Fuel Consumption at idle gph

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by 540fan, Oct 27, 2013.

1. 540fan

540fan Farmall Cub

Anyone know what the fuel consumption of an SD33t at idle is? I'm thinking of adding an inverter to power a couple of lights or maybe a small electric heater at the hunting camp. Kicking around idea of leaving the scout idle when the power is needed. Still in the half baked idea stage.

My scout has a larger GM 85 amp alternator and a pair if group 31 batteries rated at 950 CCA each, andi have deleted the factory AMP guage.

Ant one fool around with this concept?

2. blue smoke

blue smoke Binder Driver

I would leave it as a half baked idea. unless your sitting in the Scout see you can seethe temp gauge and oil pressure gauge this is not a good idea.

Your inverter will never power an electric heater, if you really want power that badly then buy a generator.

Really a heater at hunting camp?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Farmall Cub

Temps at an idle shouldn't be a problem. Your diesel shouldn't make much heat at idle. I have never messed with inverters but I would agree with blue smoke that an inverter powered heater wouldn't work very well. If you spend much time at your hunting camp you would probably be better off with a generator of some sorts. Cold weather camping gear is cheaper than generators and if you could find an inverter rated high enough it would be very expensive. Just my 2 cents worth. I like your double 31's and high output alt for power though. :thumbs up:

4. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

Let's see, 85 x 14 = 1200 Watts. Not much of a heater for more than a small room.

That's at 100% output. What engine speed does that take?

Then there's the noise.

5. 540fan

540fan Farmall Cub

It is a small room and doesn't take much and having lived in WI for the first forty years I enjoy Carolina cold weather and like the fact the heat is a good thing. A 5500 wtt generator puts out 102 d and burns 5 gallons of gas over night. An idling scout is much quieter and with a good sized inverter may work. Just want to look at the fuel side of the equation.

On another note, it's great to have to run AC during part of deer season down here a concept that was unthinkable up north. :punk:

6. rolinslow

rolinslow Farmall Cub

I dont think normal idle for long periods is a good idea, the engine in cold weather may not make enough heat to properly burn all the fuel. I think it would need to be set up to high idle. There are inverters that will do what you want but they are very expensive, not to mention wear and tear on an engine that is already hard to get parts for.

7. Sammy

Sammy High Wheeler

Big rigs idle for long periods of time, SD the same, just smaller. I've seen small PTO generators for tractors, don't know the $$$ or the complexity of hooking it up on the Scout, just a thought.
    For a small quiet stand alone generator, can't beat a Honda 1000, and easy on fuel.

8. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Farmall Cub

I agree those Hondas are very quiet and nice.

Todd

9. MyDieselScout2

MyDieselScout2 Farmall Cub

Good topic, never occurred to me to rig up the Scout with high power source. I normally lug a heavy gas generator to charge my battery and run power to small appliances on my pop-up (RV) tent trialer.

I just saw this listing for an inverter you can connect to your battery on the vehicle to run upto 1000w, with 110-120v power outlets. Since I already have a 110-120v to 30Amp adapter to power the trailer. I'm asking the same question, is it better to just use my engine as a power back-up to the inverter or lug an 80lb. generator around?

I like the idea, the only thing is takes a 12volt battery to run the unit. I suppose even your stock alternator is good enough to maintain your batteries and inverter with power.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SLDDHQ...e=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B007SLDDHQ

I may just order me one of these.

:beer:

10. rolinslow

rolinslow Farmall Cub

Semi trucks have high idle switches.

1000w @ 120v is arround 8 amps. That may run a few lights, not heaters, a/c, or microwave.

11. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

If 1200 W is adequate you still have the issue of running your alternator at or near 100% and I doubt that happens at idle so you'll have to speed up the idle or overdrive the alternator even more than it is which might be an issue during normal driving.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  12. Bill Mahoney

Bill Mahoney Farmall Cub

Watts in = Watts out
    A 1000 watt inverter at 120 volts = 8.3 amps output
    A 1000 watt inverter at 12 volts =83 amps input if the inverter is 100% efficient, and they are not.
    That load will kill a car battery quickly, and discharge a deep cycle battery rapidly. Your rv style deep cycle 85 amp hour battery will run a 100 watt lightbulb around 10 hours.

13. dslsmoke

dslsmoke Farmall Cub

I have given a lot of thought to something similar for my van and camper combo for some time now,...

You could buy a small generator, (heavy and loud), :nono:

Or if this one works for you, it is not too loud...

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/product/view/id/9057/category/429/

If you are good with your hands and tools, you could build a DC generator using a small engine and a high output alternator wired to 1 or 2 batteries, connect your inverter to the batteries, and you'll have AC outputs. :yes:

The beauty of this setup is, all you have do is keep the batteries charged, you can gear the engine to run much slower than a normal generator, you don't have to worry about output frequency (60hz = 3600 RPM) the inverter will provide the right sign wave for your appliances, basically the same principal used in the newer and higher priced inveter generators.

Hope this helps...