Gas pedal assembly upgrade

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Hutch, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

I finally got tired of the play and uncertainty in my gas pedal assembly so spent a few bucks and a little time upgrading it today. I've heard a couple other folks mention this problem so here's what I did...

Remove old pin and plastic bushings along with the single snap ring. I'm not sure if this is the OEM setup, but it's what I had in there. This set up allowed a ton of side to side movement in the pedal, and subsequently, the pin would work its way out towards the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Here is what I used to fix it. Ended up only using one washer:
    [​IMG]

Having previously re-enforced the pedal itself, I found the fit to be perfect.

[​IMG]

No more side to side movement, and I feel better about the cotter pin holding it all together. I wish I had enough room to put the other washer before the cotter pin, but I'm not really concerned.

Materials:
    1 - 3/16" x 2 1/2" (?I'll have to check that?) single hole clevis pin $0.85 ea.
    1 - small cotter pin $0.11 ea.
    2 - 3/16" ID x 1/4" OD x 1/2" long Brass bushings w/ flanges $2.45 ea.
    1 - 3/16" flat washer $0.05 ea.

All puchasesd at ACE Hardware for a grand total of $5.91
    Woo Hoo!

2. Will Marsh

Will Marsh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice repair.

FWIW, the pin is supposed to be welded into the pedal assembly. The fact that it had broken loose accounted for the side play in yours. Did you address any wear/slop in the hole in the pedal arm where the pin goes through? If not I'd guess the arm itself will wear quickly at the point it contacts the pin since it isn't designed to pivot on the pin.

HTH,

Will Marsh

3. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Hmmmm, That explains the condition of the original pin, some deep pits and scoring. No sign of a weld beyond that though. Except for the extra metal on the pedal arm, I didn't do anything to address the hole in the arm wallowing out. Knowing now that it isn't meant to pivot, I will eventually get some thin plastic bushings to prevent that from happening. There is very little (if any) play in it now because of the flange and washer against the arm. Thanks for the info.

4. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

my pedal was cracked and barley pushed down. the weld was also broke. i took it off and sandblasted the bent part where the pin goes, my buddy welded the crack and the pin in, then welded a 1/4 piece of round stock to the back.....staight and solid! :D especially with the quarter mile long throttle cable of the diesel there's alot of effort and stress on there.

5. willy

willy Binder Driver

Hutch! nice little fix. good job! I have a fat ziptie on ether side, $.02 each, your fix looks better, You can do this fix to my SS II next time your in Lander:D

Will has a good point about the pin, my mig can fix that.

Willy

6. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

You got it Willy. I should be back up that way mid May.