Glass fuel filter: good or bad?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Dave_STL, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Dave_STL

Dave_STL Farmall Cub

I've got one in the stock location (after pump, before carb) and just installed another one before the pump on the pass side inner fender. I like the idea of seeing if I'm getting gas before and after the pump and I like the replaceable elements but now the idea of a glass tube so close to the exhaust manifold is making me nervous.... anyone had one of these break or otherwise spew gas everywhere?
    Dave

2. sully0812

sully0812 High Wheeler

There was a thread about this a while back.

I run one in the stock location, and havenever had a problem. (you just have to make sure the filter itself is screwed tight, otherwise it will leak), but I recall someone having a horror story about the Scout burning to the ground.

I like being able to see the element,and I've never had an issue with it yet. Short of it getting pushed into the fan abnd breaking, I have a hard time seeing how it could break. (And if it's getting pushed into the fan, chances are, that's the least of my worries at that point.)

3. Wheeled Scout

Wheeled Scout Binder Driver

The cheapy glass filters suck, the element does not catch small bits. My glass filter had plenty of garbage in it, when I removed the top of the carb it too had plenty of garbage in it. I then added a plastic filter near the tank and one after the pump. Run a clear plastic filter if you want to see what is going on.

4. Dave_STL

Dave_STL Farmall Cub

Sully0812- Cool, It reassures me that you're running one and You haven't exploded
    :D

Wheeled Scout- If by cheapy you mean the "Spectre" brand that comes with plastic fittings for different size hose that Auto Zone sells for $9.99 then I guess I'm O.K. because I would never skimp on such an important and potentially dangerous part.

O.K., yes I did, twice.... :D

5. REF

REF Farmall Cub

I have had 4 of the glass filters crap out on me in a short time---always when I really didn't want them to. I do not think they can handle any kind of aftermarket fuel pump. I dislike them very much.

REF

6. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

My glass filter cracked

Put a glass filter on my just purchased 1210 pickup. We drove 3 miles to a restauraunt. Smelled gas when we parked it. Found a large puddle of gas on the intake maniford and crack that ran the entire length of the glass cylinder. Very lucky that it did not catch fire.

We let it sit and ate our meal. Then called my daughter to bring me home for tools and a metal filter. She thoroughly enjoyed rescuing dad.

Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) = 3 Miles :rolleyes:

7. Dave_STL

Dave_STL Farmall Cub

Hmmmm...

1 good, 3 bad.... It's not looking good, folks:(
    Dave

8. sully0812

sully0812 High Wheeler

How did they crap out? Break? leak? I've had to tighten mine (tighten the metal ends around the glass cylinder and element) once when it started leaking, but that's the only problem I've had.

I'm using the stock pump though.

I can't remember what brand mine was, it came from Autozone, and came with two replacement elements.

9. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

I use metal canisters for fuel filters made by wix or fram etc. no glass or plastic for me.
    never mind leakage, the glass can break from a fan belt shredding and striking it. plastic can melt from an engine fire, which will add more fuel to the existing fire.

10. Throttle_Jockey

Throttle_Jockey Farmall Cub

I've never used glass for the same reason John says. If you want to know if fuel is getting to the carb you can always just pinch the line to see if there is pressure from fuel.

11. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Here's the horror story

I think the horror story mentioned was Scott Hattery's. It was actually only a semi-horror story, because his glass filter went as they backed the truck out of his garage. It caught fire- luckily he had an extinguisher real handy, but he had to rewire his engine compartment afterwards. If he had been on the road, it would have probably been all over. If anyone on here has seen Scott's Scout II (has won or placed very well at Nats the last three years at least) you would know what a disaster that would have been.

12. Baradium

Baradium Lives in an IH Dealership

I personally think that every scout should have a fire extinquisher in it. Better safe than sorry.

Of course I also carry a full first aid kit (let just say I'm working on completely filling a 30MM ammo can with first air stuff), a floor jack, 4 ton come along, 12,000 lb tow rope, a lot of tools....

Better prepared than sorry...

I run a 4" or so diameter metal filter right after the tank (no in tank filtration), this filter has the 5/8" fittings and was the largest I found on the shelf. I then run a smaller 2" diameter metal filter on the fenderwell before the pump and a clear plastic filter in the stock location.

I like being able to see the fuel actually flowing... has helped me diagnose problems that pinching a fuel line wouldn't have helped me with.

13. graedin

graedin Farmall Cub

Never had a problem with my glass filter. I mounted it in the stock location, and it has never leaked. I would just make sure you clip a 1/2" of the hose on both sides of the filter so the hose isn't as likely to crack from age. New hoses are always good too. But as for the filter, mine was a "Profuel" brand, and I found it to be handy and handsome.:)

14. IHLeadvagas

IHLeadvagas Farmall Cub

Fuel filters

To filter or fry.....that is the question. I like the old Mr. Gasket glass filters, but they haven't been available for years. If you off road at all I wouldn't use any glass filter. I use a Wix spin on filter and just bush the inlet and outlet fittings to the needed size. If you want to spend the bucks on the coolest fuel filter, find an aviation yard and get a Cuno reed type filter. No element to replace, just rotate the reed spindle every 6 months or so, then clean out the filter can and away you go.:D