Gears and Aussie Locker Install

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by 235frog, Apr 9, 2008.

1. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

Well, I was debating putting this in since the project isn't done yet. I started off with trying to get some 35x13.5x15 tires to fit on my 1973 Scout II. It has a 345 and 727, Dana 44's front and rear, a 3-4" Superlift, with 5" eye to eye shackles, and a 1" bodylift. After lots of searching to see how other have trimmed their fenders I decided that I would talk out the grinder, sawzall and a jigsaw as well and went to town.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Then once I got the tires on.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The next hurdle to overcome was the fact that I had 35" tires and 3.31 gears in my axles.:wheelchair:

2. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

After looking and searching around all over the BB and over on pirate4x4, I decided to go with Aussie lockers front and rear with 4.56 gears. This isn't a daily driver and I figure since I don't have to worry about it being horrible to drive around, this also gives me some leeway to move up to a 36" tire w/o having to regear.
    So, after finally getting a buddy to free up his driveway, (unfortunately I have a garage that exits into an alley so I can't have my Scout on jackstands in case someone has to get by), we start tearing into the front axle.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

I know that a case spreader works better, but some of us just make do with what we have. :whistling:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

Well the carrier is out, and the housing is cleaned up.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I never thought that I would see my scout looking like this. Its a cool feeling but the truck looks kind of pathetic when it is missing so much.:(
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Another sad thing is finding that once you tear everything apart you can find even MORE things that are worn out on your scout. The tie rod ends were shot on not the drag link, but the.... whatever you call it the steering rod:confused: And new brake pads, which wasn't too big a surprise, but just makes another thing that I have to go to the parts store for.

4. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

Since we have the carrier out, I started working on getting the carrier cleaned up, the spider gears out and the aussie locker in. :punk:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Putting the springs into the locker. The gap that you see between the 2 halves is one of the measurements that you have to check to make sure it fits properly.

[​IMG]

5. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

Heck this is going so well and we have plenty of daylight left we decided to knock out the front AND rear in the same afternoon.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

This was the first time that I have taken apart an axle and was surprised at how much easier it was to tear down the rear axle compared to the front.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Everything seems like it is just going along smooth as can be. Only two trips to the parts store fore more brakekleen to clean the housings, get the new brake pads, and decide to get some 1 ton tre's to go with the new steering rod that is going to get fabbed up. :gunsmilie:

6. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

About this time we found this:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Now this is the thrust washer that goes in the carrier behind the side gears. This is also the piece that you are supposed to reuse with the aussie locker. Unfortunately it was about 5pm on saturday and all the shops that carried them were closed. :censored:
    So we started making calls to anyone we knew that had a 44 carrier laying around that might have a pair of thrust washers in good shape. I would recommend to anyone considering the aussie locker to make sure you get some new thrust washers before the install. Out of 3 carriers we had on hand only 2 of the 6 washers were in decent enough shape to reuse.
    We decided at this point to just start wrapping up the front end and hope someone calls us back. This is my buddy with his "bearing press" :whistling:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

So this all happened saturday this past weekend. After a couple of calls from the wife wondering why it is pitch black outside, I cancelled our dinner date plans, and why in the ^%$*:censored: was I calling to get picked up since the Scout isn't getting back together.
    We start rushing to at least have the front end looking like it is done before my wife arrives.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

We can't find the threaded bungs to do the steering rod so we just throw the old one on for appearances.
    Then on top of all the good news that I have been finding out, I realize the front driveshaft binds at full droop. :censored: We talk some more and finally conclude that I will have to do a cut and turn to fix the pinion driveline angles. Yes I have the shims, but they work for caster or a little on the pinion angle but not both. :censored: Well, since I have now resigned myself that I will need a cut and turn, I might as well pick up some stock springs and go SOA at the same time. While that is a pleasing thought, I was hoping to get by with just the SUA for the summer. Oh well, more fun for me. So my wife picked me up and my scout is still on jackstands at my friends house with just the front done. I have laser eye surgery tomorrow so, its going to be sitting for a few more days until I can button it up and tell you how the locker/gears work out.
    This is what the scout looked like when I got it last year, w/ not-case and hadn't run in a couple of years, before I had to replace the; distributor, front shocks, gas tank, fuel lines, and carb, and a bunch more stuff.

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. Derek

Derek Farmall Cub

Pete, that looks great! Glad to see that you're tearing that pig up. Good choices for the mods too. Let us know the end result.

9. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

Well, its a little later than when I thought I would be buttoning up the rear end, but after having to get the new thrust washers, it seemed as if one of the axle shaft bearings was slightly out of round because it didn't want to go back in the axle tube. After a trip to Border Parts and getting a new bearing and seal pressed on the rest was a breeze.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Drove it around for a bit, and like everyone says there is some clicking from the aussie locker. With the new 4.56 gears the Scout is like a completely different truck. It actually seems to be working in its power curve. It goes around town on the 35's just great! :punk: On the freeway it is up at about 3000 rpm to go 60-65ish. Kind of hard to tell since the speedo needs to be re-calibrated. Hopefully I will have a chance to take it offroad and test out the lockers. To be continued....