Goodbye EB Hello SII

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Schloer2, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Schloer2

Schloer2 Farmall Cub

Got an offer I couldn't refuse on my 76 Bronco so it left the stable on Wednesday and today I drug home a 75 Scout II to fill the void. The Scout is a 345/727 and runs/drives but will need a lot of TLC as expected for $2k. First on the list:
    -complete rewire (came with ez-wire 21 circuit kit new in box)
    -suspension: leaf springs are shot - not sure if I am going back stock or adding a spring lift
    -front cab mount rust repair needed
    -brakes: has new master cylinder, lines, wearables, and rear drums, but still very little stopping lower (booster maybe)
    -install roll bar and seat belts

Then it will be on to the cosmetics.

Look forward to learning from you all.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    CoopVA likes this.
  2. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

I think you got a good deal!

3. INT77345

INT77345 Farmall Cub

that looks like a really good scout !! especially for 2 K

4. Schloer2

Schloer2 Farmall Cub

Thanks guys. I felt like it was a good enough price to not haggle and go ahead and load it on the trailer. Probably shows better in the pics than it really is. Was exhausted after the drive today but will dig into it tomorrow and see what I am really dealing with.

I am excited to tackle the electrical...will be my first major wiring effort so I hope the Ez-wire kit is decent.

5. Schloer2

Schloer2 Farmall Cub

After power washing and polishing a few test spots, the body isn't as nice as I hoped. Panels are wavy and dented and the paint has no luster and plenty of chips. Was hoping to focus on the electrical and undercarriage and live with the exterior for now...

Did get the roll bar in and found the grill pieces (headlight bezels will need some restoration).

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You're in a good location, there are quite a few Scout people in your neck of the woods and your very own local Light Line (IH Scout and light truck parts) dealer, Roedel Bros. Jason Roedel is a good guy to get to know, he has a lot of Scout experience as well as a huge garage full of parts. That Scout looks to me like you got a good deal, what kind of EB would you have been able to snag for $2000? I think you'll like the Scout, it's more stable than the EB and to me just feels stronger, but taste is a personal thing. Down below in the 'club' section look for Bi-State Binders, it's people from mainly your area of MO and IL. As for the brakes, just hit the main Tech forum here when you have a few minutes and do some reading, one thing that's worthwhile is hydroboost brakes. I haven't done it it yet on mine, but if you want 'brakes right now' that's the way to go. There is also a Fuel Injection forum if you get the itch to modernize a little and put a GM throttle body system on your IH engine, lots of guys have done and Bill USN-1 has it about down to a science. Welcome to the fold, and feel free to ask any questions you might have!

7. 76-scout-MATT

76-scout-MATT High Wheeler

wow great scout ... miles ahead of mine at the start .... I have not done wiring on my rig yet .. still works pretty good ... but when i did my research one thing popped up in conversation quite a bit ..... get the painless kit wiring instructions ... they will help fill in gaps that the ez wire may be lacking ... and you wont find a better group of guys to ask questions of than this group .... would have dynamited my truck long ago without them

8. Schloer2

Schloer2 Farmall Cub

Dennis - thanks for the tip on Roedel. Very close to home and should be a great resource and save me a ton on shipping!

Matt - I will definitely get the painless instructions. The ez kit seems rather lacking in that department

9. customtronic

customtronic Farmall Cub

As already stated, I think you got a great deal at $2k! Welcome to the club. Tons and tons of great info here. Congrats on a great looking Scout!