 8 lug 10 bolt front and 14 bolt rear...:tank: The Scout project just took a sharp right turn and veered off the cliff into the abyss:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. kemosabe

kemosabe Farmall Cub

Wow- looks good so far, I have a '65 Red carpet edition that I can't figure out where to start...this will give me a direction to head- Keep it going...
    Dan

9. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Well, apparently, mine was a Champagne series, but I've never ordered the LST to find out. I wasn't going to restore it if it was anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Before I stuffed the 14BFF under there, I shaved off the lip and ground the bottom smooth. Not as aggressive as some guys doing a shave, but it gains ~ 3/4" of clearance and makes the bottom smoother so it doesn't get snagged.
    My kind of mod...FREE and EASY.:beer:
    (sorry, cell phone pics, camera was still MIA)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I ordered up some spring perches, shackle hangers and spring mounts from Dan at Ruff Stuff Specialties :beer:http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/index.php

With tape measure in hand, I hit the junkyard until I found some leaf springs that would put my axles where I wanted them. In the back, Ford Bronco II springs (56" long 26"/30" 4" center pin offset I added Ford Ranger springs later to make a bastard spring pack) 2.5" wide spring (3" wide with bushings) which made a perfect fit to build spring hangers right off the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  10. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

I made the spring hangers for the front of the rear springs, but used Ruff Stuff pieces for the rest... Dan makes awesome, beefy stuff, reasonably priced, and ships quick and easy, you'd be amazed what he can stuff in a USPS flat rate box :D

Everything is just tacked in at this point, it took me three tries to get the rear shackle angle where I wanted it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I started on the front:

Shackle reversal with Chevy 52" leaf springs (26"/26" centered pin) also 2.5" wide spring (3" w/ bushings).

Measure twice cut once! :oops: I almost made a mistake here:
    Uggh look at all the junk in the frame. I even found a fossilized mouse skeleton when I was vacuuming out the junk in the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Initially was was going to build a bumper further out, so I had the slope of the spring hangers facing forward. Once I realized I wouldn't need to do that to fit the Chevy springs, I turned them around. I extended the frame ~ 5", then built a bumper out of 2x4x.188 (3/16") rect tubing.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  11. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

I ended up making these shackles another inch longer, so the spring eye would clear the frame. My first set was too short.

Full droop:
    [​IMG]

Front bumper:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

March 2008:
    :punk:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Once I was satisfied with my shackle angle I burned it all in for good:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I started my Power Steering upgrade:punk:
    Steering column from '87 Chevy truck, PS box and pump from a '95 K2500 Chevy (IFS box mounts inside frame)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

PS conversion, continued:

Steering column through the firewall:
    [​IMG]

Mounted another waterpump pulley so now I have a second pulley to run the PS pump:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started building a custom bracket for the PS pump off the waterpump bolts:
    [​IMG]

I tapped holes all the way through the boss in the block which required a bolt with long threads to hold the waterpump neck and have enough threads to mount the bracket. I initially used some hardware store cheapo grade2 bolts, but later replaced them with some grade B7 all-thread.

Checking pulley alignment:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

[​IMG]

Checking belt length:
    [​IMG]

Not sure why the pulley looks crooked in this pic :confused: but it was dead on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

For my Power Steering conversion, I used the steering column from a '87 Chevy truck, and the PS pump and PS box from a '95 Chevy K2500 (IFS box mounts inside the frame) along with a drop pitman arm for a late 70's Jeep Wagoneer and high steer arms from Ballistic Fab.

Started mounting up the power steering box:

[​IMG]

The nuts are just spacers to keep the round part of the box off the frame. I drilled through the frame and sleeved it with some 1/2" tubing where the bolts go through the frame. :yes:
    [​IMG]

Stuck it in just behind the grille, fits just right. Clears the crossmember and just peeks out under the grille. It's protected by the bumper and doesn't hang down to get bashed on rocks either :rockon:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Drop pitman arm clears the stock crossmember:

[​IMG]

Crossover high steer:

Passenger steering arm: (The 4th hole is for the 4 stud Reid Racing knuckles) 3 is the stock style.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger side looking back to the steering box along the drag link:
    [​IMG]

Pitman arm looking toward the passenger side:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

I replaced all the body bushings with these:
    Energy Suspension CJ5-CJ7 body mount bushings PN 2.4101G

[​IMG]

There are 9 body mount bushings. 4 along the rear crossmember, 2 mid-mount by the gas tanks, 2 under the driver/pass floor, and one long flat one under the radiator. I got 2 boxes because I used 2 per mount (1 under and 1 over the mount like a sammich) and I wasn't sure If I wanted to add another on top for a slight body lift. 1 box is plenty, but they are cheap so I bought extra.

The I re-did the entire brake system with a hot rod kit from Inline Tube
    and a brake master cylinder from a '79 Grand Marquis (4 wheel disc brakes)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabbed up a rear bumper (you can see the new rear calipers)

[​IMG]

Got new belts and hoses:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Don't think I work this fast. This is a 2 year period between July 2006 and July 2008. I was away for work quite a bit, so I didn't get to work in the Scout every weekend. Only as time and money allowed.

After 2 years of work, I got to drive the Scout for the second time. This time, it was out of the garage and onto the trailer. I was transferred to FT Leavenworth, KS.

[​IMG]

My wonderful wife found us a place out in the country...

A 1,000 SF apartment, with a 2,400 SF GARAGE (I shared with the owner):rockon:

[​IMG]

This is less than 1/2 of the garage:rockon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for part 2:tank:

Attached Files:

David Taillon likes this.
  19. db1115

db1115 High Wheeler

Awesome build...I love it...very nice work!

20. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

My stock throttle linkage was all worn out, so when I snagged the steering parts I also got the gas pedal from the same '87. Then I got a universal Spectre throttle cable kit ($25 @ Pep Boys, Vato Zone, etc) made a bracket and swapped my stock throttle linkage for a cable (Thanks for the idea M.Mayben's Dawg Hauler thread IIRC)

You can also see the ball valve I installed to cut off coolant flow to the heater core.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had always had an engine swap planned for the future, when the 152 died. I had built the Scout so far with the 152 in mind, I had 4.10 gears and 32" baby Swampers so I could drive it with the 4cyl. Unfortunately, although the 152 ran, it had horrible blow by, low compression, and had a lot of gas in the oil (from worn rings or leaking fuel pump, not sure). I had been keeping an eye out for a 4BT to swap, but had no luck locating a step van or engine by itself for a reasonable price.

It's a rare occurrence when the trifecta of time, money, and motivation coincide. While cruising Craigslist looking for parts, I found a wrecked 1996 F250 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel with a ZF-5S47 for $2,000. The wheels started turning... Thanks to a tax refund from Uncle Sugar, I had the time, money, motivation, and a GREAT SHOP.

I had no idea how BIG a 7.3L PSD was, so after taking some measurements of the Scout's engine bay, I went to look at the '96 F250. :tank:

I figured if the guys at 4 Wheel and Off-Road could cram a 5.9L Cummins 6BTA into a Wrangler, I could cram a 7.3L PSD into a baby Scout.

I've never been a Ford guy, but I'm keeping it in the family. At least it's a INTERNATIONAL Diesel. It says International on the valve cover:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010