Front Hubs

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by gibby, Aug 14, 2019.

1. gibby

gibby Farmall Cub

i recently replaced everything on the front wheels of my ‘69 Scout 800. If i am reading the service manual correctly i am supposed to tighten the inner nut on the front hubs to 30 ft pounds and then back it off a quarter turn. Then i put the washer in and tighten the outer nut to 50 ft pounds and then bend the washer over the outer nut to keep it from turning.

So i did all that and it seems WAY too tight. I can hardly spin the wheel. What is the communities recommendation for tightening the hubs?

Thanks

2. Sammy

Sammy High Wheeler

Been a while since I've been in there and don't have the manual in front of me. From memory I think another washer went in front of the first nut and then the second nut is supposed to be 150 lbs. I ditched those nuts a long time ago and went with what gm used on their trucks, the four prong.

3. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

4. gibby

gibby Farmall Cub

Thanks but Im talking about the actual wheel hubs (maybe i should call them axle hubs) that hold the inner and outer bearings not the warn locking hubs.

Also regarding the first answer, yes there is an inner washer too that presses against the outer bearing before the first nut. I guess i didnt mention it cause it has nothing to do with torque specs for either nut.

5. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

NP, sorry I couldn't assist.

6. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

If you read back through the manual, you should be turning the hub while tightening the nut. You are simply setting the bearings. Not too tight and not too loose. Hope this helps.

jeff campbell likes this.
  7. INT77345

INT77345 Farmall Cub

OP
    did you get in set in ? i just did my bearings and did like you first nut to 30lbs then backed off 1/4 a turn. i did it with my wheel and tired back on and had my wife slowly spin the tire while i tightened to 30lbs. so when you say you can hardly spin the wheel is your tire bolted on or are you just trying to spin the hub? with tire on mine spines easily i cant say with out the tire on.

8. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

The book (CTS-2302) for my 800B w/ FA-11 (Dana 30 w/ 27 ends) says to "tighten adjusting nut until there's a slight drag on the bearings when the hub is turned; then back off approximately one-sixth turn."
    By "replaced everything on the front wheels of my ‘69 Scout 800", do you mean the bearings too? If so, were they properly lubricated, along with the lip of the new seal?

9. gibby

gibby Farmall Cub

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess the real question is how tight should the wheel be? Should it spin freely or be able to turn but have quite a bit of resistance or somewhere in the middle? When I put 30 pounds on the inner nut it seems pretty good, but when I torque the second nut to 50 the wheel is quite difficult to move. I'm guessing after putting a few miles down the new bearings will seat in and loosen up a bit

10. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Yes, it should loosen up a bit.

11. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

My grandfather was an IH truck mechanic for years as he owned a dealership. He also spent 50 years wrenching. He taught me to use a pair of channel locks to set the bearings on the front wheel hubs. Tighten nut just enough to get resistance but wheel spins absolutely freely. Then find the closest cotter pin (on 2WD) location and done. I am an engineer. I was taught to be perfectly precise in everything I do.

Contrarily, I still follow my grandfather's method. I do initially torque the bearings a little bit and rotate the wheel a few revolutions to work out any stress risers or imperfect uniformity in the metallurgy, but after that, it's by feel.

jeff campbell likes this.
  12. George Womack

George Womack Y-Block King

As you've found out, the play decreases quite a bit when you tighten the outer nut. After tightening the inner nut while rotating the wheel as described above, I usually back it off 1/3 of a turn or 120 degrees. At that point it will seem like there is too much play, but after tightening the outer nut there is much less. This gives the desired amount of play to my way of thinking.

13. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

IS there a torque spec? Some vehicles specify that you torque the nut down and then check the reload with a spring scale.