Green Diamond Engine Thread

Discussion in 'IHC Military Vehicles' started by Colin Rush, Feb 23, 2011.

1. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

I sent him the info I collected for my Military M-2-4 which has A green diamond engine.
    When I get my Arizona move done I will take a look at the two books I have to see if they will work for him

2. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

3. 1942m24

1942m24 Farmall Cub

I'm going to do engine swap on my 1944 m-2-4, I'm looking to swap it with silver diamond 220, the sd220 has a transmission attached to it . wanted to know if it will all bolt up to my 1944 m-2-4 engine and transmission or should i use my old transmission that bolted up to my green diamond? any help greatly appreciated.(DAVE) thanks jj

4. 3Ds

3Ds Farmall Cub

The difference between a 214 and 233 is the stroke.

The only parts not interchangeable between these engines are the crank, pistons and head.
    I'm not sure what the difference between the heads are but they are different part numbers.
    Also the 233 crank has a damper on it.

Cheers,
    Brad

5. Yogi

Yogi Farmall Cub

Is there a trick to installing the cotton sock type filter in the filter canister? It is a real tight fit out of the box. Any tips are appreciated.

Carl

6. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

I have no problem getting a filter in. I oiled it!

7. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

I have found there are outside diameter differences between brands. Some as much an 1/8". Even the ones that really are 4" are really tight. Look for Baldwin filters, they seem be the best for size. A smooth surface on the inside of the cannister,(I used emery cloth on mine), and the 4" filter sock wetted with oil helps a lot.

8. Dave K.

Dave K. Farmall Cub

It would be interesting to know if there were any differences in the castings for the engines that took the larger 12V generator like my M-1-4.

9. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

Yep the block was reinforced for the big generator.

10. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

Here is a question if you have a parts book for the M1 and M2 look at the last M1's serial number with the small motor then the first serial number when they went to the big motor (233).
    Now look at the beginning serial numbers for the different parts used by M1's with the 12 volt parts.
    Most people do not know that they had a double pulley on the 55 Amp truck generator and those trucks went from the 18 slot hood and round front fenders to the 20 slot lengthened hood with slightly flattened fenders to extend them. Ever ran into a hood you just could not get to fit. Also look at how the radiator is mounted to the cross member front or rear? You cant just bolt a 12 volt generator on a 6 volt truck. Well you can but.... Checkout an early 6 volt dash whats different?
    Isn't collecting these trucks fun?

:):):)

11. Dave K.

Dave K. Farmall Cub

Interesting information from everyone--thanks. It would also be interesting to take some pics of the different components and blocks referenced here--I'll snap some photos of my engine block when I get back from this trip. I recall the stamping being 233C-553 or similar. The larger 12V generator was fitted when I bought it. Unfortunately the gen shops I've taken it to have considered the potting on the coils too difficult to re-pot? And I don't consider it reliable or safe in it's present state. As a result I've gone to an alternator to do the job and wired external to the repro harness.

12. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

I think there is a company that will install a modern alternator in yoor original case.

13. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

On second thought maybe you should try another shop! I used a small local shop in California and nothing worried him when I brought him two generators.
    Any way
    Colin Rush says try
    http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/

Here's the outfit I used in California.

Unit 2 Oxnard Cal. 11059 Azahar st. 93004 Mike
    805 659-4610

14. Turbodad

Turbodad Farmall Cub

Need a little help finding an engine number location. I just picked up what was advertised as a 1940 D-3 Pickup, but the Vin # does not match the serial # on the data plate on the left side of the firewall. The # begins with GRD214xxxxxxx which makes me think it is the engine # which I can not locate on this engine. It was a farm truck all it's life and the serial # makes me think it might be as early as 1937.
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve
    Battle ground, WA.

15. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

Very common in Washington state for trucks well into the 50's to be titled under the engine serial number rather than the frame or data plate VIN. Of course the theory was that if you swapped out the engine you were supposed to report that to DOL and have the new number listed but basically nobody did that.
    Case in point is the L160 my dad bought in the mid 60's. I remember him upgrading the engine from the original SD240 to a BD264 in the early 70's. Did he go report the change? Of course not, and now I have a truck that has been in the family for decades with a title number that matches nothing anymore. :no:
    Good luck on yours.
    George

16. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

Standing in front of the truck on the front top edge of the right side of the block just below the head parting line.
    In Washington just go down to the Washington state Patrol they can easily fix both yours and Georges issue all you have to do is fill out an affidavit stating the facts and they will put a new tag and vin number plate on your truck.
    http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/vinspect.htm

17. George Yingst

Yes they will and unless its changed, they will also relieve you of a $50 inspection fee as well.

18. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

I guess its a toss up on whether or not its important to have correct paperwork. If you plan on putting a bunch of time and money into a vehicle it would be best to know its history and that its paperwork is not fraudulent. I know of only one time in the many years of collecting old trucks an altered or in this case missing VIN bit someone in the Keester. Its really not a big deal with an old truck. Piece of mind to some though is worth its weight in gold. I have trucks with 7 letter Vin numbers and trailers with more or less and I prefer the CHP here in California examine the paperwork I have and put a 17 digit Vin on there nice brass tag that gets riveted on by them and verified at the same time. undisputable ownership record from that point on.

19. George Yingst

As you say Dave, its a matter of whether the numbers match really matters. In my case I don't really care as even if it did become an issue they would end up putting a new VIN on it at that point.
    I guess california has it better in that respect as washington will put a cheesy aluminized decal VIN sticker on it that looks like it came out of a cracker jack box in my opinion.
    Speaking of trailers, I just picked up a 1937 American Machine Works trailer that was made right here in Spokane, Wa. with a clear title and a 3 digit VIN. I love it!:)
    I think I've hijacked this thread enough now. Good luck Steve.

20. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

Hi George...
    I think on old trucks the vin numbers are a joke speacilty on Military vehicles.
    Let's put that into perspective.
    On eBay you can buy vin plates brand new for almost anything stamp it With the number you find on the frame and your done. Don't find a number on the frame stamp that as well. Makes you wonder about the plates on vehicles when you find them and the are not all faded and are readable.
    Not a lot of people getting rich off of this old iron.
    I have seen many military and civilian Jeep, Dodge and International trucks with brand spanking new data plates.
    It's not a big deal.
    Steve did you find the number on the motor?