Fuel Gauge Question...help

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by jkwagon, May 16, 2015.

1. jkwagon

jkwagon Farmall Cub

I have a 79 Scout stock everything, 345,4x4, 4speed. Replaced the fuel tank with a used tank (completely refurbished), new vent lines, new sending unit (SSS). Fuel gauge does not give accurate reading, I'm guessing at full tank the gauge is reading between 1/2 to 3/4. Is there an adjustment to get the sending unit and the gauge in sync ? Where did I go wrong with the installation ?
    The Scout had a 33 gal tank that I replaced with the stock 19 gal, Would the gauge somehow be adjusted for the 33 gal tank ?

2. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Universal problem in Scouts and Light Line trucks: Full tank reads half while at empty it may be empty or it may have 3 or more gallons remaining.

What to do? I don't know a universal fix. My 67 service truck has two tanks. I run one empty then swap over to #2 and fill #1. Fuel gauge? Don't need one.

3. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

If the sending unit makes the gauge respond in all positions, then I would check the float for leaks, if ok then I would bend the float arm. Put 1/2 a tank of fuel in the tank, and adjust or confirm the gauge reads 1/2 or there about. Close is good.

4. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

You'd do well to improve the ground path at the sender itself, clean the bulkhead connectors and refurbish the gauges. All the gauges benefit from this process.

5. Roy Purkiss

Roy Purkiss Farmall Cub

how do you "refurish" a guage?

6. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

The circuit boards get corroded over the years causing high resistance which causes the gauges to read low or not at all. Some people have used an eraser to clean up the contacts. I used contact cleaner and emery paper. Also you'd want to replace the stamped nuts with brass. Everything to improve continuity. Sometimes the plug pins can be lose or even broken. They perform better if they're tight to the circuit board but this can be tricky to correct if its a problem. The pins are fragile so lots of care is needed not to make the situation worse. Long ago someone here posted a method of tightening pins, as I recall it involved tiny screws, but I'm not sure and I don't remember how effective it was.
    Generally speaking the object is to clean up years of corrosion, verify the circuits and clean the grounds for better gauge performance. Maybe replace all the light bulbs and possibly a couple broken sockets while you're at it