Fuel delivery questions

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by OldGu, Jul 11, 2019.

1. OldGu

OldGu Farmall Cub

I bought a 74 Scout that was converted from a 258 to a Nissan diesel, nonturbo. Unable to speak with the previous owner who did the conversion. His family stored it in a Minnesota shed since 2002, never drove it. So the brakes are all renewed, ready to begin check list to start it. Question..there is a fuel line from tank to 7" screw on filter. From 7" filter to manual primer pump, to smaller canister, then to injector pump. Does that sound correct? Next question, since the fuel is from 2002, or earlier, what's the best way to clean out tank? Gauge shows half full. Any other info will be helpful. This is my first diesel. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

Diesel can get nasty when in storage for that long. Being in Minnesota it does get cold.if the fuel was not treated to winter use then what little lubrication it had could have gelled.
    The only sure way to clean the tank is to remove it and have it cleaned by a radiator shop. It may cost a few bucks but in the end it will save you money it filters and aggravation.

3. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

Your photo shows the lift pump with the primer mounted to it on the right.

If the hose on the left goes to the engine mounted filter and the hose on the bottom comes from the remote canister you've got it right.

I agree on not using the at least 12 year old fuel. Can you get to the sender from above to remove it for a look inside? Even in '07 fuel was pretty good and the tank might not be too bad since it previously had gas.

You're changing the filters right? I'd fill the filters with something like this https://www.idparts.com/liqui-moly-diesel-purge-500ml-p-448.html and at least pump it through the IP by opening the bleeders. Maybe even run it off a bottle of the stuff with the return line going back to the bottle.

4. OldGu

OldGu Farmall Cub

So I changed both filters and have a 5 gallon can with fresh fuel. Using the primer pump, I get fuel out of the hose going to the IP. To bleed the IP, do I turn the engine over with the starter and crack one line at a time that is on top of the injector? Thanks for the help.

5. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

There are two bleeders on the side of the pump, one on each end, just below the top. I'd pump some fuel through those too with the primer then crank the engine with the injector pipes loose. In your case I'd loosen them all and wrap them with rags and crank the engine.

I'd even consider pulling the plugs for this so you can crank it a while without straining the starter and battery and get the juices flowing.

6. OldGu

OldGu Farmall Cub

Thank you for all the help! So I bled the IP with the two nuts on the side. Saw fuel running out, used the primer punp. I cracked the 6 nuts on top of the IP and saw fuel come out, used the starter. Not a great quantity, but it was wet around all of them. I did the same on the top tubes going into the injectors using the starter. I saw a little squirt coming out of each, but not a ton. All 6 were wet. Still wont start. How much fuel should squirt out? Any other things I should try? Thanks again.

7. Smb09300

Smb09300 Farmall Cub

How's the compression?
    My 1980 won't start without a glow plugs cycle when it's 100 out.
    No beuno, but it still starts and has enough sauce for driving around.

8. OldGu

OldGu Farmall Cub

Thanks for all the ideas. Got it running using all this info. I need to use the glow plugs each time, smokes at start up, but sure is fun to drive. I've put about 100 miles on it so far.